Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 killed in Donegal crash - Condolences here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

every fourth person in inishowen is a mclaughlin; they're not necessarily closely related.

Unlikely to be three 21 yr olds in the one family also. These details will all come out in the coming days i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

changes wrote: »
    Unlikely to be three 21 yr olds in the one family also. These details will all come out in the coming days i'd imagine.

No I meant cousins... We'll see anyway.

Im not as sure as some people that the fact there were 8 people in the car had anything to do with the cause of the accident though although it's a question whether some would have survived death had they been strapped in to a full sized seat. Im sure most of you have been in an overcrowded car at some point in particular when you were young and I dont think you can accuse them of being stupid for just that alone. The question remains as to the circumstances of the accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

changes wrote: »

True, possibly cousins though.

So desperately sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Right, I've added a few temporary mods to this forum while this is ongoing.

tbh, Atavan-Halen, Insect Overlord and Xavi6 have all kindly agreed to help out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

R.I.P to all involved in this tragedy. My heart goes out to the family and all else involved.

Just also to echo to please keep it respectful and civil :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gym_mom wrote: »

The eight people who died have been named as Hugh Friel, 66, who was driving the red Toyota Corolla. In the other car Paul Doherty,19, Ciaran Sweeney,19, Mark McLaughlin, 21, Eamon McDaid, 22, Patrick PJ McLaughlin, 21,Damian McLaughlin, 21,
    James McElleney, 23.

Oh God this inevitably means that there were multiple members of the one family ie three McLaughlins.. God help their poor families.

Just on Drivetime there, at least one set of first cousins.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mate told me about this earlier and it's horrible stuff. So many lives lost in one tragic incident.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Just to echo what smashey said lads. This is now a condolences thread - you can post memories of the deceased or messages of sympathy or support to their families.

Please do not make any posts attributing blame, speculating on the causes of the accident or questioning other posts/posters - all such posts will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gym_mom wrote: »
    No I meant cousins... We'll see anyway.

Im not as sure as some people that the fact there were 8 people in the car had anything to do with the cause of the accident though although it's a question whether some would have survived death had they been strapped in to a full sized seat. Im sure most of you have been in an overcrowded car at some point in particular when you were young and I dont think you can accuse them of being stupid for just that alone. The question remains as to the circumstances of the accident.

Another problem with over crowding like that would be escaping from the crash and it could cause other problems.

Don't want to go into detail on it but the Garda press conference covered some of this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Heartbreaking stuff , My condolences go out to all the families effected. I think there were 10 people killed over the weekend, an other blood bath on our countries roads.

On Friday night a very good friend of mine was seriously injured in a crash and is currently in ICU, Luckily he will pull through. I can't imagine what these families are going through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

Garda
    straight strech of road
    Road was dry
    Good road surface
    <snip>
    RIP

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This was the first news I heard after I woke up this morning. I'm still in shock. It must be a living hell for the family, friends and communities involved.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Just heard about this in the last hour. In total shock.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to everyone affected.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

God I get chills each time I think about this today, and for someone with no connection to this apart from being from Donegal that has been pretty much all day. I cant even begin to contemplate the horror and pain that the families, friends, neighbours, aquaintances and all of the emergency services involved in this must be feeling.

Although my initial reaction to this was honestly anger, especially for the poor older man, I've now had a bit of a reality check with myself. We've all taken risks, all been 18 and felt invincible, and most of us have had the thankful opportunity to grow old enough to look back on that with the wisdom of hindsight.

These poor poor guys have paid the ultimate price, they have been ripped from their community and their family leaving an irreplacable gap. To those left behond, or in anyway touched by this awful tragedy I offer my most sincere condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My condolences to the family and friends of those who lost their lives, and also, my sympathies to those that had to attend the scene due to their professions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

My condolences to the family and friends of those who lost their lives, annd also, my sympathies to those that had to attend the scene due to their professions.

+1 to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

What a horrible & needless loss of life. My heart goes out to the families, friends and neighbours of all of those involved.

Please ease off apportioning blame at this time. The grief in Donegal must be unbearable at the moment. You cannot put an old head on young shoulders and there are very few of us who can say that we did not do some very stupid things or F****d up badly when we were that age, whether it be drink, drugs, speeding, etc,.

Fortunately for the vast majority of us, we were lucky enough that our mistakes did not have such tragic consequences.

We shouldn't blame young people for their actions but ask ourselves why the hell we still haven't gotten the message across to them by now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

My heartfelt condolences to all affected by this tragedy - family, friends, the affected communities and also the emergency services who tried their best to save anyone they could in this terrible incident.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

<snip> Sorry but this is a thread for condolences only and not the time for speculation or discussion of what may/may have not happened. Please show some respect to all involved. Consider this a verbal warning. </snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

As the parent of a 21 and 18 yo I am going home and give them a hug because there for the grace of God goes any of us

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sorry buddy ,but papering over what has happened is not going to help things.

This area has form.there was a previous collision.

Maybe it's time someone stood up and said it as it is.

Some people up there just drive around like madmen and maybe, just maybe, someone from the local community should take a stand and tell it as it is.

innocent people driving the roads are at risk.

Spare me the bleeding heart.
    And you spare me the crap.

Things need to be said and will be said but this is neither the time nor place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackgraham

I am a cousin of one of the lads in the passat and this has devastated our world. We are in a state of shock and disbelief at the horrific events of last night. I would like to offer my condolences to the families of the other lads killed in the passat and the driver of the corolla.
    We will meet again Ciaran.

jackgraham wrote: »
    I am a cousin of one of the lads in the passat and this has devastated our world. We are in a state of shock and disbelief at the horrific events of last night. I would like to offer my condolences to the families of the other lads killed in the passat and the driver of the corolla.
    We will meet again Ciaran.

I'm very sorry to hear that, my heart goes out to you and your family right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 acrmorris

Sound Bite wrote: »
    We shouldn't blame young people for their actions but ask ourselves why the hell we still haven't gotten the message across to them by now.

Sound Bite, surely to a certain extent the roads have to be self policing.

I am fairly sure that there are many posters even on this thread who use mobile phones while driving, use fog lights because they look more 'cool' than just dipped beams when there is no fog and regularly exceed the posted speed limits. All of these are illegal, and I would say the driver of every third car I see on the road is guilty of one of the above, which is disgraceful. The more experienced drivers here are the way to avoid these tragedies in the future and should lead by example.

The simple cure is to re-read and abide by the rules of the road and let's stop any more people becoming needless RTA statistics.

RIP guys

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

smashey wrote: »
    And you spare me the crap.

Things need to be said and will be said but this is neither the time nor place.

With all due respect to the bereaved families, and to the moderators also, whose job is not easy.
    I am not being smart, but I ask a question that seems to be coming on here all day, yet is deleted....... when is the time and where is the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

my apologies, I didn't realise that this was a condolence thread.

My mistake, mods please feel free to to delete any post from me.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

SilverBell wrote: »
    With all due respect to the bereaved families, and to the moderators also, whose job is not easy.
    I am not being smart, but I ask a question that seems to be coming on here all day, yet is deleted....... when is the time and where is the place?
    This is a condolence thread, so elsewhere. Try the Commuting and Transport thread maybe?

Maybe it is the time.

But while I of course sympathise with the victims and their families, maybe it's time the locals up there decided to take a stand on the driving habits pervasent in that area.

Burying heads in sand is no use, those in positions of influence need to stand up and tell it as it is.

Not referring to this latest of many incidents, are you telling me that speed and poor driving habits have nothing to do with the numerous accidents in the area over the years?

Do something about it rather that trying to plaw maus people and say that something is not what it is.

While I do agree with you in that something needs to be done, now is just not the time. The whole thing is still fresh and raw in peoples minds and the families need time to grieve and mull things over. I'm sure they really don't need all of that right now. Things will happen when the right time comes, but that time is just not now.

As I said before this is a thread for condolences and not the place for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

My condolences to the family of the 66 year old man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Once again folks, please feel free to post any memories of any of the victims or any messages of support for their families. If you've a problem with any post, just report it. Don't draw attention to it by addressing it yourself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement