Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my Rifle thread

Options
  • 12-07-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

Not a question, Just a thread for all you guys out there who have pimped or are pimping your rifle at the moment, either DIY or work you had done.

A knowledge sharing thread. What works, what does not work. What you found best value for your buck etc.

I'm pimping my stock on my stalking rifle at the minute. Any body on here got any pimped stalking rifles, or ideas that could be used; then post them here ;)

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-vtr.aspx

Before Pimping
    20096515556-rem700vtr_ms.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

First I removed Muzzle break and threaded and added a Moderator.
    Then when I was re-stocking I decided the stock needed some pimping.

The fore end could flex and touch the barrel.
    So I am getting a new stock in my favourite colour "green"

The VTR comes with a 2" Muzzle break. Which was removed and re-crowned, as the Factory crowns are poor.

Next is a PSE stock, work ongoing.

So guys, show me your pimp jobs/work done etc.

Leave it in a way that others may learn from our mistakes/improvements.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have a .223 Tikka Varmint which was threaded for a mod

Had it duracoated by gunhappy_ie off here and it was a brilliant job.

Other than that I didn't do anything but if there was a decent tactical type stock for it I would go for that as the stock on the tikka is not nice.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have a .223 Tikka Varmint which was threaded for a mod

Had it duracoated by gunhappy_ie off here and it was a brilliant job.

Other than that I didn't do anything but if there was a decent tactical type stock for it I would go for that as the stock on the tikka is not nice.

pics??

pics??

Don't actually have any Tack of the way it looks now

Might take some the next time I'm out though (whenever we get another fine spell to zero it again). Have a 12-42x56 Nightforce on it which is a little excessive but for long range stuff it is great fun.

Brother has a remington 700 300 win mag in AICS stock which is a bit of fun. Threaded for a mod. With the mod, recoil pad and the weight of the stock it is not too bad recoil wise. Better than his former sako 75 hunter in .270 anyway. Lovely rifle but it made me flinch like nothing else.

He has his stalking scope on the 300 now though so it is not great for longer range work just yet. When he gets a target scope for it, it will be much more fun.

• Advertisement

Don't actually have any Tack of the way it looks now

Might take some the next time I'm out though (whenever we get another fine spell to zero it again). Have a 12-42x56 Nightforce on it which is a little excessive but for long range stuff it is great fun.

Brother has a remington 700 300 win mag in AICS stock which is a bit of fun. Threaded for a mod. With the mod, recoil pad and the weight of the stock it is not too bad recoil wise. Better than his former sako 75 hunter in .270 anyway. Lovely rifle but it made me flinch like nothing else.

He has his stalking scope on the 300 now though so it is not great for longer range work just yet. When he gets a target scope for it, it will be much more fun.

I've the 5.5 -22 on the VTR. Edi is going to make me a stock.(left cheek rise, right bolt slot)

I am left eye dominant, but right handed. So Edi will provide me with a lovely stock all things going well.

I decided last night I'm going to get another Timney. If I have all my rifles same trigger pressure I will "hopefully" have less getting used to a different trigger pressure when stalking.

I do believe I am one of the first in the country with a VTR with a mod on, as they come Toblerone shaped its not simple to thread, but do able :D

So with a new stock, glass bedding and RWS ammo It should be a force to be reckoned with against deer, and the odd Fox or head shot bunny

I do believe I am one of the first in the country with a VTR with a mod on, as they come Toblerone shaped its not simple to thread, but do able :D

Down the line if you want a different barrel can the "Toblerone" shaped one be taken off like a regular barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

My girl pimped for International in Milan in '07

Down the line if you want a different barrel can the "Toblerone" shaped one be taken off like a regular barrel?

Ah yeah, It is the same joining configuration.

Remmys are very simple. The actions stay the same, the barrels differ keeping down costs.

There is very little diff between my VTR and VSSF II action other than the material SS Vs reg coated remmy steel.

I'm trying to keep weight to a min, whilst accuracy to the max.

Hence Pimping :)

The VTR is VERY loud in the short barrel as the sound escapes closer to user IMHO.

With the mod on, there is VERY little recoil and she is balanced well due to the short barrel. Zeroing wed to take a few pics of groups pre Edi Stock-ing ;)

LB6 wrote: »
    My girl pimped for International in Milan in '07

Very nice !

• Advertisement

this guy demonstrates the VTR and also shows that Lefties shoot right handed too :D

Edi are you watching this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

NOT another "Mine Bigger Than Yours" thread PLEASE.

Well here's mine

beerbelly3.jpg

clivej wrote: »

No clive.

You are missing the point entirely.

This thread is for folk who have modifed there rifle to show what they have done, but most important is to show what they have learned along the way.

You have a lot to contribute here having bedded your rifle recently.

The mod's asked for a seperate thread and here it is.
    It's good to share knowledge.

That is what boards.ie is about.

So back on thread, can you show what you have doen to your rifle, what you found worthwhile and what you found was a poor Return on investment.

For example if you used a certain type epoxy once and it turned out to be useless, or if you found one type to work better over another.

My hope is that Newbies can learn a lot from the combined experience of the collective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

No clive.

You are missing the point entirely.

This thread is for folk who have modifed there rifle to show what they have done, but most important is to show what they have learned along the way.

You have a lot to contribute here having bedded your rifle recently.

The mod's asked for a seperate thread and here it is.
    It's good to share knowledge.

That is what boards.ie is about.

So back on thread, can you show what you have doen to your rifle, what you found worthwhile and what you found was a poor Return on investment.

For example if you used a certain type epoxy once and it turned out to be useless, or if you found one type to work better over another.

My hope is that Newbies can learn a lot from the combined experience of the collective.

Mines still bigger and still up before me in the morning:D

This is what I badgered for and the Mods put up for us
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444087

[

This is what I badgered for and the Mods put up for us
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444087

Ah Clive, that thread is too spread out and not current regarding Pimping.
    This is a specific thread on pimping rifles only.

Edit

I see your new job is up on it, however if someone wishes to solely PIMP a rifle and does a google search they will land on the Pimping thread

Has anybody done any DIY Pimping on their rifles?

Spraying etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Has anybody done any DIY Pimping on their rifles?

Spraying etc

jesus your very fond of the word 'pimping'

jap gt wrote: »
    jesus your very fond of the word 'pimping'

Well, myself and another poster were talking about a new stock on another thread and a mod said we should start a new thread about our pimping.

So I did!

I have "tuned" everything I have ever owned, motorbikes, cars , jeeps, RIFLES.

Some TWEAKS worked out well, some did not.
    However it would have been handy if I could have learned from others experiences.

This is my belief of what this thread is about.

Today, 10:15 #16
    Vegeta

Mod: Elder Scrolls, Hunting, Shooting
    Lads I am not trying to be rude and I don't want to discourage conversation on rifle pimping as I love that stuff but has the thread gone a long way from John's original question.

The topic you are discussing is very interesting and maybe a new thread to continue it is a good idea

Don't worry Tack, this thread is in no fear of being closed unless someone goes silly buggers in here.

Clive I think this thread is more for discussion as opposed to tips. I want to keep the Signal to Noise Ratio high in the tips section and some of your excellent contributions do just that.

This thread I think is for more general discussion and chat about rifle modifications and it doesn't matter if it meanders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Pimp'n ain't easy...
    zeiss_sam_riflescope.jpg

Sorry about the size. Is there a tag attribute that I can use to force it to a size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

FISMA wrote: »
    Sorry about the size. Is there a tag attribute that I can use to force it to a size?
    'fraid not :(

And that's definitely a candidate for worlds most over-complicated air rifle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Sparks wrote: »
    that's definitely a candidate for worlds most over-complicated air rifle :D

is that not the new super soaker 3000:D

Sparks wrote: »
    'fraid not :(

And that's definitely a candidate for worlds most over-complicated air rifle :D

FISMA

save pic, open in paint.
    view(resize skew) save as
    the we posting pic post resized pic

I know of a guy that has an old German AFAIK .243 rifle bolt action bullpup.
    Not very pimped though.

Any body done anything unusual to their rifles construction?

Shortened/lengthened barrel, Fancy paint job etc?

Especially folk who took a few pics along the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Now, how is this done?

Light tactical rifle, Barrel thicker than a varmint not carbon...
    but the complete rifles only weighs 2.9kg.
    edi
    Picture544.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ejg wrote: »
    Now, how is this done?

Light tactical rifle, Barrel thicker than a varmint not carbon...
    but the complete rifles only weighs 2.9kg.
    edi

The stock is an optical illusion? :p

The stock is an optical illusion? :p

The stocks weigh 700grams in 100% carbon fiber
    or 850 grams normal glass/carbon fiber.

i'm acquiring a glass carbon fibre one myself. The weight of 3 packets of taytos won't off put me :D

Surely IWM you must be a PIMP merchant.

If you have not pimped already have you any pimping ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

The RH40, in this case the howa action is lightened, and an experimental
    Lothar Walther stainless/aluminum Barrel fitted. The stock is around 800 grams. Looks 7kg,.... weighs under 3kg.

If one can solve the moderator fitting on such a barrel, I would like one myself for a lightweight hunter, the barrel wouldn't need to be quite as fat.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Surely IWM you must be a PIMP merchant.

If you have not pimped already have you any pimping ideas?

Jaysus you really love that word... To be honest, I'm more or less a traditionalist where hunting rifles are concerned. I like good walnut in mine, and I like them to be extremely well built from the off, feel strong and solid, and shoot very well. That's why I like Sako and similar outfits. My second-hand rifle consistently shoots under an inch with everything I feed it, which is plenty for a stalking rifle, fits well, points well, balances well, has a great trigger and a good barrel, right out of the box. That's why I wouldn't go Remington. Sure, you could make it very accurate, and some of the aftermarket triggers are nice enough, but I don't want to have to replace a barrel, or at the very least have it re-crowned. I don't want to have to ask whether the rifle's free-floated or take a sander to the stock. I don't want to have to deal with aftermarket triggers in a hunting rifle or choose a new stock because the Remington ones are squishy muck. All I've really got planned for my gun is a calibre change down the line, so a re-barrelling and possibly an operation on the bolt face. That's all though. For target rifles, again, while the nature of the game is tweaking, I like to take a solid known quantity and work away with it. I like my Sako for hunting, because it's right straight out of the box, and I like my Anschutz for the same reason, though obviously far more ammo testing and tweaking goes into the target rifle. If someone shows me real benefits, practical benefits, to changing how I do things, I'll be delighted to hear them though, and maybe I'll change, but I figure spending time shooting from a variety of positions with the hunting rifle is far, far more important than changing a 1" shooter to a 1/2" shooter by re-barrelling, re-crowning, glass and pillar bedding and changing out the stock. It's all of shag all use if you can't hold the damn thing steady on your target of choice out to the ranges you want to be able to hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I do find there's an aesthetic appeal to a well-made firearm, but (a) this is what I think of when you say pimped:

tacticoolAR15.jpg

and (b) I find far more aesthetic appeal in a 10.9, and if I have to have a horribly mismatched and hacked-up frankenrifle to shoot a 10.9, I'll mismatch and hack with a vengeance. More important to look good by shooting a 10.9 than to look good by having the shiniest kit, at least to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you look real close I think there may be a gun under there somewhere.

Advertisement