Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭collegegal

who do i get a cancellation letter from?? Im payable through GTA, now my booking hasnt actually been cancelled yet, but thats not to say it wont, its booked for next week. It can still be cancelled 48hrs before....so who do I get the cancellation letter from??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

collegegal wrote: »
    who do i get a cancellation letter from?? Im payable through GTA, now my booking hasnt actually been cancelled yet, but thats not to say it wont, its booked for next week. It can still be cancelled 48hrs before....so who do I get the cancellation letter from??

Hi,

You will have to get a cancellatiogn letter from GTA but it's looking very likely that they'll cancel it between 48 hours before you arrive and when you arrive. Your best bet is to give them a call and explain your situation but I have a feeling they won't be particularly helpful. Have you booked somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snapple87

I booked two weeks holiday with 1800hotels. The payment was through you travel. I have sent a million emails to the hotel/you travel and AIB and have finally got my money back. The hotel agreed to honour my original booking. I had to send about 8 emails and make 3 calls and threaten to put the fact that they where taking advantage of my situation on boards,tripadvisor etc. You travel wouldn't supply me with a letter saying the money would not be paid so I contacted consumer affairs for europe. You travel wanted the original payment again plus 100 euro plus 2.5% booking charge for booking on a credit card. As you can imagine I was definitely not giving them any more money regardless. AIB said there was a 40 day turn around for crediting the money back to me. I was furious. I submitted the forms and asked for their refund/charge back policy to be posted to my house and I lodged an official complaint with AIB. I heard nothing a week later so I rang AIB again and contacted the financial ombudsman. Two days later I recieved a letter from AIB saying they here looking into the matter and within another 24hrs I had all of the money credited back to my credit card. It was a very annoying and time consuming process. At the moment I have all of the money I paid and I don't have to pay for my hotel until departure. Initially the hotel wanted another 1000 as the rates had gone up but my persistance wore them down and I am a happy camper. If anyone needs advice on any of the steps that completed to get my money back please feel free to contact me. I am one of the lucky few who it all worked out for. The only thing I can say is stick with it because there was time where I just was like its done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snapple87

PS. My booking was still active but it was just not paid. So I took it that it was over and it was not going to be paid. You travel told me they where not going to pay it. So don't just hope for the best if your reservation is not paid for yet then take action and start the refund and rebook process. I'm not due to travel until mid August. I have not had any contact with 1800hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 moff75

I see that 1800hotels.com is back up and running wtf does that mean???

• Advertisement

1800victim wrote: »
    Been talking to Mark Travel too, you can send them an email with your name, reference number etc and they'll cancel the booking for you now if you want? Are they cancelling rooms 48 hours before you arrive if 1800 havent paid by then? I thought they couldnt do that? I know GTA won the right to cancel contracts but I didnt realise that Mark Travel did as well!!!

1800victim, id be careful about cancelling it yourself cos ur insurance company might not pay if the person making the claim cancels instead of the 3rd party ie Mark Travel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I got refunded from BOI credit cards today. I posted the stuff monday afternoon so very efficient they are. i am happy with their work on this.

I sent them an email from hotel confirming no booking for me, email confirming booking from 1800 and email sent to 1800hotels which no response was got for.

Good work and restored some faith in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

As to the query "Does holiday insurance cover a loss from this?

If it's not otherwise recoverable, I think it's always worth checking with your insurance company. Policies do vary quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dougiehowlett

The GTA situation is very frustrating but the reality is that 1800hotels are trying to trade their way out of this so they were the one seeking the injunction stopping GTA cancelling. I am sure that GTA would just love to cancel all of them. Though the way they have treated customers of 1800 is a disgrace.

My hotel, who are Irish owned in Boston, have already told me they won't match the wholesale price and offered me a rate 2.5 times as expensive. I may contact the Dublin office. Unfortunately I could get a really good direct rate with the Radisson which is equally as well rated on Tripadvisor, but can't afford to risk another in advance payment.

Thankfully my booking is December and I should be in a better position by then - at least some certainty that I can get the chargeback on monies paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Hi

Does anyone have an email address for GTA, i need to contact them so i can get a letter proving my cancellation, i arrived at the hotel last weekend and my reservation was cancelled, had to pay hotel directly again myself, MBNA said they need proof of cancellation before a chargeback can begin.

Appreciate some help, im lost here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1800victim

Moff75, thanks for your input, appreciate it. Unfortunately I took out my insurance policy a couple of days after 1800 filed for bankruptcy and before I found out about them going bust so dont think my insurance is valid in this case. I paid by lazer and have no comeback there. I've lost almost 2000 euro from this and needless to say, I'm pretty devastated. Mark Travel have confirmed that they will cancel before I arrive- I thought the injunction was only dropped for GTA?! And you're right, 1800.com are back up and running and have removed all contact details from their website. They are still taking bookings and allowed me to get to the credit card stage!! THAT CANNOT BE LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

shocksy wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone have an email address for GTA, i need to contact them so i can get a letter proving my cancellation, i arrived at the hotel last weekend and my reservation was cancelled, had to pay hotel directly again myself, MBNA said they need proof of cancellation before a chargeback can begin.

Appreciate some help, im lost here.

Hey. I don't have an email address but their number is: 00442077162400 from Ireland.

I can't believe their .com website is back up and running. How can that be allowed?

hotels-and-discounts.com is what I got transferred to, when I tried the 1800hotels online site. I had another go and got a different reservations site.Trying to pick up new business, I guess!

yeah its a f**king disgrace that these ****s can take business in the states and are screwing us in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Firefly79

What the hell is going on with the US site being back up?! That's ridiculous! Anyone who knows anyone planning a trip should tell them not to book with them. It's bad enough we got stung; now they're trying to do it to other people! :eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dids6457

Just writing while waiting for taxi tot he airport! Have had a gr8 holiday despite all!! We rebooked with you travel for the same rate who sent us a new voucher and an email saying they hadnt been paid, sent this with the 1800 confirmation on the Tuesday, got the refund on Saturday we arrived here! Really started the holiday off!! Thankgod for You Travel and Bank Of Ireland!!!!

Can't figure out that "new" 1800hotels.com site. There is a distinct lack of information about who you are dealing with. Very worrying and annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 larchieboy

Hi can you tell me what BoI address you sent all your info to (i.e. a new voucher and an email saying Youtravel hadnt been paid and the original bookings from 1800hotels)? I sent mine to the the address on their website "Bank of Ireland, Chargebacks Department, PO Box 1102, Dublin 2". I sent all the same info to them Monday but I have not recieved a refund yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ebooger

The bottom line is:

Graham Peakin is a crook and he should be deported and jailed. His staff was fired and he still owes them thousands of dollars in salary.
    Don't think the only victims are people who have booked.

moff75 wrote: »
    yeah its a f**king disgrace that these ****s can take business in the states and are screwing us in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MBIreland

ebooger wrote: »
    The bottom line is:

Graham Peakin is a crook and he should be deported and jailed. His staff was fired and he still owes them thousands of dollars in salary.
    Don't think the only victims are people who have booked.

I would like to see him face charges for the mess that has happened. He's ruined a lot of people's holidays and the fact he allowed them to carry on taking money off people for so long after the company fell apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mikestants

Booked a holiday to Rome (travelling tomorrow) back in January through 1800hotel- recieved an email from them on Friday (4 days before I was about to leave) saying they went bankrupt. No notification of whether my hotel reservation was there or not.

I called up the hotel who confirmed by booking was cancelled on the 10th July (over two weeks before I recieved the email from 1800hotels!!!).

Fortunately, I booked with a credit card, and Barclays have refunded the money.

Have also managed to find alternative booking as well.

They should face charges- they were still taking bookings when I got back off a break with my family on the 20th July!!! 15 days after my booking got cancelled and a week after they declared themselves bankrupt! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 matildajane

I found youtravel very good to deal with - they were the agents for my 1800 booking. I had to pay them again (same price) and they sent me on a letter for the bank etc. Got my refund on credit card on the day I returned from hols - boi mastercard. The girl in youtravel was telling me she was getting an awful time from some 1800.ie customers. To be fair to them they did not cancel any bookings without first contacting customers. They then gave you 48 hours to pay again. Once paid they sent on a new hotel voucher and a letter for the credit card company. All in all I think they were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

wHEN did they officially go into bankrupcy?bought AIB travel insurance on the 13th july and suppose to travelling on the 7th August?will the insurance cover me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dids6457

larchieboy wrote: »
    Hi can you tell me what BoI address you sent all your info to (i.e. a new voucher and an email saying Youtravel hadnt been paid and the original bookings from 1800hotels)? I sent mine to the the address on their website "Bank of Ireland, Chargebacks Department, PO Box 1102, Dublin 2". I sent all the same info to them Monday but I have not recieved a refund yet?

Hi the address I used was;
    BOI Card Services,
    Transactions Disputes Department,
    3rd floor,
    Operations Centre,
    Cabinteely,
    Dublin 18.
    When we arrived back from holiday there was a letter waiting from them to say they had refunded the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

juansheet wrote: »
    wHEN did they officially go into bankrupcy?bought AIB travel insurance on the 13th july and suppose to travelling on the 7th August?will the insurance cover me?

that depends on the travel insurance you got, ours didnt cover it even though they had not gone bankrupt until the next day - 13th july- but i am not sure what the exact date is, their wording says that if they cannot pay due to bankruptcy looming or some sh*t like that. i am so annoyed, lost €1700!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭eerwegtweg

ash_18x wrote: »
    that depends on the travel insurance you got, ours didnt cover it even though they had not gone bankrupt until the next day - 13th july- but i am not sure what the exact date is, their wording says that if they cannot pay due to bankruptcy looming or some sh*t like that. i am so annoyed, lost €1700!

yes, very few insurance companies cover for this. someone mentionned to me recently that Blue insurance is one of the only ones, they offer to up €2000 for third party insolvency with a €95 excess.

eerwegtweg wrote: »
    yes, very few insurance companies cover for this. someone mentionned to me recently that Blue insurance is one of the only ones, they offer to up €2000 for third party insolvency with a €95 excess.

I have my insurance with multitrip.com. Have their premier cover and im covered for 1000 less 75 for excess so thankfully ill get back 925 of the 1500 i gave this crook

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ladysugar

hello ! i booked a hotel called Isabel Family hotel on Tenerife and payed 20% deposit with a laser card to 1800hotels.ie i wrote to hotelbeds on their website but there is no number anyone know the number or know what shall i do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gitwheelman

Does anybody know how I can get a confirmation letter stating that this crowd have gone into liquidation?? My credit card co tell me i need this in order to reclaim the deposit i had paid.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elaine08

ladysugar wrote: »
    hello ! i booked a hotel called Isabel Family hotel on Tenerife and payed 20% deposit with a laser card to 1800hotels.ie i wrote to hotelbeds on their website but there is no number anyone know the number or know what shall i do now?

Hi Ladysugar,

I also was booked for an apartment in tenerife. here are the details from the email i got back from them. Hope it helps

Hotelbeds Accommodation & Destination Services
    Complejo Mirall Balear
    Camí de Son Fangós,100 - Torre A, 5ª planta
    07007 Palma de Mallorca - Spain
    Tel (+34) 971 62 43 01
    Fax (+34) 971 46 24 27
    tenerifeonline@hotelbeds.com

Advertisement