Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore Public Transport

Options
  • 12-07-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi

Im moving to Galway mid August with my boyfriend. We want to rent a house and really like Oranmore as its a lovely town & it is in our price range for a modern house.

I will be starting NUI Galway in September & have heard traffic can be a nightmare in morning and evenings, considering NUI is the other side of the city I am willing to suffer some traffic. My boyfriend on shift hours so traffic isnt as big an issue for him.

Any advice on buses, trains, travel duration from Oranmore, or any other nice areas if not directly in the city then within easy commute?

Thanks Guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Traffic can be pretty bad at rush hour. Thankfully, there are bus lanes to shave off several minutes from the journey both ways.

Driving will have you in town in a few minutes when traffic's light.

There's an early bus that serves Oranmore that passes by NUIG. Handy on a wet day - should have you in by 0830. Otherwise, it's about a 10 minute walk from the station.

Given Bus Éireann's punctuality (or more so, lack there of), be prepared to get an earlier service often just to ensure you make lectures on time. CityLink also services Oranmore but the fares are crazy and they've also reduced some of their service frequency along that route.

A taxi should set you back by €15/€20, just to give you a rough idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

Thanks ethernet that was alot of help.

How long in rush hour would it take me to get there by bus?

Is there a train station opening in Oranmore? This may be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I have got a bus on a few occasions and is fine, though you want to make sure you are at the bus stop early enough as they all seem to come at the same time and then your stuck for ages if you have missed them.
    What stops me getting the bus is the cost as the buses are intercity not local buses. Also you cant do something sensible like buying a travel card that will allow you to travel on any of the buses that turns up.
    You wont be held up too much at rush hour in the morning as what bus lanes there are get you past all the places you would be held up. So around 20mins or so in the morning to the bus station then a 10mn walk to NUIG

I drive in from Oranmore to near NUIG and it takes me around the 30mins mark (can take a bit more particularly if its raining) and I leave somewhere between 8.15 and 8.30.
    The traffic is noticeably lighter in the past 12months or so and certainly isnt as bad as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

BroFlo wrote: »
    Thanks ethernet that was alot of help.

How long in rush hour would it take me to get there by bus?

As Webbs has said, about 20 minutes, thanks to the bus lane. Wouldn't pin your hopes on the train - sloooooooow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Mr_Emmet

Buses are grand for getting in in the morning, the Healy bus company have buses at 7:30 8:30 and I'm not sure of it but possibly 9:30 they cost €3 (this year they did anyway) and stop directly outside the college. The same company do a bus at 18:00 sharp from the bus stop on university road, this stops for 10-15 mins in eyre square as well but I wouldn't count on that I've missed it loads of times.
    Bus Eireann and Citylink both do services to Eyre Square as the others have said, but they can be unreliable if you're getting in for a 9 lecture, especially with having to walk from the square.
    Student parking fills up really quick if you're thinking of driving, all this year I left at ten to eight just to ensure a space and even then coming up to exams missed out on a space. But we never parked in corrib village or at the Park and Walk as it was for most of the year, if not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Would advise to post on Galway City as well, JustMary will have good advice for ya! ;)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

BroFlo wrote: »

There is one planned. Haven't heard a huge amount about it but I think it's either planned to open next year or they are planning on starting construction next year (really not too sure).

When it eventually does open, there will be 28 trains stopping at the station everyday (14 in each direction) and I reckon the journey time to the City Centre will be roughly 10 mins.

The unfortunate thing is that the train station will be a bit out from Oranmore town centre, think it will be out across from the Oranmore Business Park. So it could be a long walk if you're living near the Southern end of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Starting construction next year but it is supposed to be in Gurraun which is near the automated level crossing out the cross road. It's nearly a mile from Oranmore and frankly that's so close to Galway that I wouldn't bother as you will probably still have to drive there and then pay for parking

Advertisement