Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I just don't got no kick.

• 12-07-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I've noticed a trend on long rides where I just don't have any kick for sprints and quick climbs. I've never really done any structured athletic training and cycle and run to stay fit. Now however over the last few runs in Clonmel and Carrick I find myself suffering when it comes to upping the pace for a sprint. Sean Kelly was out two weeks ago and he really put the foot down leaving me behind on the last 8km of a >100km ride. What can I do to remedy this? I can manage long rides at a strong pace but when it gets "sprinty" I just get dropped.

PS: Yes, that was a shameless name drop. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Firstly don't pit yourself against one of the sports greatest competitors.:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

glad to see im not the only one who suffers from that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hermy wrote: »
    Firstly don't pit yourself against one of the sports greatest competitors.:p

Haha, this is true however the rest of my post remains valid. I was out yesterday on the same spin sans the great man and while I wasn't dropped I was damn close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Was it a sequence of short 200m(ish) sprints? Or was it a fast 8km TT to the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

This could be down to muscle composition of fast twitch vs. slow twitch.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Almost all deficiencies in road cycling are down to not having enough sustainable power/aerobic capacity/whatever you call it.

Even sprinting requires it - if your aerobic capacity is insufficient you'll use up your anaerobic capacity in the build up and won't have anything left for the sprint itself.

It was a long 100KM training spin. There were no planned sprints but you know yourselves there will inevitably be some sprinting in a group of 15-20. Unfortunately I find myself struggling when some fcuker decides to show off and the rest of the posse follow him.

Was it a sequence of short 200m(ish) sprints? Or was it a fast 8km TT to the end?

plus what you said Pete...the fast 8KM TT to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Is it only after a long spin? if you were doing a 50k ride and somebody went by you TT'ing at 40km/ph plus could you latch on the back?

have you ever done any interval work?

No, it's not limited to long spins. Intervals? What are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If its long spins only then its likely to be your endurance. For example you're very unlikely to be able to sprint near the end of your longest spin and more likely to be able to at 80% of your long spin.

Thus if you want to be able to sprint after 100k, you might want to get use to riding 150k and therefore you wont be as tired at the 100k mark and thus more able to sprint.

obviously throwing in sprint efforts at various points of the long training spins will help you get use to it and your legs will have a less jelly like feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

If you get dropped by a gradual build up of speed during the last 8km, then I'd say you should be working on your FTP (functional threshold power) aka your TT power. To train this, do FTP intervals.

If you get dropped by a sudden acceleration or find that you can stay in the group until the final 200m but always come last in the sprint to the line, then you should probably be working on your anaerobic max power. To train this, do sprint intervals.

In practice, even if the first case doesn't apply, you'll find that by working on your FTP you'll come into the final 200m much fresher and better able to sprint to the line. FTP is arguably the most important parameter for cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

This is common. That ability to jump around, get into breaks, chase breaks, sprint etc... needs to be trained. When I started racing I came over from the leisure world (very long distances at a good pace), one of the guys commented that I was little more than a "fast fred" and would be sorted if all the races were 300km, however for racing I would need to change my training.

That meant intervals, standing start sprints, power training, jumps, simulations of racing in training (much like you would be doing on some of the hills / near the finish of the ride with the carrick group). It takes time and there is no secret to it. Put yourself on a program for 6 weeks and see how you progress.

e.g. get involved in the sprints on Sunday, do a race or two in the local leagues etc... Do 5 x 1 minute max effort intervals with 2-5 mins between them on Tuesday, 5 x 10 second standing start sprints on Wednesday, 3 x 5 minutes high threshold intervals on Thursday etc..... I am not suggesting that this is the program you do, but something of this flavour for a few weeks will make a marked difference to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

coolbeans wrote: »
    Sean Kelly was out two weeks ago and he really put the foot down leaving me behind on the last 8km of a >100km ride.
    Unfortunately I find myself struggling when some fcuker decides to show off and the rest of the posse follow him.

some fooker? lots of us would love an opportunity to be smoked by one of the worlds legends of cycling ffs! - count yourself lucky :confused:

me@ucd wrote: »
    some fooker? lots of us would love an opportunity to be smoked by one of the worlds legends of cycling ffs! - count yourself lucky :confused:

UCD you me misunderstand me. Every other fcuker who smokes me falls into this category; not SK. I thought this evident but apparently not. :)
    Thanks quigs, I'll try a few intervals this week. Anyone up for a few session midweek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

UCD you me misunderstand me. Every other fcuker who smokes me falls into this category; not SK. I thought this evident but apparently not. :)
    Thanks quigs, I'll try a few intervals this week. Anyone up for a few session midweek?

It's easier to do intervals on your own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bartoli

Did Cronin smoke you to??

Get down to the Waterford league tonight.You won't be long about sorting the kick out then:D

Advertisement