Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatwave for end of July?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Very confusing for someone on the weather forum for the first time. First 2 threads: Another wet july? and Heatwave for the end of July?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Very confusing for someone on the weather forum for the first time. First 2 threads: Another wet july? and Heatwave for the end of July?!!!
    this is the most perfect introduction to the irish weather surely! utterly unpredictable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

And, I imagine, not at all mutually exclusive either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

It's the Apocalypse I tells ya!
    Much more of this and I'll be up in Knock staring at the sun with that fella who talks to Jesus. Or I would if i could see beyond the thick rainclouds..

ME:

The early days of next week will be cloudy and mild with rain at times. But there are tentative signs that the weather may settle back down again after midweek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

lord lucan wrote: »
    I hope he's right. Rain was badly needed in many areas but a little sunshine wouldn't go amiss now.

Can't be bad for the economy either. When the weather was good i noticed that the BBQ's were out in force,people were buying a lot more food and drink. People were also out a lot more. I was out in Howth one of the hot weekends and the place was hopping. Chippers had ques out the door and the little market was doing a roaring trade. A friend of mine brought their kids to the zoo and said it was packed,never seen it so busy.

Contrast that with the weekend just gone. Saturday it was raining here in Dublin all day. I had plans to go out but ended up staying in. There was feck all at Croker to see the Dubs(doesn't help that they're poor atm too),the poor weather putting many off going. I've no statistical evidence for it but it seems that the good weather means people spend more than normal which is all good for an economy still wobbling badly.

Was back in London last weekend. The heat was mental. All at our BBQ were hiding under the gazebo's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I have my fingers and toes crossed that ye are right about this heatwave!!?

I have the last week in July booked off work and I am holidaying in Ireland this year!!

please please please please mr weatherman!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

I would kiss you if you were right, I have this week off work :D odd coincidence is the last time I had a week off was the end off May and that week was a sorcher

• Registered Users Posts: 35 J1

Me too. I am heading to West Cork this Sat for two weeks and really want atleast dry weather but hot and sunny would be bliss. Please keep us posted you experts as I rely on this board more than met eireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

is there a chance this potential warm weather will be extending north to scotland? i have a wedding the august bank holiday there.

if im in scotland the one week ireland gets a scorcher i wont be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

df1985 wrote: »
    is there a chance this potential warm weather will be extending north to scotland? i have a wedding the august bank holiday there.

if im in scotland the one week ireland gets a scorcher i wont be happy!

Scotlands weather is the exact same as here it is NEVER different! For example today is cloudy there, cloudy here, drizzle here, drizzle there.

owenc wrote: »
    Scotlands weather is the exact same as here it is NEVER different! For example today is cloudy there, cloudy here, drizzle here, drizzle there.

Scotland is a big country, most of it is much cooler and snowier in winter time than any part of Norn iron . . .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the south-east of scotland can also sometimes benefit from the heatwaves that the uk often gets that Ireland totally miss's out on.

Scotland is a big country, most of it is much cooler and snowier in winter time than any part of Norn iron . . .

Its only 30 miles away the weather will be no different, and i don't live in norn iron i live in northern ireland!:mad:

Its only 30 miles away the weather will be no different, and i don't live in norn iron i live in northern ireland!:mad:

Most of it is cooler and snowier. Most of it isn't 30 miles away from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

So much for everyone getting along and ejoying the weather , why get so angry about somebody saying scotland is colder than northern ireland , it is get over it , 30 miles can be alot in weather , plus the fact that most of it is alot further north and east than northern ireland and that alot of it is at higher altitude.

Oh and this is my first post on boards.:)

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    So much for everyone getting along and ejoying the weather , why get so angry about somebody saying scotland is colder than northern ireland , it is get over it , 30 miles can be alot in weather , plus the fact that most of it is alot further north and east than northern ireland and that alot of it is at higher altitude.

Oh and this is my first post on boards.:)

Congratulations, 2 more and you'll be addicted!!!

Well the weather is much more exciting if we argue over it a little bit . . .:)

Most of it is cooler and snowier. Most of it isn't 30 miles away from you.

Well most of it is closer to me than most of down south.

Doesn't mean it has the same climate though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Not true. The ruler function on Google Earth is cool. You should try it.

As the crow flies, you are a few miles closer to Cork than you are to John O' Groats in NE Scotland.

Actually, your even closer to my house in South Carlow than you are to Aberdeen.

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Not true. The ruler function on Google Earth is cool. You should try it.

As the crow flies, you are a few miles closer to Cork than you are to John O' Groats in NE Scotland.

Actually, your even closer to my house in South Carlow than you are to Aberdeen.

Actually i'm closer to the most northern point in scotland than the most southern point in this island! I'm even closer to girvan than newcastle, county down.

With all due respect, whether someone lives closer to edinburgh than castlebar etc. is not contributing anything to this thread.

GFS is not looking so positive now for next week although it certainly won't be as unsettled as this week. Things will improve gradually but we may have to wait another week to ten days before we see anything resembling June's weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ye met eireann have removed the part about the weather settling down next week:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

And I've been telling everyone I know that the weather for the end of July is going to be great...........

Noffles wrote: »
    And I've been telling everyone I know that the weather for the end of July is going to be great...........
    we are two weeks away yet and the signs are promising for it to settle down, just not as quickly as initially believed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

this really is turning out to be just like the winter charts watch,we were all getting excited about the charts forecast for a week ahead but it just kept being pushed out into FI,this summer is going the same way,the charts are really getting to the point were they are useless anything further out than a couple of days,imo :o
    have been watching intensely for this weekend's forecast as the motorcycle road racing is on at my local circuit Kells,the forecast and charts have changed nearly every day this week and at present it looks like pot luck with the chance of rain Sunday in the area but also a good chance it will stay dry?!?!?!?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ken Ring on the radio now saying basically we've had our summer and peak temperatures (in June)! No hot or long dry periods for the rest of July or August. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ken Ring on the radio now saying basically we've had our summer and peak temperatures (in June)! No hot or long dry periods for the rest of July or August. :(

Well, I would settle for ONE dry day in July - with maybe a wee bit of notice so that I can put together a picnic. Not one single day without rain at some point here in weeks - most days (like today) are steadily pouring :( It's the constant greyness that is so depressing ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

DOCARCH wrote: »

I wondered if he was referring to some people on this forum when he talked about having some detractors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

sick of the rain,it's summer ffs!!!!!

Advertisement