Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cathal Murray in for Collins

• 12-07-2010 11:38am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed Cathal Murray is sitting in for Ronan Collins for the next three weeks. I first noticed this guy doing links in the small hours about a year or so ago. Just introducing the news and the repeats from midnight. Nice voice and able to give a little dash of personality.
    Recently he was given a slot from 6a.m to 8 on a Sunday morning where he would play his own choice of music and a bit of comedy, a bit like Balfe but more up to the minute. Very enjoyable i thought.

Interested to see how he gets on here in this rather plum slot and what others think of him as he has been slowly coming through the ranks of Montrose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I first heard him filling in for Collins a few months back. He has a relaxed air about his delivery but needs to slow down at times. His music choices are good for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Yep he sounds very relaxing and good for music programmes, good to see other presenters coming through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If it gets rid of the sig tune it gets my vote..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Is he the bloke who stands in for Maxi ? If so I really like his voice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

washiskin wrote: »
    Is he the bloke who stands in for Maxi ? If so I really like his voice.

Yeah that's the guy.

@Jonathan, I didn't notice a sig tune today. Can't remember what he started with but it didn't sound like a sig you'd regularly start a show with.

Oh just thinking you might mean Ronan's usual. Since he's been starting at 11.30 he hasn't used it. (I like that tune at that time:o).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he is playing some good music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hopefully Collins will stay away.

Music by numbers doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

You might not like collins, but he is immensely popular, and his style of presenting seems to suit the demographic that listens which i would guess to be 40plus. Its a very handy gig mind you, taking the news, met eireann report, and the preamble from yer man from clontarf about the days liveline and adverts, collins must only complete about 40 mins in total, very handy money indeed.

You are totally correct in everything you say.

Collins hasn't changed his show, altered his presentation,patter, tone of voice for the last twenty years.

One can guess he will mention 'Dave & Sylvia from Raheny 40 years married and still holding hands' at around 1225.

I'm bolloxed if I want that kind of predictability, but maybe it appeals to some.

Not this honcho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Flutt I am curious as to how you rate Cathal's diction (when you've your Pr. Higgins hat on :)). Nothing underhanded here my good man just general curiousity. To me he's a little too clipped, saying that though I do think that's why I like his voice. Again it is the chinks that I like.

On Big Dog Collins; it really is horses for courses. I know exactly where you're coming from FB but that's exactly why I like'm. Steady, knowledgabe, same ol' paff of warm fartery about the show. Hell, I even miss the sig tune just after noon. It's a weakness in me but it's one I acknowledge and allow:o.

I like jam on a cheese sambo too at around that time. Not unconnected I hazzard to guess.

• Advertisement

I'll have a listen Humber and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Collins gone for 3 weeks?

A rest? A holiday? from what exactly.

You could play a repeat of his show from a few months/years ago and the listener would be none the wiser. Same sh1te, different day.

Another RTE 'lifer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

Cathal Murray seems ok plays some decent music for that time of day. He seems to lack a personality. He dosent seem to have any conviction. Maybe hes nerveous. Sounds like a decent bloke though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

First chance to hear him in this slot today and I must say I'm impressed.
    I mean The Buggles on Radio 1 ? And Bill Bragg before 8pm?

I know RC is there to keep the showband demographic happy but he said himself he can't see himself these in 10 years so maybe Cathal will get the gig looooong before then.

humberklog wrote: »
    Flutt I am curious as to how you rate Cathal's diction (when you've your Pr. Higgins hat on :)). Nothing underhanded here my good man just general curiousity. To me he's a little too clipped, saying that though I do think that's why I like his voice. Again it is the chinks that I like.

On Big Dog Collins; it really is horses for courses. I know exactly where you're coming from FB but that's exactly why I like'm. Steady, knowledgabe, same ol' paff of warm fartery about the show. Hell, I even miss the sig tune just after noon. It's a weakness in me but it's one I acknowledge and allow:o.

I like jam on a cheese sambo too at around that time. Not unconnected I hazzard to guess.

Listened a bit today and have to say could find no fault with him,doesn't say a lot mind you, mostly music.

Wouldn't be my kind of prog. to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

the guy has a really good eclectic taste in music , i think his style is more suited to very late night or early morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the guy has a really good eclectic taste in music , i think his style is more suited to very late night or early morning

Anything alternative push it to the late night or Digital Channels, why not something different. Have to agree with what most have said about RC. As for his popularity I wonder how well he would do if he wasn't between Murray and PK? I know Murray still has be tested over the next few months from taking over from RT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Played Steely Dans Peg, and XTC, Peter Pumkinhead today. The comfy jumper is back on Monday however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

This is an actual song from the 80s?????

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1980, did he play that? or are you just getting nostalgic? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mike65 wrote: »
    Played Steely Dans Peg, and XTC, Peter Pumkinhead today. The comfy jumper is back on Monday however.

Aja featured on Classic Albums last week (Incorrectly labelled as never mind the bollocks in the EPG), I've heard Peg several times since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

He played The National there this lunchtime.
    Had to double check and make sure I was on Radio 1.

Advertisement