Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No1 Army Band March Up Croagh Patrick!!

Options
  • 12-07-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Greetings all, yes the famous Army No1 Band are planing to march up Croagh Patrick on Tuesday July the 13th in aid of charity. You probably saw the band performing in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham for the National day of Rememberance live on television yesterday!! Recently the band played at the foot of Croagh Patrick for the dedication of the National Famine Memorial, and we were absolutley taken back by the beauty and serenity of the area. So much so that a certain Sgt Justin Masson ( formerly of Boyzone, well thats what he tells us ) in his wisdom, declared that we should all climb the famous mountain and we should pick a worthy charity to benefit from it. So we have chosen St Johns Ward at Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin.

If anyone would like to come along and donate some money to this worthy cause please do so. We will be in the carpark from eleven thirty with a view to start the climb at twelve midday. If you want to come and just cheer us on, please do, we would appreciate any help at all.

When we finish the climb, we will be heading back into Westport to the Helm Bar were we will finish this epic journey with some music and a lot of pints!! So if you can't make it to Croagh Patrick come and join us at the Helm Bar for a sing song and a bit of crack!!

See you there, Franney.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done for that.

How many are you getting to do it?

Might be worth a shout to Mayo Mountain Rescue to send some assistance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 somebane

Hi, there will be approx 21 lads and one lady, and also an army chaplin!! As I say, any support or advice would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

All the best on the 13th.

There is a photograph around of Westport Town Band playing at the summit on the occasion of the dedication of the church there in 1905. There is another photograph around of the Town Band playing at the bottom of the Reek in 1965. Average age of members had gone up so maybe they had to forgoe the climb.

The bandmaster in 1965 Peter McConville was a member of the band in 1905 also and appears in both photos. I think copies are on display at the newly refurbished Campbells pub at the bottom of the mountain

Thanks for that, we will need all the luck we can get as the weather is not to be the best.We paid a visit to Campbells pub on the day of the dedication ceremony, what a lovely place. Sure dont you know we will have to drop in when we get down off the mountain to check out the photos and em a pint or two. They were hardy men back then, I wouldn't fancy dragging instruments up there let alone myself. Once again, thank you for your kind words and here is to a good day.

Cheers franney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Good luck with the climb, altough tomorrow is'nt promissed the best weather wise, its pretty dangerous the last bit near the top, visibilty can be reduced to a couple of feet withen minutes, don't take any chances. The view from the top is spectaculer, make sure you bring a good camera with ya, Good luck and post back how ye get on:)

• Advertisement

Thank very much for the tips. The camera is ready for action so all going well, I will get back here and maybe throw a few pictures on the thread.
    Thank you once again,

Cheers Franney.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

I'll be up there myself, it'd be great to take some pictures of you all for my website. See you there.

Nice one osprey, look forward to seeing you there. Make yourself known so we can get a photo.

Once again thanks for your kind regards.

Cheers Franney.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

somebane wrote: »
    Nice one osprey, look forward to seeing you there. Make yourself known so we can get a photo.

Once again thanks for your kind regards.

Cheers Franney.

I never read this thread proplerly, I was down by 10:15. Went to pick up the kids just before 12:00 and saw the Army van parked opposite Campbells.

My fault, shame that because a few pics would've been good. Hope the climb went well, you picked the best part of the day anyway. Loads of people up there for a Tuesday!! Till next time. Matt (Murrisk).

Advertisement