Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ankitadas

If you have the travel insurance with you then any damage and loss would be cover by the insurance company. If you lost your booking then it will also covered by them. It can be happen with any body. Having a good Travel insurance help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EuroR

Just back from my holidays and my hotel was not cancelled by youtravel. I didn't repay for my accomadation at any stage either.

I did receive emails explaining that the hotel would be cancelled if I did not pay youtravel but I called the hotel who confirmed that the booking was ok so I chose not to repay.

I was lucky and perhaps youtravel will try and follow me for the money owed but I took out a contract with 1800hotels not youtravel so I don't believe they've the grounds to persue me.

Altogether it's some mess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1800victim

Hi,

Did anyone else get an email from 1800 hotels today? I got one explaining that any rooms booked before July 14th will be canceled by the providers but any rooms booked after like the 28th of July will be honored by expedia? They also provided a case number and a form to fill in to file as a creditor in their case in bankruptcy court Florida... At least it's better than nothing, maybe I have a shot of getting something back (well aware I'm at the very bottom of the list though..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dougiehowlett

Further to your recent communication with us, on behalf of GTA, may I offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused as a result of the cancellation of your booking which you made with 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie.

GTA as a business supplies hotel accommodation and other travel products to retail travel agents, and online companies such as those operating the1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie websites. GTA has no direct connection and/or agreement with consumers such as you with regard to hotel bookings.

As you are probably aware by now the companies operating the 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie websites filed a petition on 13 July 2010 for bankruptcy in the US Bankruptcy Court. At the time of the filing of the petition GTA was owed a considerable amount of money.

As your booking was with 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie and not with GTA we are only able to advise you of the following limited information:

· GTA initially reached an agreement with the US Bankruptcy Courts that we may cancel bookings 48 hours in advance of travel where 1800Hotels.com/ 1800Hotels.ie had not paid GTA for that booking. The companies operating 1800 Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie were offered the opportunity to pay for these bookings, and were unable to do so.

· The companies operating 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie have as of 2 August 2010 admitted that they are unable to pay for any hotel accommodation that we had arranged for them and consequently we now have the agreement of the US Bankruptcy Court to cancel all bookings.

As a consequence of the latest US Bankruptcy Court ruling GTA has now cancelled all of the hotel accommodation that it arranged for the companies operating 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie.

Regretfully, we have to inform you that this means that your reservation booked with 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie has been cancelled. We recognise the impact this has on you, and are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, but you will now need to make a new booking and pay for it again. You may also wish to contact your credit card company and/or travel insurer for further advice on how to reclaim your original costs.

It has not been possible to contact customers in advance of this because personal customer data is not provided to us by the companies operating 1800 Hotels.com/1800 Hotels.ie.

Due to clear US Bankruptcy Court restrictions we are prohibited from providing further comment about the legal proceedings. We would like to take this opportunity to assure you that at all times GTA has acted only under the instructions of the court.

We apologise that we cannot assist you further with this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Khalid Dilnawaz
    Subject Matter Expert- F. I. T. Customer Service
    Travel Operations

GTA by Travelport
    Tel : +44 207 216 1714 Extn:160511
    Fax :+44 207 810 1454
    www.travelport.com
    www.gta-travel.com

Please note our new email address: lon.fitoutbound.k@gta-oss.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Further to your recent communication with us, on behalf of GTA, may I offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused as a result of the cancellation of your booking which you made with 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie.

GTA as a business supplies hotel accommodation and other travel products to retail travel agents, and online companies such as those operating the1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie websites. GTA has no direct connection and/or agreement with consumers such as you with regard to hotel bookings.

As you are probably aware by now the companies operating the 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie websites filed a petition on 13 July 2010 for bankruptcy in the US Bankruptcy Court. At the time of the filing of the petition GTA was owed a considerable amount of money.

As your booking was with 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie and not with GTA we are only able to advise you of the following limited information:

· GTA initially reached an agreement with the US Bankruptcy Courts that we may cancel bookings 48 hours in advance of travel where 1800Hotels.com/ 1800Hotels.ie had not paid GTA for that booking. The companies operating 1800 Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie were offered the opportunity to pay for these bookings, and were unable to do so.

· The companies operating 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie have as of 2 August 2010 admitted that they are unable to pay for any hotel accommodation that we had arranged for them and consequently we now have the agreement of the US Bankruptcy Court to cancel all bookings.

As a consequence of the latest US Bankruptcy Court ruling GTA has now cancelled all of the hotel accommodation that it arranged for the companies operating 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie.

Regretfully, we have to inform you that this means that your reservation booked with 1800Hotels.com/1800Hotels.ie has been cancelled. We recognise the impact this has on you, and are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, but you will now need to make a new booking and pay for it again. You may also wish to contact your credit card company and/or travel insurer for further advice on how to reclaim your original costs.

It has not been possible to contact customers in advance of this because personal customer data is not provided to us by the companies operating 1800 Hotels.com/1800 Hotels.ie.

Due to clear US Bankruptcy Court restrictions we are prohibited from providing further comment about the legal proceedings. We would like to take this opportunity to assure you that at all times GTA has acted only under the instructions of the court.

We apologise that we cannot assist you further with this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Khalid Dilnawaz
    Subject Matter Expert- F. I. T. Customer Service
    Travel Operations

GTA by Travelport
    Tel : +44 207 216 1714 Extn:160511
    Fax :+44 207 810 1454
    www.travelport.com
    www.gta-travel.com

Please note our new email address: lon.fitoutbound.k@gta-oss.com

Can I ask how you managed to get that email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 caled

1800victim wrote: »
    Hi,

Did anyone else get an email from 1800 hotels today? I got one explaining that any rooms booked before July 14th will be canceled by the providers but any rooms booked after like the 28th of July will be honored by expedia? They also provided a case number and a form to fill in to file as a creditor in their case in bankruptcy court Florida... At least it's better than nothing, maybe I have a shot of getting something back (well aware I'm at the very bottom of the list though..)

just got same from 1800hotels. icontacted hotels conect with whom 1800 book hotel and got a cancelation email confirming cancellation of hotel. worth filling in form and sending it might not get anything but might

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yanyan88

I got the email also (made reservation in May) I have called my hotel and they still have my reservation. Does it mean I wasn't affected? Or will it still be canceled for sure eventually?? Should I go ahead and make new hotel arrangements?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I got the same e-mail as you both. My hotel reservation has already gone through on my credit card about February & I have already paid the credit card bill. I rang my hotel in Boston a while ago when I first heard about this issue with 1800 hotels, about a month ago. The hotel confirmed my reservation. I guess i'd better ring again.

I realise I have enough time (I'm going to Boston in October) to make another reservation. However I booked so long ago I'd like to hold onto my original booking.

I hope everyone else gets on OK. It's a real pain, especially if like me, you book your hotel so far in advance.

I'll be wary about what website I book with in the future. I originally booked with 1800 hotels because I thought i'd give the business to an Irish company. I nearly always use hotels.com

yanyan88 wrote: »
    I got the email also (made reservation in May) I have called my hotel and they still have my reservation. Does it mean I wasn't affected? Or will it still be canceled for sure eventually?? Should I go ahead and make new hotel arrangements?

my hotel said they had the booking but hotel conect who are the bedbank bookers said they were not paid and the hotel was cancelled check with the bed bank it will say on 1800hotel corfirmation who they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yanyan88

My main concern is that my reservation could get canceled a few days or even a day before my arrival. I spoke to the hotel and they said there's no way for them to tell until it happens.... I am leaning toward booking a new reservation and dispute the charge for the old one with my credit card company. However I am worried that if my reservation doesn't get canceled, I may not be able to get my money back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gary_mck

Has anyone received this e-mail from reservations@1800hotels.com?
    If so, has anyone filled it out?

Travelers who booked hotel rooms prior to July 14th should expect their reservation to be cancelled by one of our suppliers.Please check with your hotel to confirm. Reservations may be canceled even after receiving confirmation. Travelers who find their reservations are canceled may seek a refund by submitting this form (also linked below) to the bankruptcy court in Florida. Please send the attached form to:
    The Federal Bankruptcy Court for the 11th Circuit
    801 N. FloridaAvenue Tampa, Florida 33602
    Name of Debtor: 1800hotels4U, LLC
    Case Number: 10-bk-16648-CED

Download Form

gary_mck wrote: »
    Has anyone received this e-mail from reservations@1800hotels.com?
    If so, has anyone filled it out?

Travelers who booked hotel rooms prior to July 14th should expect their reservation to be cancelled by one of our suppliers.Please check with your hotel to confirm. Reservations may be canceled even after receiving confirmation. Travelers who find their reservations are canceled may seek a refund by submitting this form (also linked below) to the bankruptcy court in Florida. Please send the attached form to:
    The Federal Bankruptcy Court for the 11th Circuit
    801 N. FloridaAvenue Tampa, Florida 33602
    Name of Debtor: 1800hotels4U, LLC
    Case Number: 10-bk-16648-CED

Download Form

got it yesterday going to fill in form nothing more to loose payed by laser so lost money anyway
    anything back is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bazza76dub

Hi Lads,
    Not sure if anyone is owed credit by 1800 hotels, but they owe me 500 euro from the volcanic ash incident. I paid up full for a hotel, then obviously I could not make the trip.
    However they promised me I had 500 credit with them to spend where I want on 1800 hotels.
    What are my chances of getting this back now?

caled wrote: »
    got it yesterday going to fill in form nothing more to loose payed by laser so lost money anyway
    anything back is a bonus

I paid by credit card, does this mean I am covered in some way?

Does anybody know how I can get a confirmation letter stating that this crowd have gone into liquidation?? My credit card co tell me i need this in order to reclaim the deposit i had paid.....

I booked a trip last Feb/March with 1800 hotels via mastercard.
    the trip was cancellend due to the volcanic ash clouds.
    They gave me 500 euro credit instead of cash back.
    Do you know if I am entitled to money back from mastercard because of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

Very strange
    I also got one of those emails from 1800 reservations yesterday (I thought they fired all their staff, who is sending that email??? Maybe its a ghost) Anyways I have sent all my info to my credit card company about two weeks ago and what im now wondering is do I have to turn around and fill up this form and go through the long task of trying to get my money back via this form instead of letting the bank do it for me???? Anyone out there who xcan help me it would be really appreciated.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 willie.c

caled wrote: »
    anything back is a bonus

how do we reply to this, do we have to mail the filled form back or post it to the address provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nice of them to finally get around to tell us that are bookings are canceled.

But that form is a waste of time. If anyone thinks they're going to get anything back out of this, they're living in a dream world.

What annoys me is the way they can resume trading with a different partner and forget about all their old customers and move on as if nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭eerwegtweg

I got the same e-mail as you both. My hotel reservation has already gone through on my credit card about February & I have already paid the credit card bill. I rang my hotel in Boston a while ago when I first heard about this issue with 1800 hotels, about a month ago. The hotel confirmed my reservation. I guess i'd better ring again.

I realise I have enough time (I'm going to Boston in October) to make another reservation. However I booked so long ago I'd like to hold onto my original booking.

I hope everyone else gets on OK. It's a real pain, especially if like me, you book your hotel so far in advance.

I'll be wary about what website I book with in the future. I originally booked with 1800 hotels because I thought i'd give the business to an Irish company. I nearly always use hotels.com

Best thing to do is to make a brand new independant booking with a hotel that has a cancellation policy that will allow you to cancel up to 2pm the day of arrival or something. Then if your original booking does materialise you can just cancel the new booking. If the original booking doesn't materialise then just go ahead and use this second booking. Booking with hotels directly usually gives the best cancellation policy. It may not be the cheapest, but it is the safest in this situation.
    That is what I did for my trip to London last week. GTA cancelled my booking only 48 hrs before arrival so at least I had made a back-up booking a while in advance so wasn't them hit with high prices for a last minute booking.

I, like you, booked with 1800hotels as it was an Irish company. When asked what card to use, I selected Laser thinking there would be less charges for them and so a good idea. Never again! Credit card all the way I reckon!

willie.c wrote: »
    how do we reply to this, do we have to mail the filled form back or post it to the address provided.

i am going to post it by register post

• Advertisement

just wondering if it is a bad idea for those who booked through visa card to fill in this form and post it to Florida!!! Are the credit card companies not trying to get our money back for us already. Are we then not just delaying the credit card companies work in their pursuit of our lost money???? i dont know any more just throwing that idea out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

banSHE wrote: »
    just wondering if it is a bad idea for those who booked through visa card to fill in this form and post it to Florida!!! Are the credit card companies not trying to get our money back for us already. Are we then not just delaying the credit card companies work in their pursuit of our lost money???? i dont know any more just throwing that idea out there

If you book with a credit card you dont need to fill out this form. It took about 10 working days to get my refund from BOI Visa

should we actually send this form off in the post??? What i mean is arent our credit card companies dealing with this at the moment?? So would we not be getn in the way of the work that they are trying to do to retrive our money???? Just a thougfht, very fed up over all of this.

Thanks Richard Tea for the fast reply. I am with AIB Visa and they havnt got back to me yet but heres hoping that the chings will be going back into my account pretty soon. Thanks again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 willie.c

banSHE wrote: »
    should we actually send this form off in the post??? What i mean is arent our credit card companies dealing with this at the moment?? So would we not be getn in the way of the work that they are trying to do to retrive our money???? Just a thougfht, very fed up over all of this.
    too true banSHE, ive five rooms booked with 1800, three with a laser card and two with credit card. Credit card company is gonna sort out theirs and im gonna fill out the claim form for laser card transaction only. Heres hoping i get something back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 strad101

I had booked a hotel room in New York for late August with 1800hotels. The position is as follows: although the hotel still has my booking it is likely that it will be cancelled, so a word of warning for anyone who checks their hotel and finds that they still have their booking. The booking comes through a bed bank company who process payment, since 1800hotels have not paid this company the hotel have not been paid. You will have to check with the bed bank company and I would advise that you also check with some one in authority in the reservations department of your hotel. I had to make six phone calls, and send two e mails before I got any action. I have had to re book my room at an extra cost of 140 euro, but count myself lucky that I didnt arrive in New York and find no booking for me. The bottom line is that anything you paid to 1800hotels is now gone and more than likely you will have to re book. Again beware of the hotel telling you that your booking is secure, this booking will be canceleld and you will not be informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

phog wrote: »
    My wife and he sisters have used this company to book a hotel in Venice, they arrived at their destination today, no booking for them.

Tried ringing the direct line, goes the voicemail. Direct line is electonically answered, selcted my preferred option and eventually I'm told to leave a message but the message box is full.:eek:

Anyone else having bother there today?

Op here, here's our update. The hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful, easy I know because they had availability in their hotel for the first night and their sister hotel for the remainder of the stay. Aside from that they were very helpful, even wrote a letter of the charges for the new bookings and the reason for the cancellations. My wife sent this off to Visa and they have now refunded the original charges.

So all turned out okay for us :)

PS Little did I know when starting this thread that 1800hotels closure would effect so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Hi, anyone get a refund from Ulster Bank yet? Hubby is getting the run around saying it will take another 3 weeks!!!! Had to send his stuff to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ballymitty

I have just come back from Spain.I booked a novotel in madrid using my laser on july 5th using 1800.ie .I was due to stay in the hotel on july 14th.The day before I rang to confirm and get directions from the airport.They said the booking was ok.The next day when I arrived I was told the booking had been cancelled and to contact hotel beds.I then had pay for the room using my credit card.What chance have I of getting my money back.I lost 130 euro's small beer to some ,but cash is cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Ballymitty -I would say contact your travel insurance company. Most don't cover, but one or two do. I'm with VHI myself, which doesn't, but other half is with Multitrip which does. However, there would be an excess of €75 on the claim.

For peace of mind, it's better to make bookings with a credit card..... and yes, it's very easy to be wise afterwards, but there are lots of internet sharks who are heartless about their victims.

Advertisement