Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to vaccinate puppy?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I've googled it but not gotten any straight answers, and the vaccination record I got from the breeder says "a puppy should get a full vaccination around 12-14 weeks" but I thought they needed two (not including parvo), a month apart. Or maybe it's one at 12 weeks and one at 16 weeks? If it is, then can I walk her after the first one?

Or maybe I'm thinking of kittens because I haven't had a puppy in years.

She's 9.5weeks old now so I was going to take her to be vaccinated this week, since her and the kittens need worming and one of the other dogs seems to have some kinda ear infection or something, so I thought I'd take them all together, but is it too early at 10 weeks? A lot of people seem to say different ages.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ring your vet and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

See if I ring the vet, she won't be there because she'll probably be out on farms, so I'm not sure if whoever answers the phone will be too reliable. I think I'll call in for the worming tablets and ask while I'm there to see if they know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What vaccinations has she already had?

She should have had parvo at 6 weeks, then the first of the 5-in-1 or 7-in-1 at 8 weeks, and then the last one at 10 weeks. My vet won't give the second one until 10 weeks at the earliest. Then you have to wait 2 weeks before taking them out - although again, different vets say different things, some say 1 week, some say 2.

She has only had the parvo. The vaccination record didn't say anything about 8 weeks (I got her at 7 weeks). I think I remember my dogs getting one at 8 weeks actually. But then some websites said wait til 10-12 weeks. There seems to be lots of opinions. A vet nurse told me that getting them vaccinated early is pointless because they still have their mother's immunity, I think she said wait til 10 weeks, but then the vaccination record says 12-14 weeks and doesn't make it clear that they need two. The breeder said she'll need to be vaccinated in a few weeks, but I didn't ask what age exactly, just thinking I'd remember it, but it's been so long since I've had a puppy.

Anyway, thanks. I think I'll just get her vaccinated now and then worm her in a few days.

I'll ask about when the kittens need vaccinations while I'm there, because they're a bit younger and I can vaccinate them myself, cos they've already seen a vet before I got them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

ISDW wrote: »
    What vaccinations has she already had?

She should have had parvo at 6 weeks, then the first of the 5-in-1 or 7-in-1 at 8 weeks, and then the last one at 10 weeks. My vet won't give the second one until 10 weeks at the earliest. Then you have to wait 2 weeks before taking them out - although again, different vets say different things, some say 1 week, some say 2.

My puppy had her jabs this way.

I got her her first of the 5/7-in-1 when I got her, she was 10 weeks, and the second 2 weeks later

• Advertisement

Thanks :) I had a feeling it might be 10 weeks and 12 weeks. I'll call the vets after lunch and see when she can go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My vet recommends one at 8 weeks and the other at 12 weeks, Parvo is included in the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dogs got their first at 61/2 weeks and 7 weeks, the second at 9 weeks for both of them(I got them both at 9 weeks), this is what my vet recommended, he also told me I could bring them out after 2 or 3 days, he said socialization was very important at that age.
    But this is in a small town where I would be bringing them around the houses where I live and maybe to the school and back(mostly carried) and he knew that.
    I know theres a lot of different opinions on the timing and the waiting period with vaccinations but I trust my vet, call yours and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Am a vet nurse, We recommend getting the full lot at 8 weeks and 12 weeks. Usually you wait about 7 days after getting the second vacc to make sure you're fully covered for lepto and parvo. Worm every month before 6 months, then every 3 months. and flea treatment (not flea collar) roughly every 6 weeks. Photos needed! Love pups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

What if a young pup (8wks) is travelling with other dogs (vaccinated)?

Any advice please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

It should be fine if they're vaccinated. As long at theyre all up to date. But things like parvo and lepto can be carried on animals and in different environments. Depends where the pup is travelling.

sophie1.jpg

I really have to take more photos cos she has grown so much! I'm taking her to get vaccinated today if the vet calls me back. And gotta take in my dog with a sore ear, and have a guinea pig with a possibly UTI, and the kittens to be wormed/vaccinated, why do they always need to go to the vet in groups! I'm only taking in the puppy and the dog though, just going to ask the vet about the others . . .

Advertisement