Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS4 on 3GS

Options
  • 12-07-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Anyone else find performance flaky?

Upgraded from a 3G in the last few months and was relieved at the huge boost in speed and stability that the 3GS offered.

But OS4 has changed this. At the start of the day, when the phone is just turned on, it's quite zippy.

But as the day goes on performance takes a clobbering. First thing in the morning the camera app is ready in approx 3 seconds.

At the end of the day last night, it was well over 12 seconds before it was ready.

Is there a way to downgrade? :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

quad_red wrote: »

only if you previously jailbroke your device and saved it's blobs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Crap.

This was never jailbroken.

Does anyone else notice this performance drop on OS4?

Crap.

This was never jailbroken.

Does anyone else notice this performance drop on OS4?

The method shown in my link can be applied to non jailbroken iphones. And yes, I noticed the performance drop as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the performance drop on 3G is worse again. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

faceman wrote: »
    the performance drop on 3G is worse again. :(

I had jailbroken my 3G on iOS4, and found the performance appalling. I did a brand new retore on iOS4 as a new phone and its like a new phone. Zips along now, and battery life is way, way better. I do miss SBSettings etc, but I'll take the performance over the extras.

When I upgraded my 3G to iOS4, the performance was dreadful. Did a complete restore, didnt keep anything. The performance now is still just as bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

whiterebel wrote: »
    I had jailbroken my 3G on iOS4, and found the performance appalling. I did a brand new retore on iOS4 as a new phone and its like a new phone. Zips along now, and battery life is way, way better. I do miss SBSettings etc, but I'll take the performance over the extras.

My 3G isnt jailbroken tho.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

My 3G isnt jailbroken tho.

Did you restore from a backup? That seems to affect them badly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭grolschmore

Anyone else find performance flaky?

Upgraded from a 3G in the last few months and was relieved at the huge boost in speed and stability that the 3GS offered.

But OS4 has changed this. At the start of the day, when the phone is just turned on, it's quite zippy.

But as the day goes on performance takes a clobbering. First thing in the morning the camera app is ready in approx 3 seconds.

At the end of the day last night, it was well over 12 seconds before it was ready.

are you closing your apps? as in by double clicking the home button?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My 3GS performance has been fine. Battery life, on the other hand, has gone to the dogs. I like multitasking, but it would be nice if there was an option to switch it off or select which apps can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Same with my other halfs 3G. Upgraded to 4.0, went back to 3.1.3 not lobg after.

Don't know why they bothered releasing 4.0 on the 3G!

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did you restore from a backup? That seems to affect them badly too.

Yep. Had no choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Glad I saw this thread.

I upgraded my 3G 2 weeks ago and the performance is appalling since. It keeps freezing or at best slowing right down. Sometimes when I get a call, I go to slide the slider thingy across the bottom but it refuses to budge and so I miss the call.

I used to be very, very happy with my iPhone but its starting to get on my nerves now.

Is there anyway to revert to the previous OS without messing up the phone? Btw it has never been jailbroken, not that I know what that means :o.

CONSPIRACY THEORY - has Apple done this on purpose to make us upgrade to the new model?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

have just upgraded a 3GS - works fine - can't notice any slowness at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Same here. Use to have my 3G jailbroken but restored to move to 4.0 and hopefully get some speed back. Worked excellent when unjailbroken to 3.1.3 but as soon as I went to 4.0 it's slow. Not crazy slow but scrolling is a stoppy jump to it instead of a smooth roll.

Reckon i'll downgrade soon using Improbable's link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My 3GS performance has been fine. Battery life, on the other hand, has gone to the dogs. I like multitasking, but it would be nice if there was an option to switch it off or select which apps can use it.

same here, but i dont think its multitasking. afaik, they've changed the wifi on iOS4 so that it remains on when the phone is on standby, so i've taken to only use the wifi when i need it and switch it off after, which is a pain. before this i didnt need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

are you closing your apps? as in by double clicking the home button?

Er, didn't realise you could do that.

Just did it there and will see what effect it has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

same here, but i dont think its multitasking. afaik, they've changed the wifi on iOS4 so that it remains on when the phone is on standby, so i've taken to only use the wifi when i need it and switch it off after, which is a pain. before this i didnt need to worry about it.
    Ah, yeah, that's probably it alright. I was just thinking that last night. Hopefully the next update will give the option to sleep wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Yep. Had no choice!
    you did, you could of selected "new phone"....then re-sync your data etc..thats the mistake most are making, after the update, they are restoring their data from back up,
    something is wrong here and fooking up phones, you need to pick "new phone" then you can manually re-add all your stuff

still sucks for me and im gone back to my jb 3.1.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

No problems with battery for me!!

I have had the sluggish performance once or twice - killing all the apps sorted it for me.

There is an app in iTunes called iStat - if people are wondering what memory is being used by individual processes.

Er, didn't realise you could do that.

Just did it there and will see what effect it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Having the same problems on my 3G 8gb with 4.0. Exactly as above was running jailbroken 3.1.2 but unjailbroke to upgrade to 4.0
    Sometimes slider not working. Unresponive screen on safari at times.
    My photo album is totally messed up - thumbnails fine but can't view 80 of the pics.
    Battery life totally woeful.
    Shouldn't I have the time showing on my top menu bar ? My name is there from the jailbroken days still.
    Typing this right now I can't see text at all since I started this sentence until I reach next line.
    Upgraded because I am going to sell it on before buying a 4. If I sell it like it is now the person will think I sold them a faulty phone.

Oh and can anyone tell me when I want to buy an app or even download a free one from the iTunes store I have no download button showing on my iTunes since the upgrade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My apps have been acting the bollox since I got the upgrade on my 3GS. RTE bombs out on the homepage and Facebook crashes when trying to load the latest updates.

Didn't have any issues before. Anything I can do?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My apps have been acting the bollox since I got the upgrade on my 3GS. RTE bombs out on the homepage and Facebook crashes when trying to load the latest updates.

Didn't have any issues before. Anything I can do?

Both of thos ehave been updated for iOS4. Have you downloaded the latest? If you have the only thing I could suggest is to restore as a new phone and reinstall them.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have 3gs 16gb, currently running JB 3.13 and was contemplating upgrading to IOS4, but after reading through this thread, I think I will stay as I am "if its not broken dont fix it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

After reading this is there actually any benefit to OS4 on a 3G/3GS?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

My 8GB 3G constantly crashes. It takes up to a minute to open the ipod app and crashes most times as do other apps. Driving me nuts

Typing text messages it hangs all the time and you don't know what you're typing

I hope an update comes out very soon

Advertisement