Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a gym?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Ok so have been lifting for the last week and a half trying to follow starting strenght program. Got a squat rack built a week ago and have been trying to progress ever since. Main aim is to build an athletic physique and drop some fat
    Lifts for last week were
    Overhead press: 48kg
    Bench: 60kg
    Squat: 60kg
    Deadlift: 70kg
    Clean and jerk: 48kg
    Pullups: laughable

Hopefully my squat and deadlift will progress quickly as i imagine they should be higher than my bench by a considerable margin and im trying to do some negative pullups with little success

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4i8SpNgzA4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Decent workout today
    Overhead press: 48kg 5x4

Bench: 60kg 5x3

Deadlift: 75kg 5x3 grip felt weak must get some chalk

Clean and jerk: 48kg went up easy enough which is a nice change as i was struggling last week

Back still a little sore from last weeks squats so just did 3x15 light squats

Bench:
    40kg 5x2
    50kg 5x2
    60kg 5x3

Squat:
    40kg 5x2
    50kg 5x1
    60kg 5x1
    70kg 5x3

Deadlift:
    70kg 5x2
    75kg 5x1

Clean and jerk:
    48kg 5x3

Hope to try some metcons tomorrow

3 rounds of:
    10 x 38kg squat and press
    10 x burpees
    10 x pushups

Vomited a little bit after but i guess that just means im working my body hard

Military press
    38kg 5x1
    46kg 5x2

Push press
    50kg 3x3

Bench:
    40kg 5x1
    50kg 5x1
    60kg 5x1
    66kg 5x3

Squat:
    40kg 5x1
    50kg 5x1
    60kg 5x1
    70kg 5x1
    75kg 5x3

Deadlift:
    70kg 5x1
    75kg 5x1
    78kg 5x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Did you actually only start lifting a week ago or did you just start this program a week ago? Was just wondering about the clean and jerks because they normally take a while to master.

I'd think too that if you're squatting 75kg you should be fit to deadlift a fair whack more, have you tested your 1rm?

• Advertisement

Well ive done a few bits of weights early on in the year but that was just the machines in the gym, ive only been lifting properly the last 2 weeks i got the starting strength dvd so it goes through all the lifts. The only problem i have with the clean and jerks is popping my shoulders up so there straight out but i think its a flexibility issue. Ill try to upload a video so you can correct see if my form is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Well ive done a few bits of weights early on in the year but that was just the machines in the gym, ive only been lifting properly the last 2 weeks i got the starting strength dvd so it goes through all the lifts. The only problem i have with the clean and jerks is popping my shoulders up so there straight out but i think its a flexibility issue. Ill try to upload a video so you can correct see if my form is ok

Ah right, I just asked because I only started practising the Oly lifts properly a few weeks ago(bit of a deadlift junkie til now:p), and I'm still just working on OH Squats and Powercleans yet. Getting there with the cleans, my main problem is I sometimes end up reverse curling the bar instead. If I were you I'd try get some proper instruction on them though, I did a session with G'em a few weeks ago and it was a massive help. They're pretty complicated movements to learn from a DVD.

Military press
    38kg 5x1
    46kg 5x2

Push press
    50kg 3x3

Bench:
    40kg 5x1
    50kg 5x1
    60kg 5x1
    66kg 5x3

Squat: