Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Just to add my 0.02c BoI documents sent last friday (16th) and refund was completed by the following friday. Pain in the ar$e but at least we've rebooked and we've gotten our original money back.

W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭collegegal

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Just to add my 0.02c BoI documents sent last friday (16th) and refund was completed by the following friday. Pain in the ar$e but at least we've rebooked and we've gotten our original money back.

W

did you pay by GTA? how did you get a cancellation letter if you did? They wont say anything to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MBIreland

Just returned from holiday, three of our hotels were affected by the collapse of 1800hotels. We had to pay the hotels directly, so now are looking at ways to claim money back.

I paid by laser unfortunately, so I guess there is no point going back to the bank? (Had booked with 1800hotels many times before, so never thought for a second that there would be a problem, have learnt now sadly)

I do have travel insurance with multitrip.ie and wondering if they are paying out on this situation? I will contact them this afternoon to see what there is I can do.

I spoke to the consumer agency whilst abroad and they recommended me to take 1800hotels to the small claims court as they are still trying to trade their way through this situation.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed will be very welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

wcarey1975 wrote: »

W
    Another thumbs-up for B of I. Money back in account couple of days after they received documents... Not often you can salute the banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

xraylady wrote: »
    Another thumbs-up for B of I. Money back in account couple of days after they received documents... Not often you can salute the banks!

hi, what documents did you send them. Where did you get the cancelation letter from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

I sent them off e-mail that I got from youtravel stating 1800 had not paid them and as a consequence they wd be cancelling.

"As you are aware 1800hotels has ceased trading as of the 13/07/2010. Unfortunately we did not received payment from 1800hotels for your booking. In order for our company to reinstate and confirm the accommodation booking provisionally made on your behalf and send you a new voucher we were required to take payment to the amount of €768.75 this booking was cancelled on request on the 14/07/2010"

Also sent original voucher from 1800 giving amount paid and a covering letter with relevent details. Only later received mail from hotel stating that it was "officially" cancelled, so I didnt include that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sharon kelly

Just wondering did anyone try getting a refund with Permanent TSB laser. I rang them last week and they said they wouldn't give me a refund:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elaine08

Just wondering did anyone try getting a refund with Permanent TSB laser. I rang them last week and they said they wouldn't give me a refund:mad:

I booked with PTSB Visa and i rang them last week and just had to send information into them. I posted it on wednesday so waiting for my refund now

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davidcorry

Same story here.

Spent 1450 on hotel in Nice and now the hotel are saying they have no booking for us. Gutted and angry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dougiehowlett

Anyone hear anything from GTA? I have emailed them, the hotel and have also now emailed Watchdog on BBC. I don't believe the 3rd party suppliers are blameless in this.

Feel I am in limbo waiting for this thing to be cancelled and I can then do a chargeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Anyone hear anything from GTA? I have emailed them, the hotel and have also now emailed Watchdog on BBC. I don't believe the 3rd party suppliers are blameless in this.

Feel I am in limbo waiting for this thing to be cancelled and I can then do a chargeback.

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I didn't find them very pleasant to deal with but will be back onto them tomorrow. The last I heard from them was taht they weren't doing anything more until after today so I'll see if they have any update tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dougiehowlett

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation as you. I didn't find them very pleasant to deal with but will be back onto them tomorrow. The last I heard from them was taht they weren't doing anything more until after today so I'll see if they have any update tomorrow.

Hotel rang me to say it is not yet cancelled.

Hotel rang me to say it is not yet cancelled.

Yeah Disney emailed me back to say that the contract is officially with an intermediary (GTA) even though it's in my name and that I'll have to deal with them directly.

I hope they get their arses in gear and start cancelling them all so I can re-book soon! That hotels.com discount expires on Friday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublindigi

Sent in the 1800 booking and hotel cancellation paperwork last Wednesday, and got refund credited yesterday, well done Bank of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Firefly79

GTA aren't being very helpful at all. Got an email from them this morning saying they can only say what the US courts allow them to say, which, according to them, isn't a whole hell of a lot.

Text of email from GTA:
    On behalf of GTA, I want to apologise as we cannot assist you with your query regarding your booking
    · We obviously understand that this is a difficult situation for you
    · We are unable to help as we are a wholesale tour operator - we reserve hotel rooms on behalf of our clients such as 1800hotels.com and 1800Hotels.ie, and therefore your booking is with them, not us. Our clients are not the end passengers.
    · We can only pass onto you the following information:
    o The companies operating the 1800Hotels websites have filed a petition for Bankruptcy in the US Courts
    o We can only pass on information to you that we are allowed to from the rulings in the US Courts.
    o We have the agreement from the US Courts which states that we may cancel bookings 48 hours in advance of travel where 1800Hotels.com and 1800Hotels.ie have not paid GTA
    o If your booking is cancelled, unfortunately you will need to make a new booking and pay for it again
    · I understand that this is not an ideal solution for you and all we can recommend is that you contact 1800Hotels.com or 1800Hotels.ie, your credit card company or your travel insurer for more advice
    · Please understand we are only acting on instruction of the US Court and therefore I cannot comment any further.
    Just as well I've contacted the hotel directly as well...

I reckon anyone with a booking payable by GTA will eventually have their booking cancelled, but that 48 hours before business is just holding a knife over peoples' heads. Fair enough, it isn't their fault this happened, but they could be a bit more open to helping people out.

Whoever said the third parties weren't entirely blameless were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rayobri

When we got to our hotel on Friday we were told that our booking had been cancelled by GTA on Tuesday last. GTA or the hotel did not email us even though they had the details.

We had contacted the hotel the week before and they provided an email saying they had been paid. However, they actually hadn't.

If you have received confirmation from the hotel I would continue to call in days leading upto your travel date.

We were lucky however and hotel reception got us a hotel 50 yards away for around same price.

I am with Halifax and rang today and they gave all the info needed for chargeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 moff75

Ive been in contact with Mark Travel for the last few days and they have been utterly useless. They wont cancel my booking till 48hrs before arrival, which means i cant claim my money back till Nov. Booked a 4* hotel through Hotels.com and got it 600euros cheaper than my original hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

sent off the info the BOI yesterday so appears should be no problem. I am glad they are dealing with this well. Its good to see them being so efficient and its good to know they are looking after it without hassle it appears.

A question for everyone getting refunds: Who was the agents on your bookings? GTA seem to be the worst at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Just got a full refund from AIB Visa - took about a week altogether.

Fair play to them - it was no hassle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Firefly79

nk1985, I agree, GTA were no help at all. Luckily I got an email from the hotel to say they had no record of my booking, so will be able to get a refund. It's a great relief to know that Bank of Ireland are being so accommodating about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1800victim

Been talking to Mark Travel too, you can send them an email with your name, reference number etc and they'll cancel the booking for you now if you want? Are they cancelling rooms 48 hours before you arrive if 1800 havent paid by then? I thought they couldnt do that? I know GTA won the right to cancel contracts but I didnt realise that Mark Travel did as well!!!

I wish I was one of the people whose hotel didn't have a record of the reservation. Unfortunately Disney have the details but I can't ammend or cancel anything, GTA have to do that. GTA are unable to do anything on my behalf, only 1800 can do that. But 1800 obviously can't be contacted because they're out of business. It seems to me that this is a viscious circle. I'm not sure how all this will change when 1800 are officially bankrupt. Maybe all bookings will then be cancelled or something but, as it stands, GTA are apparently only legally able to cancel 48 hours in advance when they haven't received payment. So I don't know what the fcuk to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does holiday insurance cover a loss from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

hi does anyone have the address that you send the stuff to bank of ireland

m.j.w wrote: »
    hi does anyone have the address that you send the stuff to bank of ireland

Hi,

It's:
    BOI Card Services,
    Transactions Disputes Department,
    3rd floor,
    Operations Centre,
    Cabinteely,
    Dublin 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cwl

I feel your pain as I also paid by Laser - can't believe it!!! Had booked before with no problem. Did you find out anything further?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭eerwegtweg

cwl wrote: »
    I feel your pain as I also paid by Laser - can't believe it!!! Had booked before with no problem. Did you find out anything further?

I paid by Laser too so lost the whole lot. My booking was for tomorrow and GTA confirmed on the phone earlier on today that it was cancelled 48 hours in advance. However the hotel still had my name down up until last night. Strange.

So I booked something else in a more suitable location but ended up paying a lot more that the original booking was for. Feel like I've been stung twice!

Has anyone received cancellation emails from 1800hotels themselves? I have heard nothing form them directly.

eerwegtweg wrote: »
    I paid by Laser too so lost the whole lot. My booking was for tomorrow and GTA confirmed on the phone earlier on today that it was cancelled 48 hours in advance. However the hotel still had my name down up until last night. Strange.

So I booked something else in a more suitable location but ended up paying a lot more that the original booking was for. Feel like I've been stung twice!

Has anyone received cancellation emails from 1800hotels themselves? I have heard nothing form them directly.

No I don't think theyr'e doing anything as they have no staff etc. The only place 1800 are doing anything at all seems to be the courts in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beneavin1

Glad to hear that you have been refunded. Does anyone know how MBNA are responding? I have been told that I cant request a refund until after I have gone on my holiday in August, even though the hotel I am going to have already confirmed that my booking has been cancelled. I had to rebook with the hotel directly and ended up paying more. It would really help if I got my refund before I go on holiday

Advertisement