Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasanger primary medical cert.

Options
  • 12-07-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Wondered if you could help me and apologies if my question seems daft in advance.

anyone that knows me by now will know i have a disabled child and quite often look for info which you help me with. Thank you for that. As part of availing for services for my child I was advised to apply for a primary medical cert which i did.

I received a letter this morning and I am not to sure what it means and what as a result I am entitled to. The letter reads as follows.

Following your hearing....... I enclose herewith a medical certificate which enables you(my child) to claim as a passanger under the above scheme.

particulars of applicants disability

a. The applicant is wholly or alsmost wholly without the use of both legs.

Can someone with experience please explain what i do next... What do i claim for etc.

This is something i should know but I have literally been on a rollarcoaster with my child so just following orders sometimes.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Hi Folks

Wondered if you could help me and apologies if my question seems daft in advance.

anyone that knows me by now will know i have a disabled child and quite often look for info which you help me with. Thank you for that. As part of availing for services for my child I was advised to apply for a primary medical cert which i did.

I received a letter this morning and I am not to sure what it means and what as a result I am entitled to. The letter reads as follows.

Following your hearing....... I enclose herewith a medical certificate which enables you(my child) to claim as a passanger under the above scheme.

particulars of applicants disability

a. The applicant is wholly or alsmost wholly without the use of both legs.

Can someone with experience please explain what i do next... What do i claim for etc.

This is something i should know but I have literally been on a rollarcoaster with my child so just following orders sometimes.

Thank you in advance.

Hi. I would take a look here for more information:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Basically it means you can buy a new car and not pay Vat or Vrt, there must be an adaption in the car that cost a certain amount depending on price of car, but because you have a disabled child, you will need something more suitable than the standard child car seat. I have a car seat that is extra deep and more supportive and swivels. (Ive a disabled child too). You must hold on to this car for at least two years.

You can claim back the vat on the petrol or diesel that you use to transport the disabled passenger

You are exempt from paying motor tax and toll fees

If you dont have a disabled parking permit, use the PMC to apply for that now

Contact Mobility Ireland or Parfit for more details on passenger conversions and what would be most suitable for your child. They are very helpful:)

Best of luck, my disabled child has taught me so much and introduced me to a world I would never have known had I not had a child with a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hermit07 wrote: »
    Basically it means you can buy a new car and not pay Vat or Vrt, there must be an adaption in the car that cost a certain amount depending on price of car, but because you have a disabled child, you will need something more suitable than the standard child car seat. I have a car seat that is extra deep and more supportive and swivels. (Ive a disabled child too). You must hold on to this car for at least two years.

You can claim back the vat on the petrol or diesel that you use to transport the disabled passenger

You are exempt from paying motor tax and toll fees

If you dont have a disabled parking permit, use the PMC to apply for that now

Contact Mobility Ireland or Parfit for more details on passenger conversions and what would be most suitable for your child. They are very helpful:)

Best of luck, my disabled child has taught me so much and introduced me to a world I would never have known had I not had a child with a disability.

Thank you.. To deal with it as you mention

I found out a little more since. It seems if i buy a car i am exempt from VRT and VAT. My understanding is i get the VRT off straight away and the VAT after I return the receipt.

The motor tax I am not too sure about but will find out how to go about it shortly

I already had the parking permit but yes I have been advised to get it upgraded. However I sent my PMC to cavan and they held it on file.:confused:

Mobility ireland... Thats perfect.

On my child yes I agree they are perfect. Thats not why we went with it. In his perfect way he has become difficult to handle. hence the need for the PMC.

Thank you for the info.

Any other infor from you greatly received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

:)Hya

You are exempt for the VRT but some garages will not charge you the vat and then when you get the cheque back from revenue, you then give it to the garage. Your best bet is to shop around and see what deals you can get and also talk to Mobility Ireland to see what type of car seat is the most suitable for your childs needs. I'm very happy with the seat I got but I might need something different in the future. Some big dealers also give a discount if you are a member of the Irish Wheelchair Association.

In two years time you only pay a transfer fee to change your seat from one car to another if you decide to change car again.

For the motor tax office I just sent in my exempt forms and they sent out the tax disc, its quicker to call into them but if you are like me, its hard to get out and about with a disabled child so Just sent them in the forms.

For toll bridge exemption, you contact your local toll bridge and ask for an application form for exemption. I'm still to do this:)
    The m50 toll free would have your car reg on file once you are accepted on the scheme you can use this. For the others you will get the permit when you return your exemption forms.

How do you mean upgrade your disabled permit? they are just standard. Its only when you are renewing they might ask for the PMC. I kept copies of mine.

You also get the vat back for petrol or diesel for transporting the disabled passenger. I got forms in the post for this from revenue recently but have not filled them out yet so cant comment on that yet.

I hope u found this info useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement