Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst road accident in the history of the state claims 8 in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

i myself amfrom inishowen and i will have you no the cars are not all cheap. but they do like power but since the recession its all desiel not petrol. if you seen the condition of our roads you would understand why there are so many accidents and so wat if we reap the benifits of livin in a border county lik get over it you all just sound like you have got a axe t grinds with these poor boys. and i am backing ciar0468 on this older people are more of a danger on the road and usually dublin reg cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

sesna wrote: »
    Never been on an overcrowded bus.

I guarentee you anybody living in Dublin, using buses regularly at peak times over the last 10 years has been on more overcrowded buses than they can remember. Im talking about Dublin Bus buses now, not the Bus Eireann coaches
    eoin wrote: »
    No, it really isn't a very minor offence. At least half the occupants couldn't have been strapped in.

Im not arguing that what they did was right, but in the context of thing, not wearing a seatbelt is a minor offence. Sure Dublin Bus dont even have seat belts on their buses. Also, it common enough for people to travel in the back of van etc. It might not be right, but its still common enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ciar0468 wrote: »
    Sorry If what i said was not totally clear. I am trying to say on that point that there are many factors relating to road accidents, I am saying that late night ones are usually attributed to young drivers who have been drinking/clubbing. These attitudes however are learned from the older generation, when it was the 'norm' to drink and drive.

I am also saying that as far as offenders of road laws and safe driving (which has been pointed out here) and policing of these laws, a lot of this can be attributed to older drivers. I have never been in an accident, but have missed a few because of (they have all been older drivers over 30 maybe 40) who dont kow the simple rules of the road. A woman (grey haired so probably over 50) nearly drove into me yesterday at a junction where she was at a stop line, i had right of way, she didit know a stop line actually meant stop (its penalisable by a penalty point not to stop at one)and started souting at me for not stopping.

I am not saying that young or old are to blame, I am saying that everyone on the road who breaks a law is to blame, that the stipulation that its just young drivers is not true. The assumtions made here are that the drivers in the passat are to blame. Who is sure of that? this appears to be a three car colision, none of us know who is at fault. Road safety is also not just about lives lost, every minor or majour colission is a road safety problem.

Something I have noticed about letterkenny is that people are very courious on the roads here and let you out of junctions or into lanes. Its not the same in westmeath, Thank You Donegal drivers as its actually a pleasure to dive here.

I am a very considerative and carefull driver but the bad driving in this county really gets me worked up. A large percentage of drivers on our roads may never of taken a proper driving test, never mind a written one. Our entire licensing and policing system for driving needs a complete overhaul.

Pardon me for saying this but you are posting total bullshit.

Why do I say that, you inquire.

Because you come up with the crap about grey haired women and auld lads who 'never did the driving 'test.

lemme wise you up pal.

Insurance companies, who are not noted for their compassion and generosity, but who have to settle claims , don't load the grey haired woman or the 'auld lad ' ?

Why the fcuk is that, why don't they, you whinge.?

because they don't cause the accidents pal, thats why.

Who do they load?

18 to 25 males who think they know it all, and who knows what is going on?

The insurance companies

What ages were the unfortunates involved in that Donegal crash?

18-25.

Now go figure that out pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

This is a tragic event.

I have to say that in my early days driving I did exactly as this driver did. I was the only one who could afford a car and thus when taxis just wouldnt drive young men home and people would literally have to walk (at the height of the Dublin taxi monopoly), I was begged by my friends to let them in. I did. I had 6+me in a hatchback. I never drink-drove, but needless to say I was more than foolhardy taking so many.
    I never had an accident, but I was aware that if I did, the two not wearing seatbelts would be killed, and chances were that fatalities wouldnt be limited to them.
    People do stupid things and make mistakes when they are young.

Speculating I might say that 4 lads and a designated driver started the night responsibly. Peer pressure could have allowed 3 more into the car from where it tragically escalated.

He hit against another car it seems. A frightened, adrenaline pumped driver in a car full of similarly agitated and probably pissed lads was only going to go on to make another mistake. The next one, unfortunately, was fatal.

I might suggest that the country as a whole can learn lessons from this. Not through knee-jerk legislation that punishes everyone, but through sensible enforcement and determined education. Blame is always going to be appropriated, but I for one have to say that I pity the driver. Whatever punishment comes his way if he's found at fault it could never compare to the loss of 7 friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

kyote00 wrote: »
    With 8 people in the car, you'd have to assume that at best only 5 would have had seat belts on...

also with 8 people on board, the car must have been overloaded and would have been sluggish to stop and steer - especially difficult driving if it was wet, road condition was poor or speed was involved...

I agree with what your saying, but I think the focus should be on the other factors which contributed to the accident, and in preventing such a reoccurance.

Obviously we dont know the exact circumstances, however if reckless driving was the cause and only five had been in the car, its likley that there would still have been fatalities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

Because you come up with the crap about grey haired women and auld lads who 'never did the driving 'test.

lemme wise you up pal.

Insurance companies, who are not noted for their compassion and generosity, but who have to settle claims , don't load the grey haired woman or the 'auld lad ' ?

Who do they load?

The insurance companies

18-25.

Actually the age range is 19-23

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Im not arguing that what they did was right, but in the context of thing, not wearing a seatbelt is a minor offence. Sure Dublin Bus dont even have seat belts on their buses. Also, it common enough for people to travel in the back of van etc. It might not be right, but its still common enough

In the context of the thing, it at least doubled the fatalities in this crash. That doesn't take into account whether or not it caused the crash, or even what might have happened to the other passengers if everyone had been strapped in properly.

There's just no way I can call it minor.

@FlutterinBantam - tone it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

corky2004 wrote: »
    Condolences to the families concerned :(

There is a major culture change required by Donegal motorists.
    How can you explain having 8 adults in a car? Colliding with one car and driving on to collide with another? Everything about this stinks. You'd have to be naive to think it was just an 'accident'. No such thing as an 'accident'. Theres always a reason. Drink. Drugs. G0bsh1te behaviour.

It's not good enough to just put this down as 'one of those things'...

The fact that Jim McDaid was re-elected in the region, AFTER having being convicted of drunk driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway speaks volumes about Donegal peoples attitudes to driving practices......
    vectra wrote: »
    The only accident here was the poor old man being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As for the guys in the Passat...!!

Wel,
    Something like this was destined to happen from the off.

Firstly they had total disregard for
    1) themselves
    2) the law
    3) other road users

Secondly it was a great craic that went horribly wrong.

Finally,
    Supposing they never hit that corolla.?
    They would have had a mighty laugh in the pub the next time on the poor person who's Renault they wrecked and didn't give a hoot about.

Next weekend they probably would do the same thing again but possibly have a bigger accident and meet a car with 4 or 5 INNOCENT people on board that they would kill.
    At least now the people of Donegal can rest in the knowledge that this has a very good chance of never again happening.

I only hope the driver of the Passat survives and lives with this for the rest of his life .. BEHIND BARS...!! :mad:

The Garda Press Conference suggested this accident may all have been one related event i.e. the second crash happened a couple of hundred metres after the first, suggesting the car may have been out of control from the first collision. There was no suggestion it was a hit and run.

What happened was bad enough without unfounded speculation like that. li

And what is the ****e you refer to?

Statistics prove that Donegal has the worst record for multiple fatilities.?

Could I respectfully suggest that you apply your effort to redressing that appalling record rather than going into denial about what is painfully obvious.

I'd be interested in those stats. Obviously there is this one and another one that occurred a couple of years ago, 5 died. Can think of another case or two but I don't know if Donegal is that out of synch in that regard.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jaffa20 wrote: »
    This thread is about this specific accident, a trajedy and not the statistics (which i must have overlooked in your posts) showing donegal has the most road fatalities.
    Actually AFAIR the stats were posted and they show that Donegal has a disproportionate amount of fatal accidents compared to other rural areas and the country as a whole.

The ****e he's referring to are the assumptions being made and discussion of statistics are not going to do much good right now when 8 people are lying dead.
    No but unless steps are taken then it's going to happen again. Sadly RIP doesnt cut it as far as the future goes.

When I hear of these things on the radio, unlike some I dont think "Donegal" or any other county, but I do automatically think "rural". 2 o'clock in the morning, small car, young male driver, more than one killed all too sadly seems to be the general run of things. The cars are rarely the "souped up boyracermobiles" either. So the usual kneejerk reaction to them is pretty pointless, though no doubt in the following days.... Statistically they would be better off banning 10 year old peugeots with 1.1 engines than fully kitted out skylines.

Having driven for over 20 years all over the country I have noticed an upswing in the death toll for rural areas. Ive also noticed an upswing in the silly driving late at night. Personally I would not be too happy driving home between 12 and 4 on most rural roads in this country. There is a tendency to drive like a fcukwit out there. There's the same tendency in Cork city or Dublin city etc, but the roads are better, are better lit and there is more of a chance of bumping into cops.

There are like Ciar0468 correctly pointed out more facilities in urban areas and way more ways of getting home after a night out. Hell in most cities you can simply stagger walk home. That's not an option out in the rural areas. So even with a guy who isnt drinking but acting as a taxi for his mates the chances of him being overloaded are high. On a few nights over the years I've been on minibus taxis in the country after a night of skulling ales. In every single case they were overloaded. In one case one of the locals was getting a bit bolshie and the driver must have called the local cops. They pulled us over and didnt even comment about the fact that they damn near needed vaseline and tyre levers to extricate the guy from the back. There were people on top of people. I had a tit in my face for most of the trip. Great as a result of a normal night out, not so good in a taxi. I also saw on a few occasions people piling into ordinary cars. women in the back and front sitting on laps. I've seen this close to dublin in places like kildare and meath too. Now this was around 10 years back so maybe its changed, but even at the time people, local people were reckoning it was only a matter of time before a serious accident would happen.

The other aspect of this people have not mentioned are the weights involved. If there were 8 people in the car, that's a huge amount of wieght. Now they cant have been fat to fit the 8 in, so at a guess we're talking say at a conservative guess 70 Kgs per person. Multiplied by 8. That's 560 kgs. That's just about half the entire weight of my own car. That's over half a metric tonne.

That weight is going to seriously compromise handling and braking. It would have struggled to get up to any speed I would reckon, but once there the driver may have been blissfully unaware by how much and how dangerously the dynamics of his car had changed, especially being a young driver. Add in that he himself would have been crowded in his movements by the bodies in the car and with no drink involved, not even particularly high speed you can see how the accident would have happened.

Its very possible he wasnt speeding at all as far as the road limit was concerned. he might have been doing 60 kph. But with half a metric tonne(at least) extra weight on board any loss of control would be massively accentuated. He could have come around the bend and the car understeered with all the weight more in the middle and back, hitting the woman, with enough kenetic energy to remove her wheel, this would ricochet him back into the road to hit the man traveling behind her. He may have not seen the woman until he was on top of her and could have been on the brakes when he hit the man but the brakes would have been as much use as a chocolate teapot at that stage. A half tonne at even 50kph needs a helluva lot of braking energy and room to stop.

So I agree that conjecture about drink involved or speeding is premature. The chaps biggest mistake is that he had that many people in his car. The thing is IME in many rural areas similar happens every weekend. He may even have been a drunk passenger himslef in his mates "taxi" the previous weekend and it was his turn last night. Until that part of the rural nightife culture is tackled, similar may very well happen again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

lemme wise you up pal.

Who do they load?

The insurance companies

18-25.

You can't generalise how good or bad anyone is at anything by their age. Except if you want to be smart and say something like older people are better at being old.

I don't have the figures myself, but i would be confident enough in saying the reason 18-25 year old males as you put it have the highest premiums maybe more to do with them being the biggest market on the road rather than being the stupidest.

It would also appear to be that they are involved in more accidents than other age and gender groups because there are more of them too.

Last night was an accident for one person, him and his family and the family of the dead young lads are the only ones i feel sorry for. As for the driver, i hope he survives, and i hope he is confined to a wheelchair aswell as a prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

Its not yet 2 months since this horror crash http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-investigate-reports-of-cars-racing-before-fatal-crash-2194157.html
    in North Donegal and now we have another mass fatality. I really think enough is enough now. Its all very well saying that we must not upset the relatives in their time of grief but unless the idiots are put off the roads we will be reading the exact same headlines in another few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

K-9 wrote: »
    The Garda Press Conference suggested this accident may all have been one related event i.e. the second crash happened a couple of hundred metres after the first, suggesting the car may have been out of control from the first collision. There was no suggestion it was a hit and run.

What happened was bad enough without unfounded speculation like that. li

A couple of hundred meters.. Hmm.. at 100kph how long does it take to atop??
    And dont say they were trying to stop.. AFTER the couple of hundred meters they managed to be still going fast enough to hit another car while killing its sole occupant and killing 7 of their occupants... Speed not involved?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You can't generalise how good or bad anyone is at anything by their age. Except if you want to be smart and say something like older people are better at being old.

I don't have the figures myself, but i would be confident enough in saying the reason 18-25 year old males as you put it have the highest premiums maybe more to do with them being the biggest market on the road rather than being the stupidest.

It would also appear to be that they are involved in more accidents than other age and gender groups because there are more of them too.

Last night was an accident for one person, him and his family and the family of the dead young lads are the only ones i feel sorry for. As for the driver, i hope he survives, and i hope he is confined to a wheelchair aswell as a prison.

I'm not generalising.

Now if you want to believe that young males have their premiums loaded because there are more of them, well hey, go ahead and think that.

Some day you will sit down and think about that, and realise that it not only the young males who are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

car was on NI plates according to GTC
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eight-die-in-worst-crash-on-record-465228.html
    Traffic corps officers believe the black Northern-registered Passat carrying eight men collided with the front wing and wheel of the Donegal-registered white Megane before the driver lost control and smashed into the red Corolla, which was also Donegal registered.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eight-die-in-worst-crash-on-record-465228.html#ixzz0tV6OyeQV

Alcohol was not a factor either, in case there is unfounded speculation on that:

Eight die in 'worst crash on record' | BreakingNews.ie

vectra wrote:
    A couple of hundred meters.. Hmm.. at 100kph how long does it take to atop??
    And dont say they were trying to stop.. AFTER the couple of hundred meters they managed to be still going fast enough to hit another car while killing its sole occupant and killing 7 of their occupants... Speed not involved?? rolleyes.gif

It could well have been, never suggested otherwise. That and 8 in the car would it very hard to control. The Guards aren't suggesting it was, nor alcohol. They were at the scene and I'm sure have undertaken a thorough investigation.

Suppose it is natural speculation will happen. Same sh**e happened the 5 killed in 07/08 as well. Turned out it was a middle aged drunk driver hit them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

[*]True that people drive too fast in unsafe stretches of road, but people of all ages do it, Driving too slow is also just as dangerous btw. I have come around bends at normal (usually way under speed limit as i dont like bends) speeds to find I am on top of a car doing 20mph and have to slam on the breaks. There should be min as well as max speed limits.

What do you do if there are animal(s) round the bend or pedestrian(s)? Or do you not have those in rural areas?
    Its not all down to young people. I am a young driver, but a female one. I have friends who are the boy racer type my friends would not dream of drinking and driving, I have never done it and never will, not even one drink. Its the older people I know who do this. (infact every person I know over 30 or so does this. some have even lost their licenses, got them back after two years and done it again.)
    I have had close encounters on roads, not caused by speed or drink or carelessness, but by the older driver, who has no respect for new road laws:
    indicating( not doing so, too early or late or the wrong way)
    seatbelts (not wearing them)
    lights in dusk/dawn not on
    not dimming headlights
    how to drive a roundabout (especially a mulitlane one).
    PARKING( I had an old man drive into me in the car park, I was parked and out of my car buying a parking ticket, he still was saying that I drove into him when the garda arrived, only I had witnesses I would of been blamed. we cant pass judgement when we dont know what happened)

All of the above are traits of bad inconsiderate drivers most of them are unlikely to kill people. A poor deflection from the real issues.

fluffer wrote: »
    This is a tragic event.

I have to say that in my early days driving I did exactly as this driver did. I was the only one who could afford a car and thus when taxis just wouldnt drive young men home and people would literally have to walk (at the height of the Dublin taxi monopoly), I was begged by my friends to let them in. I did. I had 6+me in a hatchback. I never drink-drove, but needless to say I was more than foolhardy taking so many.
    I never had an accident, but I was aware that if I did, the two not wearing seatbelts would be killed, and chances were that fatalities wouldnt be limited to them.
    People do stupid things and make mistakes when they are young.

Speculating I might say that 4 lads and a designated driver started the night responsibly. Peer pressure could have allowed 3 more into the car from where it tragically escalated.

He hit against another car it seems. A frightened, adrenaline pumped driver in a car full of similarly agitated and probably pissed lads was only going to go on to make another mistake. The next one, unfortunately, was fatal.

I might suggest that the country as a whole can learn lessons from this. Not through knee-jerk legislation that punishes everyone, but through sensible enforcement and determined education. Blame is always going to be appropriated, but I for one have to say that I pity the driver. Whatever punishment comes his way if he's found at fault it could never compare to the loss of 7 friends.

The irony is, it says in the linked article some of the lads left their cars behind them. Maybe drink taken? So, they got in the car with a sober driver.

Yes, they should have got a taxi, but the article suggests they were avoiding drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

The irony is, it says in the linked article some of the lads left their cars behind them. Maybe drink taken? So, they got in the car with a sober driver.

Yes, they should have got a taxi, but the article suggests they were avoiding drink driving.

I've done that myself, still do. Many drive to town, one drives out. Collect cars in the afternoon after a good lunch.
    Sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A horrific accident.
    I have room for four in the back but never take more than 3 as their are only 3 belts.

This dude had SEVEN passengers?! I can't even imagine the directions the passengers flew when the accident happened, and the horrific injuries they sustained. If that driver knew what laid ahead of him now, i'm sure he'd wish not to recover. What a waste.

RIP to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'm not generalising.

Now if you want to believe that young males have their premiums loaded because there are more of them, well hey, go ahead and think that.

Some day you will sit down and think about that, and realise that it not only the young males who are stupid.

Oh i've already realised who else is, don't worry about that,

Have a think about it a bit more yourself.

• Advertisement

Oh, sorry for the extra posts but it definitely wasn't a hit and run and though road conditions were ok, that road has 10 collision prone zones:
    Traffic corps officers believe the black Northern-registered Passat carrying eight men collided with the front wing and wheel of the Donegal-registered white Megane before the driver lost control and smashed into the red Corolla, which was also Donegal registered.

The senior Garda added: “It is a short stretch, a straight stretch which comes between two bends. It would appear at this time that the two incidents were part of the same action.”

The accident happened on the R238 – ten stretches of which are classed as collision prone zones on official Garda files.

However, Assistant Commissioner Kenny said the scene of the crash, between two bends, had a good surface and was dry at the time. Anyone who was on the road between 10pm and 11pm was asked to contact local gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I have to admit that I was more than once in a situation where there were more than 5 people in a five seater car. I will also admit to driving at speed while over the limit in the past. I don't do things like this anymore, but I did in the past - so when I heard about this I thought 'that could have been me' ten years back. Thankfully it wasn't.

There was a thread on here a couple months back giving out about the 'he drives, she dies' ad campaign and I agreed that it was very biased to the young male but the first time I actually heard this ad was on Saturday just gone and if you've ever heard it the narrators are quite obviously northern girls!

Uncanny considering the circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So rather than breaking one law they broke another and killed what amounted to an innocent bystander.

The driver won't even get done for murder, it'll be involuntary manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

So rather than breaking one law they broke another and killed what amounted to an innocent bystander.

The driver won't even get done for murder, it'll be involuntary manslaughter.

You think he intentionally went out of the way to kill his 7 friends and the oncoming driver, who may in this case have lost control and hit the young male driver and his friends. While i don't condone carrying 7 passengers in a 5 seater, i think murder is bit ott.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

jaffa20 wrote: »
    You think he intentionally went out of the way to kill his 7 friends and the oncoming driver

He may as well have. He drove the car with at least three people more than there were seatbelts.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually AFAIR the stats were posted and they show that Donegal has a disproportionate amount of fatal accidents compared to other rural areas and the country as a whole.

Think stats may have been posted for 06, Cavan and Sligo higher and just ahead of Kerry from memory.

If we have higher numbers it is probably for the reasons you suggest, especially Inishowen. Isolated area with no public transport at night and if my village is anything to go by, very hard to get a taxi, so more likely to be more in the car eg. the 5 who died in one car. 5 Eastern Europeans were also killed in 07/08 in a 2 car collision, so naturally, these figures and todays will skew the stats.

I think some are assuming because the numbers are high, that automatically means worse drivers.

Ironically, from the Inishowen News website which has the crash as the top story:
    Inishowen News in Brief

Donegal and Limerick had the most death as at the 14th of June with 8, Wexford 7. Considering the populations, Wexford would be near the same, with Limerick less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could have been a simple case of overloaded vehicle.

Driving on a familiar road at a familiar speed that you know to be safe (be that under / at / or over the limit) except ...this time round you're not driving alone or with one passenger but with seven.

Seven passengers at an average 70 kg that's an unfamiliar additional load of around 500 kg that transforms your red-eye racer into a bit of a boat without a rudder.

This could have been an accident, bit early to talk of murder here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

robbie_998 wrote: »
    how the feck can ya fit 8 grown lads into a 5 seater car ?

sounds like a joy ride was going about.

This is why insurance cost a fecking bomb... cos of idiots like these running a muck :mad:

poor guy in the corolla.
    +1 to this post imo.

Ridiculous how a driver can allow 7 passengers into a car.

My sympathies to the driver of the corolla. An innocent victim of ridiculous male driver joyriding. Its guys like this that give sensible young male drivers a bad name (and high insurance premiums)

Well obviously. It's a bad enough story as it is, without claims of the driver being drunk or a hit and run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I have a few things to say here...

8 families are tonight grieving after a tragedy of unimaginable proportions. A ninth family will feel distraught, inconsolable that their son, brother, grandson has had a part to play in these deaths be it the young lads fault or not.

Nobody knows for sure what happened except the crash scene investigators., and they are probably not sure yet either.

I came across this accident going to work about 5 minutes after it happened and only one garda had arrived http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2007/10/09/story44812.asp It is easily the most harrowing thing I have ever seen.
    There is no way pictures of the cars should be shown at this early stage, maybe later but not now. Some of the families members may have yet to see a corpse.

One thing that did spring to mind was if the woman in the Megane broke her wrist one of the 8 in the other car was more than likely injured. The driver panics and heads for the hospital as fast as he can. 400 yards later and he ploughs into the next car which could have been in the middle of the road with only one headlight. Pure speculation of course but might as well speculate because every one else is too.

RIP

Paul Doherty, Ardagh, Ballyliffin 19

James Mc Eleney, Minaduff, Clonmany 23

Eamon Mc Daid, Cruckahheny, Ballymagan, Buncrana 22

Damien Mc Laughlin, Umrican, Buncrana 21

Mark Mc Laughlin, Ballynahone, Fahan 21

PJ Mc Laughlin, Rockstown, Tooban, Burnfoot 21

Kieran Sweeney, Ballyliffin, 19

Hugh Friel, Dunaff, Clonmany, 66

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement