Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bought pc off ebay! not so sure it is a good deal..

Options
  • 12-07-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

hi i recently bought a pc from ebay, trustworthy seller so i tought..

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180527287144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i received it and a couple of things putted me off..

first of all i m not a pc expert or anything, but the listing clearly says 1028 mb graphics card.. cpuz says its only 512 mb.. now the reply the seller gave me was

Hi,

as described in the offer, the graphics card 1024 MB of TurboCache,
    The map assigns to add memory size at a resolution as 1920 *

This is also in the offer described the same way.

tbh , i have been using google translator to translate most of the stuff from g erman, but i tought 1028 mb didnt need any translation!

so any pc experts around here can clarify whats he talking about? how is the card gonna pick an extra 512 mb of ram from setting the resolution ?

finally do you think it is good value overall?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

j4vier wrote: »
    hi i recently bought a pc from ebay, trustworthy seller so i tought..

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180527287144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i received it and a couple of things putted me off..

first of all i m not a pc expert or anything, but the listing clearly says 1028 mb graphics card.. cpuz says its only 512 mb.. now the reply the seller gave me was

Hi,

as described in the offer, the graphics card 1024 MB of TurboCache,
    The map assigns to add memory size at a resolution as 1920 *

This is also in the offer described the same way.

tbh , i have been using google translator to translate most of the stuff from g erman, but i tought 1028 mb didnt need any translation!

so any pc experts around here can clarify whats he talking about? how is the card gonna pick an extra 512 mb of ram from setting the resolution ?

finally do you think it is good value overall?

Turbocache uses some of the main RAM for the video card.

A Geforce 9500 can ahve up to 1024 megs of it's own RAM, so it's unclear how much it has already, or if he's quoting that with the use of Turbocache.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

thanks for the reply

so would i be right in saying that the auction is misleading ?

cpuz clearly states that the ram on the card is 512

or is the other 512 mb coming from the 4gb installed of proper ram installed on the pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

thanks for the reply

so would i be right in saying that the auction is misleading ?

cpuz clearly states that the ram on the card is 512

or is the other 512 mb coming from the 4gb installed of proper ram installed on the pc?

Yup. The advert is factually correct, you just had to know what Turbocache meant. Besides 512mb or 1gb on that card isn't going to make a whole bunch of difference. The GPU will be maxed out long before it needs 1gb of video memory.

thanks for the info sink

i guess that clears it up !

finally can i ask you guys if its good value for money?

i tought it was at 360 including the postage,
    but i understand the components are chosen to be budget orientated!

i saw the mobo has a serial port at the back as well which i tought it was removed in the latest pcs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

paid 400 euro for a very similar spec machine a year ago, so i dont think its a bad deal at all (imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

thanks for the info sink

i guess that clears it up !

finally can i ask you guys if its good value for money?

i tought it was at 360 including the postage,
    but i understand the components are chosen to be budget orientated!

i saw the mobo has a serial port at the back as well which i tought it was removed in the latest pcs?

For the price its an okay deal, low spec case, motherboard and psu is where they saved money but cant complain at that price.

thanks guys

i can put my mind at peace now

If you where to build the exact same spec pc on hardwareversand would cost you 363.68 not including delivery, an o/s or putting it together so I think thats a good deal. I included the exact same parts or cheaper ones to get the price.

thanks deceit

i guess it wasnt a huge saving then, but i m glad not to have been ripped off! ebay is really hit or miss

i ll have to put on os on mine cos this one has only a trial version of win 7 and its in german only so i knew that beforehand anyway

thanks deceit

i guess it wasnt a huge saving then, but i m glad not to have been ripped off! ebay is really hit or miss

i ll have to put on os on mine cos this one has only a trial version of win 7 and its in german only so i knew that beforehand anyway

But when you add 30 for assembly (guessing you would pay for that as bought a put together system) and 30 for delivery its a pretty decent deal. Hardwareversand is in alot of cases the cheapest out of the main sites so I would say its a good deal.423.68 total cost so a 63.68 saving on a 400 quid system is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Its an okay multimedia PC, not so great for hardcore gaming, but will play quite a few modern games on medium-ish settings..

If you do decide to upgrade the graphics card at a later date for gaming, probably best to ask here beforehand, memory on graphics cards does not really = performance, its more the power of the card itself..

With Ebay, especially the big sites, .de and .co.uk, unless you know the subject matter very well you will rarely get a very good deal (there are always loads of bargain hawks circling).. but fair do's, with this PC it wasn't too bad to be honest

thanks guys

im quite happy with it tbh, i wouldnt really use the pc for games, hd movies, and office type of work

have to say it has a hdmi port as well which wasnt mentioned so i guess you lose some and you win some

Advertisement