Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching English in Korea

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Nody wrote: »
    Mono and Izzy; the two of you are bickering like two cats over a bowl of cream. For most board readers the definition of a gyopo is honestly irrelevant and I'm sorry to say it over all is really making this thread more difficult to read.

Would both of you mind to return to the subject at hand which is teaching in Asia and not the definition of how to define a gyopo? I personally find the first a lot more interesting then the second...

Your quite right. I'm not going to continue it anymore.

And could a mod possibly clean up this thread ? Delete the irrelevant nonsense ?

Also how can I edit the original post ? I want to add more info there.

Back to the main topic.

Anyone thinking of coming over here and is interested in public schools and/or Universities. Now is definitely the time to apply for next semester. It might even be too late for most schools as they want to hire early in case people pull out.

But you always have schools who end up with little time to find someone and you can usually get a better deal off them because they are a little desperate to get people before the semester starts.

www.worknplay.co.kr

Heres a typical private school position.

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/view_JOB.php?sect=2&id=testjob&sele=&p=1&keyfield=&keyword=&no=191565&cateCode=&slist=1&keyword_top=&gally=3&job_sel=&type_sel=&loca1_sel=&loca2_sel=&loca3_sel=

1. Hokwon in Mapo-gu, Seoul

Location information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapo-gu
    It's in Seoul and close to probably the major club district, especially for University students. There are 3-4 major Universities located in this area so its a huge party/drinking place.

- Starting date: August 24h
    - Working Hours: 2:40pm ~ 10pm M-F for six months
    2:40pm ~ 10pm M-Thur./3pm~7pm Sat for 6 months
    - Salary: 2.1m ~ 2.4m

Try to get 2.3, settle for 2.2.

- Teaching target: Elementary ~ middle
    - Single housing offered
    - Vacation: 10 days + National Holidays

10 days holiday is standard but don't let the National Holidays fool you. Korea has f-all of them. There is a national holiday where you get the most or all of a week off called Chuseok so thats good.

- Airfare: round trip
    - National pension / health insurance: 50% paid by the school
    - Severance: equal to one month salary
    - # of foreign teachers: 10

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I don't think they're as good compared to other teaching jobs in China, as uni in Korea can be to other jobs in Korea, if that makes sense. The pay doesn't seem to be any better, but the hours seem to be. Holidays too, but I don't know if you're paid for them in China. I'd assume the potential for privates is there as in Korea.

Holidays are usually that you receive 2/3 of a normal months pay. The reason why University teaching is more sought after is because of the low hours (which allows you the freedom for a 2nd job), and also the lower risk that you'll be messed with by management. There's also the rather large incentive of teaching adults as opposed to children. The point is that most private schools may advertise to you that they teach both, but you'll likely end up teaching kinder or middle school at some stage. So if you'd like to keep away from kids, then Uni's are very attractive.

Privates are usually where the main potential for decent incomes. I know a few guys on 4500 rmb from their uni and make about 9k from privates. So they're earning a very respectable amount especially when free accommodation is considered.
    monosharp wrote: »
    Nor are they considered 'foreign' either. (In Korea)

Its a cultural concept which we don't have.

We'll just have to disagree here. From my experience, there is a rather large distinction made between those born in-country and those that were born elsewhere. Still Chinese but almost contaminated by foreign influences.
    But this doesn't mean they are treated as a foreigner, they're treated in a very specific way because of their racial background.

But the point is that they're not treated the same as any other korean... they're treated differently. They won't be treated as a white faced westerner. They're something else.
    A female postgrad student here in one of the Universities tried to prove that she and a small group of women could pick out the gyopo students in other universities based on the above. The type and amount of makeup, colour of the skin, hairstyle, clothes etc.

She was proven wrong. Very low rate of success.

I can tell the difference between an Asian and other nationalities simply by the way they walk from a distance of about 300 meters. I've actually gotten quite good at it since I came back to Ireland. So, I think there are ways to pick up on differences between different groupings of Asians. Just takes time, practice, and experimentation.

We'll just have to disagree here. From my experience, there is a rather large distinction made between those born in-country and those that were born elsewhere. Still Chinese but almost contaminated by foreign influences.

I was referring to Koreans, not Chinese.
    But the point is that they're not treated the same as any other korean...

No but they are not treated like a foreigner either.

As I said, its a concept we don't have in the West.
    I can tell the difference between an Asian and other nationalities simply by the way they walk from a distance of about 300 meters. I've actually gotten quite good at it since I came back to Ireland. So, I think there are ways to pick up on differences between different groupings of Asians. Just takes time, practice, and experimentation.

To tell the difference between Koreans and gyopos ? i.e 'Koreans who were born or have lived for a long time abroad' ?

No. You can't. It was tried and it failed dramatically.

• I can tell the difference between an Asian and other nationalities simply by the way they walk from a distance of about 300 meters. I've actually gotten quite good at it since I came back to Ireland. So, I think there are ways to pick up on differences between different groupings of Asians. Just takes time, practice, and experimentation.

That definitely can't be true, didn't you read the post about that one girl who did a small study on telling the difference between Koreans and gyopos? She failed, so that means nobody in the entire world is able to see the difference. You are definitely 100% wrong, because it just can't be done. Nope, no way. Out of here with your fancy ideas ;)

• Advertisement

I was referring to Koreans, not Chinese.

Doesn't matter. I've dated Koreans in both China and Australia, and have heard their own experiences of what it was like in their own country, and the many reasons as to why they chose to live outside.

And TBH these problems are common to most Asian nationalities. The Japanese are just as bad at treating those that were born abroad, but of Japanese heritage differently, even if they can speak the language perfectly, and know all the customs inside out.
    No but they are not treated like a foreigner either.

As I said, its a concept we don't have in the West.

They're not treated the same as any other Korean.
    To tell the difference between Koreans and gyopos ? i.e 'Koreans who were born or have lived for a long time abroad' ?

No. You can't. It was tried and it failed dramatically.

Why is it impossible for anyone else to be able to do it, simply because you knew one person who failed at it?

And TBH these problems are common to most Asian nationalities.

Because they're all the same ? Black hair black eyes and culturally similar ?:rolleyes:
    The Japanese are just as bad at treating those that were born abroad, but of Japanese heritage differently, even if they can speak the language perfectly, and know all the customs inside out.

I can't really comment because I've never lived there for any long period of time. Only a few months and although I do have many Japanese friends and colleagues here I don't know about this issue.
    They're not treated the same as any other Korean.

Well theres your big difference between Korea and whatever Asian country your talking about isn't it.

A gyopo is expected to know the language, know the culture and essentially BE Korean. Because thats what gyopo means, 'Korean blood overseas'.

If they do know the language and cultural etiquette then they are accepted and are treated pretty much the same as a Korean.

If they don't know the language or the cultural etiquette then people are confused about why they don't know it and they can be treated with a form of mild annoyance because they don't know the language or culture.
    Why is it impossible for anyone else to be able to do it, simply because you knew one person who failed at it?

To pick out gyopos from Koreans by appearance with any level of success ?

Because a Korean who lived abroad for a long time and returned is called a gyopo.
    A Korean who was born and raised abroad and then returned to Korea and subsequently lived there for 20 years is called a gyopo.
    A Korean who spent half his life in Korea and moved abroad and then moved back is called a gyopo.

Where 'abroad' means any country including China and Japan where there are very large Korean communities.

Most gyopos are absolutely indistinguishable from Koreans. Some are obvious especially those that were born and raised in Western countries.

That definitely can't be true, didn't you read the post about that one girl who did a small study on telling the difference between Koreans and gyopos?

Nice how in your last post you didn't respond to any part of that newspaper article which agreed with everything I had said.

Anyways, this really is my last post on this.

Because they're all the same ? Black hair black eyes and culturally similar ?:rolleyes:

Its interesting that you're finding it so difficult to agree with me, and throwing out rather silly objections.

There are aspects of Asian society which have similarities across many different countries, this is just one of them.
    I can't really comment because I've never lived there for any long period of time. Only a few months and although I do have many Japanese friends and colleagues here I don't know about this issue.

Ask them, perhaps?
    Well theres your big difference between Korea and whatever Asian country your talking about isn't it.

A gyopo is expected to know the language, know the culture and essentially BE Korean. Because thats what gyopo means, 'Korean blood overseas'.

If they do know the language and cultural etiquette then they are accepted and are treated pretty much the same as a Korean.

If they don't know the language or the cultural etiquette then people are confused about why they don't know it and they can be treated with a form of mild annoyance because they don't know the language or culture.

Its amazing the way you argue about this. Even the manner of your posts suggest that they're treated differently, and yet you can't just come out and admit it.
    Most gyopos are absolutely indistinguishable from Koreans. Some are obvious especially those that were born and raised in Western countries.

And just say I agree with you, that most are indistinguishable.. then pure logic suggests that some are identifiable, which therefore encourages the belief that it is a talent/skill that can be encouraged, and developed to become rather effective. :D

I sent u a pm, I'm not continuing this here.

• Advertisement

• monosharp wrote: »
    Nice how in your last post you didn't respond to any part of that newspaper article which agreed with everything I had said.

Anyways, this really is my last post on this.

Because it's pointless. Don't you get it? I could dig up an article saying the opposite, or a blog post from a gyopo who is treated as a Korean/treated as a foreigner/just about any other thing on earth, or a Korean who disagrees with you. You have a serious problem with the difference between fact and opinion. It's quite alarming. That newspaper article doesn't prove anything, other than other people out there have the same opinion as you. Just because one person failed at telling the difference between gyopos and Koreans, you think nobody can. This is not a black/white, right/wrong issue. If a person teaching in private school claims they need to know and teach grammar, it doesn't make them wrong just because it's not what you or I have experienced. If a person claims their job is really hard work, they're not wrong just because you found it easy. Even two teachers working in the same school can have different experiences and feelings because of how they perceive things differently. It's just so bizarre that you keep labelling people 'wrong' for simply having a different idea or experience to you. The only way someone can be downright 'wrong' is if they post an inaccurate fact.

I think you just have to be right, all the time. You've basically backtracked and are now saying the same thing klaz said, but are arguing as if you don't agree with him at all. I made a post about visa stuff which was almost totally accurate and you picked on the one tiny thing I got wrong (and I admitted it was slightly wrong), which didn't affect the message in any way. What are you trying to achieve by being so pedantic? This thread is largely helpful and as I said, you do obviously know a lot about Korea and teaching there, but there's no need to be rude to other people who have things to say about it. You do know it's perfectly possible to disagree without saying the person is wrong or implying they're an idiot or know nothing about Korea?

Example of a University job available now.

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/view_JOB.php?sect=2&id=testjob&sele=&p=1&keyfield=&keyword=&no=191580&cateCode=&slist=1&keyword_top=&gally=3&job_sel=&type_sel=&loca1_sel=&loca2_sel=&loca3_sel=

Title: UNIV JOB in Chungnam province

Wiki info here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungcheongnam-do

Wiki info about the City here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seosan_City

Class level: Univ students
    Class schedule: 3-7PM, M-F (teaching 20hrs a week)
    Starting date: AUG 17th
    Salary: 2.5mil

2.5 million won = 1,623 euros. This is good money for the location and you'll probably be able to save quite a lot.

Benefit : Housing furnished
    one-year end serverance
    50% pension and health insurance
    30 days paid vacation
    A roundtrip airfare

You can get the pension back as far as I am aware. I think you need to contact the Irish embassy regarding this.

Roundtrip airfare is standard.

Requirement: MA prefered

MA preferred does not = MA is required. All Universities ask for MA and the vast majority have to settle for Bachelors even in Seoul. Outside Seoul (like this University) I'd guess that 90%+ of Universities have to accept Bachelors.

Basically ignore this.

If you are interested, please send me your resume with recent photo through nari.lee86@gmail.com

Good videa about teaching in South Korea.

Part 2

Comment: I don't agree with him regarding 'who can get jobs'. He exaggerates how difficult it is for over 30 year olds. Anyone will get a job if your a native English speaker with a degree. But he is right regarding 'good jobs'.

Directions to the 'Irish' bar in Seoul. To be honest it's a yankfest most of the time, sporting events excluded. But they do have great food.

I sent u a pm, I'm not continuing this here.

Which I've answered. But I really prefer to keep these conversations within the actual posting area. I'm not going to have a full blown private conversation with you about this.

Which I've answered. But I really prefer to keep these conversations within the actual posting area. I'm not going to have a full blown private conversation with you about this.

It's off-topic here and people have asked us to stop. If you want to, open a thread in the Korea forum or somewhere else and I will answer you there.

Well, I guess you didn't tread my message then. I'm fine with stopping it, although I'm with Abraham Yummy Vessel on this one.

Private School Position

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/view_JOB.php?sect=2&id=testjob&sele=&p=1&keyfield=&keyword=&no=191599&cateCode=&slist=1&keyword_top=&gally=3&job_sel=&type_sel=&loca1_sel=&loca2_sel=&loca3_sel=

Teaching experience is NOT required. We are looking for a teacher who loves children and has a strong work ethics to foster a positive learning environment for students.

[JOB DESCRIPTION]
    English Academy in Bupyeong City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupyeong-gu,_Incheon

This is a small 'city' of half a million people. But, while they may refer to it as a city. Its just a small part of the enormous Seoul metropolitan area. Basically there are many cities all connected to eachother, including Seoul, in this area.

Its actually a great place. I used to work here and you get a slightly slower pace of life than you would in Seoul yet you are only 40 minutes from Seoul on the subway.

It has a great nite life actually both for foreigners and for Koreans. There are 3 or 4 'foreign' bars here where both Koreans and foreigners congregate. For some reason I don't understand, the place seems to be full of Irish, Aussies, South Africans and British. Usually Canadians and Yanks would be in the majority, at least in my experience, everywhere else.

Heres a video showing the street at night.

Starting Date: middle of August 2010
    - 10~15 minutes from Bupyeong Gucheong Station
    Working hour: 2:00pm~10:00pm

Working time is pretty standard for private schools.

Teaching Level: elementary~middle
    # of foreign teacher: 1
    Salary: 2.2 KRW

Standard wage.

Benefits: medical insurance/severance pay/flight tickets
    Housing: full-furnished single housing walking distance from school
    City Info: http://www.icbp.go.kr/foreign/eng/

To Apply:
    Please send me your resume and photo at esl.hagwon@gmail.com

P.S - I'm just posting some jobs I think are good and interesting, I posted this one because of the location which I think is great, especially for someones first year.

Is anyone interested in these postings ? They're all available on www.worknplay.co.kr, I just pick and choose 1 or 2 to show you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Just applied to that Monosharp, they are appreciated so keep them coming.

Should have mentioned this earlier.

Korean resumes are extremely different to ours.

For a Korean applying for a job they must include a picture, weight, height, age, religion, marital status, smoking and/or drinking habits (saying no to drinking is actually a no-no. They're required to drink believe it or not).

For foreigners its more relaxed but a photograph is pretty much required.

For an example check out this thread;

http://www.koreabusinesscentral.com/forum/topics/korean-resume-templateformat?commentId=3463326:Comment:7741&xg_source=activity

The 6th reply gives a Korean style resume as an attachment.

Saying that, the Irish style is grand but you usually must also send them a photo or include it in your resume.

I'd highly recommend getting a passport sized photo done wearing a decent but informal shirt, and clean shaven. make sure your hair if tidy if possible. The point is that Asians have a certain belief as to how westerners should look. You'll get a better acceptance rate if you can play up to that, even if you're completely different when you arrive.

I have two sets of photos for resumes. For universities, I have a more formal including shirt/tie combination. For private schools, I have the much more informal attire.

When you get your photo done get at least 6 copies. For many visa applications, the employer will ask for 6 photo's and its useful if they match the one on your resume.

• Advertisement

New Job for a city I'd recommend especially for first timers.

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/view_JOB.php?sect=2&id=testjob&sele=&p=1&keyfield=&keyword=&no=191611&cateCode=&slist=1&keyword_top=&gally=3&job_sel=&type_sel=&loca1_sel=&loca2_sel=&loca3_sel=

Dear teachers,

We are looking for native English teachers, and you will be the fourth native teacher here who work with 3 Korean English teacher. Considering we have teachers from America, Ireland and Australia, a teacher from England will be welcomed. However, we still welcome teachers from other countries. We sponsor visa application.

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucheon

Its a small city of about a million people located between Seoul and Incheon (where the international airport is located). It's about 40 minutes from the centre of Seoul on the Subway. Great location, full of foreigners, its a new city and there's lots to do here.

Salary:
    For E2
    Salary 2.7-3.0m (including housing allowance, airfare and medical insurance), 2m KRW severance pay,

Good pay

6 paid holidays, 4 day school vacation + national holidays
    or 2.1-2.3m KRW + single accommodation (0.4m KRW equivalent) + 50% of medical insurance + 2m KRW severance pay on the completion of 1 year contract + return air fare.
    6 paid holidays, 4 day school vacation + national holidays

Starting date: 1st, September 2010 or later

Working hours: Monday __Friday, 1:00- 8:40 (Full time), up to 33 classes per week (normally 25-6 classes per week, 45minutes)

Age group: Elementary school 4th -6th, middle school students

Class size: ideally 2-6, not more than 6 students

Teaching subjects: Reading, listening and discussion classes plus some adults classes

Requirements:

Native English speakers
    Minimum 1 year experience of teaching
    Hold 3 or 4 year university degree in any major (BA/BS/BEd degree or higher)
    No criminal record

To apply, please submit your resume focusing on your work experience (doc8808@daum.net). Also provide us with your current position and location, and any information to show your talent, abilities and passion.

Required Documents:
    * CV in English (preferably in MS word or Hangul)
    * Cover letter in English
    * Original Diploma to be submitted at the time of interview
    * For foreign nationals, a criminal record will be requested at a later stage.
    * Only the shortlisted applicants will be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

* For foreign nationals, a criminal record will be requested at a later stage.
    What do you need to prove this to them?

What do you need to prove this to them?

Call your local gardai station and ask them for a criminal background check. Give them a list of the addresses you've lived at. (I couldn't remember some so just left those out, don't think it's too strict)

Took me a week to get it (3 years ago) but a mates took a month so I suggest requesting it early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anybody know what these phone interviews consist of?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Anybody know what these phone interviews consist of?

Usually its just an attempt to get a handle on your accent and to figure out if your English is understandable. They might ask a few different questions, but TBH the PI is rarely a big deal. Just try to have a clear connection, speak well, don't get too relaxed with them, etc. Its a walk in the park.

Usually its just an attempt to get a handle on your accent and to figure out if your English is understandable. They might ask a few different questions, but TBH the PI is rarely a big deal. Just try to have a clear connection, speak well, don't get too relaxed with them, etc. Its a walk in the park.

Exactly. I'd also recommend speaking very slightly slower than usual and try to pronounce words properly. Don't forget that 'three' and 'tree' don't sound the same as us Irish tend to forget about our 'th's a lot. ;)

I recommend this job because of the location.

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/view_JOB.php?sect=2&id=testjob&sele=&p=1&keyfield=&keyword=&no=191715&cateCode=&slist=1&keyword_top=&gally=3&job_sel=&type_sel=&loca1_sel=&loca2_sel=&loca3_sel=
    It's a full-time job in Suwon. Looking for two teachers.
    Prefer F2visa holders!!!
    Possible to provide E2visa as well.

-- F2 = Married to a Korean. E2 = Sponsored Visa. Ignore this, they are trying their luck for F2's because they don't have to give them airfare. They will most definitely accept E2's.

Looking for a teacher who has American style pronunciation.

-- Again, ignore this. It's their preference but they'll settle. Also for some odd reason I haven't figured out, Koreans seem to think that the Irish accent is 'American'. Their idea of the British accent is from movies like Love Actually.

Please send me your resume and a recent photo by email. missnmr2@gmail.com

Location : W. Suwon city – 15min by bus from Suwon stn. or 2hrs by express bus from Jamsil stn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suwon

--Good place. Know lots of people there, it's new, generally clean and a generally rich area.

1) Working schedule : Modany ~ Friday
    2) Working Hours: 1~9pm
    3) Target student: elementary and middle
    4) Pay: 2.0~2.5m/month
    5) starting Date : ASAP
    6) Contract : 1year
    * Famous franchise English academy in Korea!!
    * Required an experienced, funny and bright teacher for students!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

What time of year is best to apply? I wont have my degree till the middle of september

• Advertisement

eire2009 wrote: »
    What time of year is best to apply? I wont have my degree till the middle of september

Depends on what kind of position.

For Uni jobs you need to apply 2-3 months before the start of the Semester. So apply about October/November for January semester. June/July for September Semester.

For private schools, anytime.

Advertisement