Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my Rifle thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

6a00d8341c7ae753ef0120a5682bbd970c-800wi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Sparks wrote: »
    I do find there's an aesthetic appeal to a well-made firearm, but (a) this is what I think of when you say pimped:

tacticoolAR15.jpg

and (b) I find far more aesthetic appeal in a 10.9, and if I have to have a horribly mismatched and hacked-up frankenrifle to shoot a 10.9, I'll mismatch and hack with a vengeance. More important to look good by shooting a 10.9 than to look good by having the shiniest kit, at least to me :)

Thats something CliveJ would have........

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Here's what I did to mine!
    Factory as it came to me:
    10FLPFactorystock.jpg
    Fired away stock, trigger and mounts. Put on Ken Farrell picatinny rings and scope rail, changed stock for choate varmint stock and replaced the accu trigger with a Rifle Basics unit. Fitted a millett TRS1 scope on top 4-16X:
    10FLP.jpg
    Then I changed scope for a Burris laser scope and incorporated the remote into the stock for ease of use, it's a tiny little button now in front of the trigger guard so you just have to tip it with your trigger finger to get a reading. then I got bored and went to work again on it. I machined out the factory stock to take bottom metal for a savage .308, adjusted accuracy international .308 magazines feed lips and fitted side plates so that the mags would feed .223 reliably and inproved the pillar bedding to suit, ta-da!:
    Savage10FLP223boxmag-1.jpg
    Then I found out that the mag capacity was too high and could get me in trouble so I scrapped the project and went back to version 2 with the Choate stock. Which I'm still using!
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Here's what I did to mine!
    Factory as it came to me:
    10FLPFactorystock.jpg
    Fired away stock, trigger and mounts. Put on Ken Farrell picatinny rings and scope rail, changed stock for choate varmint stock and replaced the accu trigger with a Rifle Basics unit. Fitted a millett TRS1 scope on top 4-16X:
    10FLP.jpg
    Then I changed scope for a Burris laser scope and incorporated the remote into the stock for ease of use, it's a tiny little button now in front of the trigger guard so you just have to tip it with your trigger finger to get a reading. then I got bored and went to work again on it. I machined out the factory stock to take bottom metal for a savage .308, adjusted accuracy international .308 magazines feed lips and fitted side plates so that the mags would feed .223 reliably and inproved the pillar bedding to suit, ta-da!:
    Savage10FLP223boxmag-1.jpg
    Then I found out that the mag capacity was too high and could get me in trouble so I scrapped the project and went back to version 2 with the Choate stock. Which I'm still using!
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

That's pimped!

You are allowed more than 5 rounds in a centrefire mag, once it is bolt action

Hi Tackleberrywho,
    The mag capacity was 9 rounds of .223 with the 5 shot .308 mag and 16 with the 10 shot .308 mag. Just felt it a bit much for field use. It can hold 5 X .223's with the standard blind box mag (6 if you top it up) and I've never had to reload it while in the field in any one sitting. One or two rounds always does the trick for what I'm shooting at. I did on the other hand find it much easier to unload compared to the blind box that requires the rounds to be stripped out. It could also handle 75+ grain VLD bullets due to the extra lenght in the mag, these fed no problem where they wouldn't fit in a standard .223 detachable box mag due to the max OAL.
    I might revisit it again with a better stock from McMillan in a few years as they have the CNC programme on file to inlet for that botton metal so it would arrive to me ready for use as a drop in ready stock.
    Thanks for the positive comment, I love doing mods on firearms (I feel like their mine when it's done if you know what I mean)
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Nice rifle Slugchucker! Fair flay to you for doing all that stuff yourself. I especially like your detachable mag system; the savage blind mags are a bit of a pain.

I am curious as to why you switched out the factory accutrigger? Seems to get rave reviews from everyone.

Hi Tackleberrywho,
    The mag capacity was 9 rounds of .223 with the 5 shot .308 mag and 16 with the 10 shot .308 mag. Just felt it a bit much for field use. It can hold 5 X .223's with the standard blind box mag (6 if you top it up) and I've never had to reload it while in the field in any one sitting. One or two rounds always does the trick for what I'm shooting at. I did on the other hand find it much easier to unload compared to the blind box that requires the rounds to be stripped out. It could also handle 75+ grain VLD bullets due to the extra lenght in the mag, these fed no problem where they wouldn't fit in a standard .223 detachable box mag due to the max OAL.
    I might revisit it again with a better stock from McMillan in a few years as they have the CNC programme on file to inlet for that botton metal so it would arrive to me ready for use as a drop in ready stock.
    Thanks for the positive comment, I love doing mods on firearms (I feel like their mine when it's done if you know what I mean)
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

I remember back in the day I had 3 35 round 10/22 mags and a speed loader:D
    I generally use 5-10 rounds on an average day on bunnies

and 1-2 on deer with the .308.

The range is where large capacity is really required IMHO.
    10 round is more than enough for centrefire IMvHO

Hibrion wrote: »
    Nice rifle Slugchucker! Fair flay to you for doing all that stuff yourself. I especially like your detachable mag system; the savage blind mags are a bit of a pain.

I am curious as to why you switched out the factory accutrigger? Seems to get rave reviews from everyone.

Well if you've ever tried a glock trigger it won't pull if you don't engage the trigger safety correctly. Well an accutrigger while in appearance looks like a glock trigger but it act's differently. If you pull the trigger but don't engage the trigger safety blade correctly it uncocks the action. I tried it a number of times on the range using gloves etc and got a number of these safety related off cocks. I only put my finger on the trigger when I intend to fire, I don't need something that might cause me to need to recock my action and miss the shot. Anyway the Rifle Basix trigger IMO is lighter and sweeter than the factory trigger. Horses for courses as they say!
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

A few Roedale go faster bits that I stuck on my new T3.

The stainless steel scope rail is something realy good. This means I have only one kind of scope mounts for all my rifles as they all have a rail. Interchanging scopes is easy and quick.
    The bolt shroud made of stainless is mainly for looks but is certainly a quality upgrade from the plastic bit that sometimes cracks or falls off.

When I saw that huge bolt handle first I laughed, on the rifle it makes sense and handling is actually great. Cycling the bolt with the rifle on the shoulder is a doddle.

So even if these shiny bits look pimp they actually seem well thought through and usefull.
    edi
    DSCN4604.jpg

DSCN4606.jpg

ejg wrote: »
    A few Roedale go faster bits that I stuck on my new T3.

The stainless steel scope rail is something realy good. This means I have only one kind of scope mounts for all my rifles as they all have a rail. Interchanging scopes is easy and quick.
    The bolt shroud made of stainless is mainly for looks but is certainly a quality upgrade from the plastic bit that sometimes cracks or falls off.

When I saw that huge bolt handle first I laughed, on the rifle it makes sense and handling is actually great. Cycling the bolt with the rifle on the shoulder is a doddle.

So even if these shiny bits look pimp they actually seem well thought through and usefull.
    edi
    DSCN4604.jpg

DSCN4606.jpg

Looking flash mate;)
    I like the tape holding the flip caps on.... thats a one off custom if i`ve ever seen one...I should of thought of that last season after losing 2 sets...

You all geared up for an assult on the kerry sika then? not long now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

While I'm at it....
    this is a special one-off stock we just made.
    The question was asked how light could one make a tactical stock that is of course sturdy enough for all the abuse.
    We took on the project as we will do more developement work in this direction anyway.
    In this case the swedish customer will inlet the action area himself and fit
    his custom long action 308 Norma mag into the stock.
    The stock is made of carbon fiber with layers of Kevlar in the critical areas. A big advantage compared to conventional fiberglass stocks is that on this stock the barrel channel and action area has a layer of carbon increasing the stiffness and torsion stiffness.

Total weight for this tactical stock. Including butt pad, 3 swivel studs, epoxy primer, adjustable cheek raiser and metal bits. Total 877 grams.
    The inlet milling will get the weight down to around 800 grams.

DSCN4599.jpg

DSCN4594.jpg

DSCN4585.jpg

ejg wrote: »
    While I'm at it....
    this is a special one-off stock we just made.
    The question was asked how light could one make a tactical stock that is of course sturdy enough for all the abuse.
    We took on the project as we will do more developement work in this direction anyway.
    In this case the swedish customer will inlet the action area himself and fit
    his custom long action 308 Norma mag into the stock.
    The stock is made of carbon fiber with layers of Kevlar in the critical areas. A big advantage compared to conventional fiberglass stocks is that on this stock the barrel channel and action area has a layer of carbon increasing the stiffness and torsion stiffness.

Total weight for this tactical stock. Including butt pad, 3 swivel studs, epoxy primer, adjustable cheek raiser and metal bits. Total 877 grams.
    The inlet milling will get the weight down to around 800 grams.

DSCN4599.jpg

DSCN4594.jpg

DSCN4585.jpg

Edi....If you need a crash test dummy for your proto type...My 300 would look so nice sitting in that stock...And I promise i will abuse the sh!t out of it to see how it handles..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

lads lads when your replying to a post do you really have to quote the whole one its getting a bit tiresome having to scroll down half a page for half a line of a reply :rolleyes:

landkeeper wrote: »
    lads lads when your replying to a post do you really have to quote the whole one its getting a bit tiresome having to scroll down half a page for half a line of a reply :rolleyes:

Sorry boss... just think of the scolling down as a good workout for your trigger finger:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i'm liking the cheek riser, pretty much the same as a karsten, can you buy them off you and fit em ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

I love this thread, It has explained so much to me! Im looking to pimp my Ruger all Weather Hawkeye ( http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAllWeather/specSheets/7117.html ) can anyone tell me if a hogue M77 long action stock will fit it exactly the same as the origionl does, i believe they are the same except the hawkeye stock is just narrower, Looking at a Hogue full bedded block stock in OD green online,if i can get it shipped here that is, if not can some of you point me in the right direction of changing stocks, im gonna hold onto the Ruger so i might aswell give her some Pimping :D

Edi, that tactical stock is a beauty, 877grams of perfection! Your gear has "pimp" written all over it!

I love this thread, It has explained so much to me! Im looking to pimp my Ruger all Weather Hawkeye ( http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAllWeather/specSheets/7117.html ) can anyone tell me if a hogue M77 long action stock will fit it exactly the same as the origionl does, i believe they are the same except the hawkeye stock is just narrower, Looking at a Hogue full bedded block stock in OD green online,if i can get it shipped here that is, if not can some of you point me in the right direction of changing stocks, im gonna hold onto the Ruger so i might aswell give her some Pimping :D

Edi, that tactical stock is a beauty, 877grams of perfection! Your gear has "pimp" written all over it!

You will need a short action stock for the 243...

Forgot to mention im a noob still! I'm learning!

Forgot to mention im a noob still! I'm learning!

Aren`t we all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

tiny give john greene a ring he can get almost any stock you want for your ruger i have the same rifle in 223 and have gone with one of these
    http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=334907 hope this helps

• Advertisement

landkeeper wrote: »
    tiny give john greene a ring he can get almost any stock you want for your ruger i have the same rifle in 223 and have gone with one of these
    http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=334907 hope this helps

Tiny, Did you consider a Boyd stock? It is the cheapest entry level tumb hole stock?

I havent seen much of them now, do they only do timber stocks? Im fond of the green synthetic type, ive got shovel hands aswell so im not sure if a thumb hole would suit me to be honest! In saying that ive only held two before, Would ye recommend getting a stock thats bedded already like the hogue ones? Their a bit pricy alright!

I havent seen much of them now, do they only do timber stocks? Im fond of the green synthetic type, ive got shovel hands aswell so im not sure if a thumb hole would suit me to be honest! In saying that ive only held two before, Would ye recommend getting a stock thats bedded already like the hogue ones? Their a bit pricy alright!

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbhole-Replacement-Stocks-for-Remington-s/44.htm

No bedded stock will totally match your rifle, variation is natural, so getting a stock bedded IMvHO is the way forward.

You'd get the stock and bedding for around €300.
    i held one same as pic two nights ago in my hand

It sticks to your cheek like a glove.

It's not plastic though.
    mcMillan, & Bell & carlson are the best IMHO for the money, a lot of very over priced stuff.

Bell & Carlson medalist is ~€300

Nice one, i appreciate the advice! those are very reasonably priced stocks! Id nearly go for the http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ROSS-FT-RUGER-77-MKII-p/400-069-ft.htm and bed it myself, im pretty crafty so i reckon i could do it after watching that scottish guy on youtube do it, Whats the worst that can happen?!

Nice one, i appreciate the advice! those are very reasonably priced stocks! Id nearly go for the http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ROSS-FT-RUGER-77-MKII-p/400-069-ft.htm and bed it myself, im pretty crafty so i reckon i could do it after watching that scottish guy on youtube do it, Whats the worst that can happen?!

Worst that can happen you make a hoors knickers out of it :D

It can go horribly wrong if not done right.
    Just ask John Galway.;)

The stocks are a cheap start. Bedding will make it a cracker.
    Pillars and bedding will be the dogs bolix

Ha ha true that! Jesus imagine the hardship if the action stuck to the devcon....

I ordered that stock anyway, yerra why not! Il probably bring the whole lot down to john Greene and see what he can do, ive to get the rifle threaded to so it will be happy days!

Ha ha true that! Jesus imagine the hardship if the action stuck to the devcon....

I ordered that stock anyway, yerra why not! Il probably bring the whole lot down to john Greene and see what he can do, ive to get the rifle threaded to so it will be happy days!

Clivej did a good job, he might give you a hand bedding, Just a thought.

His stock was very similar to the boyd stock

The Boyds only came to $122 including shipping to Ireland, impressive!

Nice one, CliveJ did a nice job alright, smooth operator! Is devcon titanium putty sold in Ireland do you know?

Nice one, Is devcon titanium putty sold in Ireland do you know?

Yes, It's under my Remmy :D

And soon to be under my second PIMPED Remmy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Worst that can happen you make a hoors knickers out of it :D

It can go horribly wrong if not done right.
    Just ask John Galway.;)

The stocks are a cheap start. Bedding will make it a cracker.
    Pillars and bedding will be the dogs bolix

I don't think John got as far as bedding his Rem just yet

Nice one, CliveJ did a nice job alright, smooth operator! Is devcon titanium putty sold in Ireland do you know?

Tiny Nioclas give me a call anytime to talk or get info.

I used the Devcon 10110 steel putty as do a lot of the american shooters. I could not get any over here or the UK, a friend from boards.ie got some in the US for me.

Advertisement