Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal path

Options
  • 12-07-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I went up the new pathway from Inchicore out to Grangecastle after reading about the newly done path. It's a nice path for a walk and cycle but I was disappointed that for a cycle/footpath path the council has installed turnstiles that I had to lift my bike over and that people walking with dogs had trouble getting through . What is the thinking behind this? surely tight bollards would be better for stopping vechicles. if the bollards are narrow enough and sloped inwards this would stop most motorbikes too. The path is a step in the right direction and makes a nice linear park away from traffic but it's a pity that it's let down so much by ineptitude by whoever decided to install these gates. Has anyone else had this issue or any idea why these gates are installed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Since I use this twice a day, a few days a week, to commute in and out of work I am 100% in agreement about those blasted gates. At some places along the path you have to negotiate two gates to get down onto the way.

I still remain convinced that the gates where designed by someone who has not been on a bike since they where a toddler.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Are they definitely installed by the local council, or by Waterways Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'd guess the local council as they have been making the press releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Council, ESB and Waterways all involved I think

http://www.csea.ie/uploads/canalbrochure.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Would the bollards have stopped horses and ponies getting through? They'd be as big a safety/nuisance problem as the motorbikes, I'd have thought. As a pedestrian using the path I love it and hope the lowest common denominator don't destroy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

They spent over a year putting this together. It's a fabulous idea.

I have to agree with you about the gates. I am just in the process of writing to the council about this. It is my understanding that Dublin City Council took charge of this operation (even though it runs into SDCC) along with the ESB (as previously posted).

The gates are an absolute pain in the ass! What if you have a bunch of kids on the path cycling with you? Everybody has to get off the bikes and and a mini un-mounting, lifting and mounting operation has to take place in the middle of a pleasant cycle. And then once or twice more. Obviously they are there because of people taking motorbikes and the like down the along the walk way. But surely there is some other item they could install there to prevent motor bikes getting down?

You can't design and install a cycle way with gates that force you to physically get off your bike.

Anyway... if I hear anything back Ill let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

What the hell is wrong with everyone? It takes about 20 seconds to get through the gates, its only a problem if you have panniers and even at that you should still be able to lift it up onto the back wheel to get through.

Would you prefer to be dodging scumbags flying by on scooters the whole time and piles of horse **** everywhere, people need to get real about where this path goes through, i.e. some of the biggest **** holes in the county, inchicore, bluebell, labre park, kylemore road, kilcronan etc. surrounded by scumbags, junkies and gob****es that love nothing better to do on a weekday than sit out in the sun drinking cans at the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Tails142 wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with everyone? It takes about 20 seconds to get through the gates, its only a problem if you have panniers and even at that you should still be able to lift it up onto the back wheel to get through.

Would you prefer to be dodging scumbags flying by on scooters the whole time and piles of horse **** everywhere, people need to get real about where this path goes through, i.e. some of the biggest **** holes in the county, inchicore, bluebell, labre park, kylemore road, kilcronan etc. surrounded by scumbags, junkies and gob****es that love nothing better to do on a weekday than sit out in the sun drinking cans at the canal.

Funny that - you are actually describing the situation currently with the new cycleway and i've encountered all of the above over the last two months. And I never experienced any of these problems in 2008 prior to the new cycleway (admittedly I never used it after dark - but then I have not cycled on the new path after dark yet either). And the gates are bad - at least from a situational
    aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Theres only one thing i dislike about this....

there are tv's at entrances/exits to the walkway i.e at the waterside in Clondalkin and the tv's are too fecking bright when its dark.

when im driving by them at night they fecking blind ya and this is at 1 - 2 am when theres nobody around !!!

gotta get that sorted !

Tails142 wrote: »

Its a cycle track. Why should cyclists have to get off their bikes to cycle through? It defeats the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

there are tv's at entrances/exits to the walkway

What is the point of these?? Are they eventually going to be sold for advertising??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Theres only one thing i dislike about this....

there are tv's at entrances/exits to the walkway i.e at the waterside in Clondalkin and the tv's are too fecking bright when its dark.

when im driving by them at night they fecking blind ya and this is at 1 - 2 am when theres nobody around !!!

gotta get that sorted !

X2 There bloody blinding, a good few people have been complaining about them, particularly the waterside one when you come over the bridge and get a blinding white glare in the eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Liam_Flag

eireal wrote: »
    X2 There bloody blinding, a good few people have been complaining about them, particularly the waterside one when you come over the bridge and get a blinding white glare in the eyes!

I think that the addastone yellow finish to the path is a disaster.

Let's hope kids don't fall off their bikes and cut themselves to bits (moreso than standard tar)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I noticed that the gates where opened yesterday on the path :) If they're still open tomorrow I'll give the pathway another try rather than going up the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I'd say they were left open due to the running race that was on there on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

point your front wheel to the furthest corner of the gate area.
    Swing the gate.
    Wheel your bike out.

got it?

stop moaning about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Went for a cycle along the length of it on Saturday wouldnt bother again the gates are a pain in the asre. It wouldn't be to hard to engineer a way to keep scooters, motorbikes, pony's etc off it without ruining it but this is Dublin, they never get it right first time :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There was coverage of this in the Sunday Times, but the newspaper's site is now subscription based so I can't provide a link.

tampopo wrote: »
    point your front wheel to the furthest corner of the gate area.
    Swing the gate.
    Wheel your bike out.

got it?

stop moaning about it....

Why should cyclists have to do this on a route designed for them?

And how exactly does your suggestion work for commuters or tourists with panniers on their bikes? Or a bike with a child's seat on the back, an over sized bicycle, a tandem bicycle, a bike trailer, or a cargo bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

monument wrote: »
    There was coverage of this in the Sunday Times, but the newspaper's site is now subscription based so I can't provide a link.

Why should cyclists have to do this on a route designed for them?

And how exactly does your suggestion work for commuters or tourists with panniers on their bikes? Or a bike with a child's seat on the back, an over sized bicycle, a tandem bicycle, a bike trailer, or a cargo bike?

well you could take these gates away but you will most likely get people on mopeds and motorbikes going down the cycle way !

Really I don't know how anybody can defend the amount spent on this what has been provided for cyclists.

In the 8.5km, it's more stopping than a route via city streets with major junctions and traffic lights. Sure with traffic lights there'll be days you hit a red light each time, but with this you're going to be dismounting each time every single day.

• Advertisement

robbie_998 wrote: »
    well you could take these gates away but you will most likely get people on mopeds and motorbikes going down the cycle way !

Look at the Royal Canal, if people really want to they'll bring motor bikes on to the tow paths, kissing gates or no kissing gates.

What exactly is the point of the active CCTV if it's not going to be used to stop such behavior?

Do you really not think the following in just 8.5km is not excessive?

First large gate open because there was no room for a kissing gate and cars need access to a house a few meters up the path:
    4816126621_008c703f51.jpg

Just after the house we have a gate:
    4816751186_46454327e2.jpg

The Kylemore Road crossing will have two gates (the underpass here seems to be only temporary):
    4816752982_3a4810eb25.jpg

Then at the Killeen Road there are three gates and one other barrier one after the other... were all of these really needed?...

4816130237_c325f453f6.jpg

4816130699_183d6f8f00.jpg

Crossing the Killeen Road you really get the message this wan't designed for cyclists:

4816131081_03464374df.jpg
    4816131531_11bd12e7d3.jpg

More gates at the Ninth Lock Road:

4816133677_8048185674.jpg
    4816758052_50db48da92.jpg

And between roads (between the Ninth Lock Road and the R136:

4816134337_4d6abfedff.jpg

And just after the R136:

4816758784_02f16d072a.jpg

And the last gate before Lock Road:

4816759190_bb1732caec.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats nuts. I didn't realise it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This easily meets expectations of cycling provision in Ireland.

By which I mean it's dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This easily meets expectations of cycling provision in Ireland.

By which I mean it's dreadful.

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Liam_Flag

Build a gate...get through it.

Nice work monument.

So much for the section of the cycle policy which says:

"We will ensure that designs are created with the principal aim of preserving cyclist momentum."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Squidward

Hi, just wondering if anyone can tell me roughly how manay gates there are along the cycle path between Davitt Road and Grange castle....are we talking every 100 metres (as I read somewhere), or is it just at the junctions with roads, like at Inchicore Bridge?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Squidward

.....sorry, just realised I had accessed a more informative thread than yesterdays...complete with photos of the gates...cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

monument wrote: »
    Look at the Royal Canal, if people really want to they'll bring motor bikes on to the tow paths, kissing gates or no kissing gates.

What exactly is the point of the active CCTV if it's not going to be used to stop such behavior?

Do you really not think the following in just 8.5km is not excessive?

There is a kissing gate here its just out of your photo. This gate is generally always left open.

First large gate open because there was no room for a kissing gate and cars need access to a house a few meters up the path:
    4816126621_008c703f51.jpg

This is gate #1
    Just after the house we have a gate:
    4816751186_46454327e2.jpg

This is gate #2 and #3 in background - You will be stopping anyway to use the pedestrian crossing which has been provided?
    The Kylemore Road crossing will have two gates (the underpass here seems to be only temporary):
    4816752982_3a4810eb25.jpg

Then at the Killeen Road there are three gates and one other barrier one after the other... were all of these really needed?...
    This is gate #4
    4816130237_c325f453f6.jpg
    This is gate #5
    4816130699_183d6f8f00.jpg

Crossing the Killeen Road you really get the message this wan't designed for cyclists:
    I've never seen that yellow and black barrier closed before, did you close it for the photo? Gate #6 is in the background
    4816131081_03464374df.jpg
    4816131531_11bd12e7d3.jpg

More gates at the Ninth Lock Road:
    This is gate #7 & 8 either side of 9th Lock road where a new pedestrian crossing is provided, again you will be stopping to use the pedestrian crossing anyway?
    4816133677_8048185674.jpg
    4816758052_50db48da92.jpg

And between roads (between the Ninth Lock Road and the R136:
    This is gate #9 just beside the green area at Kilcronan estate
    4816134337_4d6abfedff.jpg

And just after the R136:
    This is gate #10
    4816758784_02f16d072a.jpg

And the last gate before Lock Road:
    This is gate #11
    4816759190_bb1732caec.jpg

The whole cycle path is 8.5 kilometres long with a total of 10 gates if you cycle the full distance - and maybe not everyone who uses the path for commuting will cycle the full route every day, also several of the gates are either side of a road beside pedestrian crossings where you would be stopping anyway to wait for a break in traffic/lights to change.

I dont see the major issue here, there are always cyclists that prefer to use on road facilities rather than off road facilities, generally commuting cyclists. I myself much prefer to use on road facilities as cars are far more predictable than pedestrians but that's another topic.

This is a shared cycle pedestrian/pathway and I believe its primary goal was to cater for twin ESB 110kV ducting/cabling and as a secondary convenience to improve the canal towpath and encourage people to come onto the banks. IMO MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

All users of the path especially cyclists , whether they're just out for a sunday cycle or commuting to work wont be enjoying themselves if there are scumbags flying up and down the paths on scramblers to see how fast they can go which you would have seen every day on the canal towpath in clondalkin and up towards lucan. Or the horses and jarveys racing up and down, which you will still see on the north bank of the canal if you go to the 9th lock on the weekend. They just lift the jarveys up over the bollards that are there.

If somebody came up with a gate that stopped or at least acted as a proper deterrent to horses and scramblers, allowed pedestrians, bicycles and wheelchairs through then it would be used. But it doesnt exist so this is what's called a 'compromise' to make sure everyones interests are catered for.

Just as a P.S. I did watch a group of knackers take a horse through one of the kissing gates the other week, it took them a few minutes to get all its legs in the right place but eventually they managed it. If you can get a horse through you can get a fk'in bike through. :D

Advertisement