Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem between router and modem

Options
  • 12-07-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

I have a similar thread on this board but I thought maybe since I have a new problem that I should start a new thread.

Basically, recently got broadband installed, using a hitrontech modem from permanet and an old eircom netopia router. When the broadband was being installed the guy did something to my equipment to make the router and modem work together however, I've hit the reset button on my router and seem to have undone his work and now the broadband doesnt seem to be transmitted from my modem to my router.

I am able to use an ethernet to connect to the internet from my modem so I am pretty sure that the problem is just that the message doesnt seem to go to my router to let me use wireless.

If anybody has any idea how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

On the router, you might need to enter the security encryption
    password/passphrase to allow the router to connect to the modem

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Hi thanks for the reply! Is this a complicated process or do you think you could tell me how to do this?

When I connect my router and modem there is just no internet access available .

Hi,

Connect your router to your PC via an ethernet (RJ45) cable.

Power up the router.

On your PC, open Internet Explorer, in the address bar type in the IP address of the router and hit enter. You'll find the router's IP address in the router setup guide/manual.

A window should open and request your router user ID and password, both are usually set as default, user ID....admin default password.....admin.

Select the Wireless network setup and you should be prompted to setup a wireless network.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hi,

Connect your router to your PC via an ethernet (RJ45) cable.

Power up the router.

On your PC, open Internet Explorer, in the address bar type in the IP address of the router and hit enter. You'll find the router's IP address in the router setup guide/manual.

A window should open and request your router user ID and password, both are usually set as default, user ID....admin default password.....admin.

Select the Wireless network setup and you should be prompted to setup a wireless network.

Thanks so much for the info. Ive a big problem though, for some reason I cant get into my routers IP address. Ive been googling this problem all weekend and can't find a reason as to why it won't let me onto the page. seems that I really need to get onto the page but whenever I try I just get an error saying problem loading page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Thanks so much for the info. Ive a big problem though, for some reason I cant get into my routers IP address. Ive been googling this problem all weekend and can't find a reason as to why it won't let me onto the page. seems that I really need to get onto the page but whenever I try I just get an error saying problem loading page.

Go to start > Run > type "cmd" > opens up a Dos prompt > Type ipconfig > hit enter and check what your default gateway address is?

• Advertisement

Vanbis wrote: »
    Go to start > Run > type "cmd" > opens up a Dos prompt > Type ipconfig > hit enter and check what your default gateway address is?

It says that my default gateway is 192.168.216.2 (I am connected to modem with a cable at the moment)

Hi,

When you say that you "hit the reset button on the router"

What exactly did you do there?

I think to correctly reset the router to the factory default settings, you have to push a paperclip into the reset hole and hold the reset button for 10 seconds to make the router reset.

After a few seconds you'll see the lights on the router go out (then release the reset button) the lights should then start to come back on.

The router should then be reset to the factory default settings.

Hi,

When you say that you "hit the reset button on the router"

What exactly did you do there?

I think to correctly reset the router to the factory default settings, you have to push a paperclip into the reset hole and hold the reset button for 10 seconds to make the router reset.

After a few seconds you'll see the lights on the router go out (then release the reset button) the lights should then start to come back on.

The router should then be reset to the factory default settings.

Hi

sorry thats what I meant, held it down and restored it to factory settings. When I tried to get back onto my wireless network it said that it excellent signal, but no internet access.

It says that my default gateway is 192.168.216.2 (I am connected to modem with a cable at the moment)

Hi,

That gateway is the modem.

Disconnect the modem from the PC and connect Router to the PC via an ethernet cable,

then do as Vanbis asked.....

Hi,

That gateway is the modem.

Disconnect the modem from the PC and connect Router to the PC via an ethernet cable,

then do as Vanbis asked.....

oh sorry!
    now its 192.168.1.254

• Advertisement

By the way, when I am trying to connect to my router wirelessly it wont let me go to the IP address as it says there is no internet access. When I connect with just the cable to my modem it says there is a problem loading the page.
    But when I connect to the internet using a cable to the modem, and have my router still powered on (but not connected to modem) my computer is still "connecting" to my router and it then lets me onto 192.168.1.254, however when I try to log in it tells me that I cant because my DSL is not connected.

Im not sure how to overcome this as I want to use my router with my modem as I would prefer not to have to buy a new one, however, I don't even have a telephone line here so simply can't use DSL!

I know that there is a way around this as when the guy installed my internet it was working with my router for a few days, but he had made it unsecure and I wanted to secure it. That was when I reset my router in the process of trying to make it secure again!

UPDATE: ok so now I am connected to the internet with a cable from my modem, but my router is still powered on even though it is not connected to my modem. This way it is letting me onto my routers IP address.... it asks me to log in, but when i try it tells me that I can't because my DSL is not connected.
    However I just noticed that there are options on this page I can access without logging in. Along the side of the page the options are Home, Firewall, Wireless,Custom Services, Expert Mode, Troubleshoot and Help.

Im not sure if any of these are useful, but if so does anybody know what it is I need to do now?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly there is no need to be starting a second thread when you have one live already!

Secondly as was pointed out to you in the other thread the Netopia is not meant to be used in the way you are trying to do it and maybe a security risk even if you get it working (I am not sure about this point but I have seen it raised in threads before)

Your netopia is a combined dsl modem and router so it is constantly looking for a dsl signal even when connected to your other new modem.

When you want to change settings in your netopia you have to disconnect it from the new modem and access it directly.

You should be able to access the wireless settings in the netopia through the wireless settings on the left of the main window if I remember rightly.

Also there may be settings within the 'expert' heading which would allow you to turn off the dsl modem function or you could try and turn off the 'dhcp' function which might just turn the netopia into a wireless point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

dub45 wrote: »

Also there may be settings within the 'expert' heading which would allow you to turn off the dsl modem function or you could try and turn off the 'dhcp' function which might just turn the netopia into a wireless point.

I thought from reading her first thread she had it setup up in bridge mode with DHCP turned off but she reset the modem.

Just and idea but with so many threads on wireless setups, bridge mode etc why don't you get a sticky with screen shots of current modems etc with guides, it would save alot of hassle and theads, just and idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I thought from reading her first thread she had it setup up in bridge mode with DHCP turned off but she reset the modem.

Just and idea but with so many threads on wireless setups, bridge mode etc why don't you get a sticky with screen shots of current modems etc with guides, it would save alot of hassle and theads, just and idea.

Because life is too short and that's why manuals are written.

I thought that also, never realised there were two modems, just thought one modem and that it was connected to a wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The first thing to do is connect to your modem with an ethernet cable and go to its config page at 192.168.216.2. You need to look for the DHCP section and look for a start address and end address, how their set varies from modem to modem so it may just be two numbers between 1 and 255 or it may be complete IP addresses.

What DHCP does is assign addresses to computers so that your modem knows where to send packets. We will need to assign a static one to your netopia router so that the same address isn't handed out to another computer. Considering that your modems IP is 192.168.216.2, I'd imagine that 192.168.216.1 is outside the lease range and this is the IP that we will give to the netopia.

Next connect to the Netopia with your lan cable and log into its admin interface, there are two things that your need to accomplish while your in here. Your netopia will currently have an address of 192.168.1.254 so go to that address in your browser.

The first thing to change its IP address, go into expert mode and from there connection settings and you should see a field called "IP Gateway" (I think) with a setting of 192.168.1.254. Change this to 192.168.216.1, save your settings and restart your router. If this step went okay you should now be able to go to the 192.168.216.1 address and see the eircom configuration page.

Next step is to disable the DHCP server on your router. This is very very important as otherwise you will have two servers on your network handing out leases, one of which will point to the wrong gateway and also may conflict with the leases that the other is handing out. Go to the routers config page now at 192.168.216.1 and look for the DHCP Server section after your click on expert mode. And then disable the DHCP server. Apply your settings and plug a lan cable from your modem into one of the lan ports on your router. Now you should be able to get onto the internet and be able to see both config pages for the modem and router at 192.168.216.2 and 192.168.216.1 respectively.

Finally to answer your question from your orginal post, you can now go into the router settings, into expert mode and set your wireless settings however your like. Remember you should be using WPA at the minimum for your wireless security, the Eircom routers used to come by default with WEP which is easily hackable (especially Eircoms implementation of it) so you really need to change it.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement