Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying Tug Boats on the Liffey

Options
  • 12-07-2010 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Anyone know what's going on with the tug boats spraying water at Samuel Beckett Bridge? Its been going on all morning and some people going to work are getting drenched! Just wondering what the point of it is!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Might be something to do with the docklands French week? Perhaps it is an old custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Could they be washing it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When ye gotta go, ye gotta go!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

WindSock wrote: »
    Might be something to do with the docklands French week? Perhaps it is an old custom.

It's probably just to keep the seagulls from following the trawler whiel they throw fish into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

pampers1 wrote: »
    Its been going on all morning and some people going to work are getting drenched!

Could they not go over a different bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

They wanna see how many people will cross it knowing they may get drenched...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Brendog wrote: »
    Could they not go over a different bridge?

I'm sure they could... I just wanted to know why it was happening... that is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

They are probably just cleaning it....I go to college nearby and The top of it can get dirty from car fumes and such..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's probably just to keep the seagulls from following the trawler whiel they throw fish into the sea.

Those crazy French! What will they do next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

They are filming an advert for Lotto, i can only presume that the theme of the ad will be something like, if you win the Lotto you can buy good weather or stop rain or something like that :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Was the spraying kind like this?

shirly-smith-crowd-control-on-water1.jpg

Either for a special event or testing the gear. Won't be for washing, who'd wash a boat in Liffey water?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Dyflin wrote: »
    Was the spraying kind like this?

shirly-smith-crowd-control-on-water1.jpg

Either for a special event or testing the gear. Won't be for washing, who'd wash a boat in Liffey water?! :eek:

yes exactly like that, i'm looking at them now, from my office window :)
    anyway, as i said, they filming an ad, and creating rain ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Paulyh wrote: »
    They are filming an advert for Lotto, i can only presume that the theme of the ad will be something like, if you win the Lotto you can buy good weather or stop rain or something like that :rolleyes:

The theme will be when your're rich in Ireland you can do whatever the **** you want and get away with it. That includes pissing on the average joe soap. In fact it's frowned upon if you don't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Paulyh wrote: »
    That's what I also heard. €160 for standing around for a while - not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'd wondered myself what they were up to,the boats have been there since before 8am this morning, not cheap I suspect. I've often seen them docked at the eastlink and wondered what their for,apart from spraying water nicely I assume their tugboats yes?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've seen them do it with new boats down in the port.. some kind of opening/christening ritual I think?

Has it had an official opening ceremony yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

for a film I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ultach

I was in the area and asked one of the security guards at the French week thing.
    Apparently it was nothing to do with them, but the Lotto were filming a new ad, and the tugboats were trying to make a rainbow by spraying the water. The weather was pretty grim that day though, so thats why they were at it all day - i doubt they got the desired effect on film!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ultach wrote: »
    I was in the area and asked one of the security guards at the French week thing.
    Apparently it was nothing to do with them, but the Lotto were filming a new ad, and the tugboats were trying to make a rainbow by spraying the water. The weather was pretty grim that day though, so thats why they were at it all day - i doubt they got the desired effect on film!

Surely it would be easier and cheaper to create a CGI rainbow?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ultach

You kids and your new new fangled CGI rainbows!

But yeah, probably. Did anyone else notice that a lot of people were sitting on the new bridge with coffees and umbrellas though? I'm assuming they were extras and were to play up to the camera once there was an actual rainbow?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

pampers1 wrote: »
    Its been going on all morning and some people going to work are getting drenched!

So people see the water being sprayed on the bridge and they are still walking over it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

They did manage a bit of a rainbow

[IMG][/img]29v09s1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

half way there with that rainbow :D only half the gold as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sir_brunno

The last photo saying half a rainbow was viewed from the wrong bank. I got closer and took these with a crappy camera... I'm sure it looks waaaay better on the big cameras they had!

DSC06715.JPG

And there's more!

DSC06718.JPG

DSC06958.JPG

DSC06957.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

dubtom wrote: »
    I've often seen them docked at the eastlink and wondered what their for,apart from spraying water nicely I assume their tugboats yes?

Yea they're the Dublin Port Tugs. The green/white one's in the photo are the new ones, Shackleton & Beaufort. The yellow & black one's you see tied up all the time at the east link are the old ones, Cluain Tarbh & Deilginis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Sorry for reanimating this thread.

But just came across this . And as it's the explanation and complete result I thought, I share it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

crap ad. youd swear those people never saw water before

Advertisement