Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatwave for end of July?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for posting that SC, I noted the Valentia sounding had a tight cap on the inversion from 500 to about 1200 metres, when this breaks up tomorrow morning it could become rather unstable so we'll have to watch carefully how the cold front develops moving into this stable (not so) warm wedge. This may also under-perform or it might just decide to go off with a bang someplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

MT, I mentioned a week ago that it felt like the grey muck was here to stay, perhaps that's just from living here. It still feels like grey muck is here to stay. You have to be here to appreciate just true grey muckeyness, is very hard to forecast as nowhere on earth can be that dull for that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its like a winters morning outside except for the temp. Its raining and very dull, temp about 15C. No breeze at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its the end of July, so no heatwave. Typical crap, I suppose we will have to wait till the end of August then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ch750536 wrote: »
    MT, I mentioned a week ago that it felt like the grey muck was here to stay, perhaps that's just from living here. It still feels like grey muck is here to stay. You have to be here to appreciate just true grey muckeyness, is very hard to forecast as nowhere on earth can be that dull for that long.

Echoing this; Ireland is very... experiential. And very atmospheric. Things that go beyond science.

"grey muck" is indeed the phrase to be used these days. Deluges and thick, heavy cloud cover that deadens all senses.

Time to hibernate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Plug wrote: »
    Its the end of July, so no heatwave. Typical crap, I suppose we will have to wait till the end of August then:rolleyes:

Im moving to Toronto. I think next summer will be rather 'auntie Betty' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Just looking at GFS FI. It's got HP over us from 7th to 15th August and 10-15 850hpa temps and has us in 564 dam air for most of the time.:eek: And we might get continental air rather than Atlantic air. What are the chances of that coming off? And I'm on holiday that week too! New thread for mid-August heatwave anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldnt get excited yet about a heatwave, this weeks heatwave turned out to be nothing more than cloudy weather with barely a glimse of sunshine and temperatures around 18C for most of the week and now it's pouring rain, we've had just another crap July with struggling temperatures and mostly cloudy and wet conditions and the outlook into the beginning of August is cool, wet and miserable. Im just about to give up hope for the rest of this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Its been a mucher better end to July here than other years. We had a few drops this mornin but there has been no rain here in over a week which is what I call a miracle..Its grey between the sun but for the first summer in years the kids are out playing which has created many a happy mammmy. ive tons of ironing of do as got so mch dry rather than using the dryer so im pleased enough. Its been very warm too here - 20's most days ... When I think back to the last few summers - yuck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Another damp squib summer here in Donegal - looking at the long term forecast for my area on Yr.no and there's rain forecast for every single day for the foreseeable - very little sun showing in any of the icons. This grey muck is just headache weather :( I'm giving up now ... hello winter :mad:

• Advertisement

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Its been a mucher better end to July here than other years. We had a few drops this mornin but there has been no rain here in over a week which is what I call a miracle..Its grey between the sun but for the first summer in years the kids are out playing which has created many a happy mammmy. ive tons of ironing of do as got so mch dry rather than using the dryer so im pleased enough. Its been very warm too here - 20's most days ... When I think back to the last few summers - yuck !

Where are you? Sounds.. heaven! Not even daring to do washing as cannot afford to run a drier and no way of hanging it out in this weather..

Please correct me on this by all means.. But in my early years in Ireland we had a heatwave in I think August? Temps into the 80s.

I am here nearly ten years now so that narrows the scope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1995 was the last real stinker, just a few periods of warm summer since then like 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Domscard wrote: »
    Another damp squib summer here in Donegal - looking at the long term forecast for my area on Yr.no and there's rain forecast for every single day for the foreseeable - very little sun showing in any of the icons. This grey muck is just headache weather :( I'm giving up now ... hello winter :mad:
    i am also looking forward to winter
    we have nothing but drizzle fog and rain here and there seem to be no end to it, hard to get lawn cut, or clothese line dried,
    have better chance in the winter, may be a few degrees cooler, but it is a lot more days dry,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The weather was good here from April to the beginning of July and the last week has been relatively OK. So instead of heading back to winter we really need to head back to May/June!

It's got very warm and humid here near Dublin city centre in the last while, since the rain stopped. Must be in the warm wedge of air now - I see DP for Dublin is 18C! All we need now is some sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

2003 was a great summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Graces7 wrote: »
    Where are you? Sounds.. heaven! Not even daring to do washing as cannot afford to run a drier and no way of hanging it out in this weather..

Grace you really dont get the best of weather do you. Like you though I was housebound in the snow - I have a steep driveway & had solid ice for 2 weeks ... Eventually we had to winch the car out.... Im just south of Dublin by the sea.. It is possibly the best summer in many years.... beautiful & not even the sea breeze is cooling us like it should be. I did however attach the sun brolley to the clothes line thee a few weeks ago as was fed up with non-drying - it worked a treat but ive now had the pleasure of removing .. beautiful evening.. Ive been sitting out in the sun since about 5 having a good read ... Listening to all the kiddies out playing ....very hot between clouds.. Trog's station hit 22.4 down on the beach there just after 5 so would imagine a bit warmer up here with me... Very relaxing weather. Im not bragging but I honestly havent found myself this chilled out in a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

lucy2010 wrote: »
    It is possibly the best summer in many years.... beautiful & not even the sea breeze is cooling us like it should be. I did however attach the sun brolley to the clothes line thee a few weeks ago as was fed up with non-drying - it worked a treat but ive now had the pleasure of removing .. beautiful evening.. Ive been sitting out in the sun since about 5 having a good read ... Listening to all the kiddies out playing ....very hot between clouds.. Trog's station hit 22.4 down on the beach there just after 5 so would imagine a bit warmer up here with me... Very relaxing weather. Im not bragging but I honestly havent found myself this chilled out in a long long time.

JEALOUS :o

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think the heat wave is a non-runner??

Seems that the end of July was a matter of some over ambitious forecasts, which never materialised. Ireland has very difficult weather to forecast for any time span, which is over 2/3 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this summer is like chasing cold snaps in the winter, the good weather always seems to be close by but never makes it to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Gonzo wrote: »
    this summer is like chasing cold snaps in the winter, the good weather always seems to be close by but never makes it to Ireland.

except we had a lot more success chasing cold snaps than we had chasing sun. . :(

Advertisement