Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my Rifle thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

I spoke to John Greene today regarding a thumb hole synthetic stock foe my CZ .22 wmr. He can get them for just about any rifle apart from the CZ. He used to carry the type in the link below but stopped because he wasn't happy with the build quality.

http://www.staffs-synthetic-stocks.co.uk/files/files/tactical%20stock.jpg

So its back to the drawing board. Anyone know of a link or supplier for CZ .22wmr stocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

crap when did he stop doing those i was saving up for him to put one on my Cz452 :(

I spoke to him on the phone yesterday. He said he isn't selling then anymore because he wasn't happy with them. But he did say you could buy one direct from Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

ezridax wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that most of it could be done "DIY".

thanks for that eri, but with my dumb ass useless fingers, i would be unwilling to try DIY myself, not very handy at home, and would not be happy trying this out on a weapon that could blow up if i did something wrong, knowing me it would blow up :eek:

will try John Greene and Fergal White

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I had one of those stocks and it was supplied by John Greene.

I would love to know why he thinks the build quality isn't good enough he couldn't praise them enough when I got mine :confused:

The lad who makes 'em has a BIG following in the UK with those stocks for those who frequent some of the UK forums.

IMHO I found NO problem with the one I had except they are a bit heavy for carrying for a bit of bunny bashing :cool:

E-mail the lad in UK I was onto him and he was willing to ship a stock to me here. I got it off John as he had it in stock at the time.

• Advertisement

I had one of those stocks and it was supplied by John Greene.

I would love to know why he thinks the build quality isn't good enough he couldn't praise them enough when I got mine :confused:

The lad who makes 'em has a BIG following in the UK with those stocks for those who frequent some of the UK forums.

IMHO I found NO problem with the one I had except they are a bit heavy for carrying for a bit of bunny bashing :cool:

E-mail the lad in UK I was onto him and he was willing to ship a stock to me here. I got it off John as he had it in stock at the time.

He found they required too muck work (~inletting I think) to fit the barrel and action. He did say that the quality went down over time. Maybe you got one of the earlier ones Bunny? They dont rank against similar stocks for howa/marlin/tikka etc according to him.

Just been advised that the SSS stock I had is for sale in Stakelums, Thurles, for €275

Just been advised that the SSS stock I had is for sale in Stakelums, Thurles, for €275

Nice one. Might pay them a visit next week if I can find the time. Thanks Bunny.

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Nice one. Might pay them a visit next week if I can find the time. Thanks Bunny.

No hassle lad I know you'll give it a good home ;)

They're on the Nenagh road as you leave Thurles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

My PIMPED VTR continued, Timney Trigger, And a little of Midlands style bedding, unusual but results speak for them selves;)
    123855.jpg

I forgot the marker, so I burned a spot on the card so i would have an aim point, 3 shots 100 yards Remington Match 168grain (it's nearly the only Ammo I have left)
    I fired hornady Soft point but groups were just Normal.
    Points to note, Rifle has only a 20" barrel and is as cheap as chips to buy!

I'm trying something new with posting pics, please bear with me, had to delete previous post as my rifle serial number was shown!

123854.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Very small group tac,who done the bedding ?

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Very small group tac,who done the bedding ?

myself and the Fig went at it last night.
    It is only a temo job until I get my Edi PSE stock.

The Remington stock recoil lug was filled with Epoxy until the barrel cleared the foreend.
    I had filed & sanded some of it away.

Then the Fig got some masking tape and affixed it to th ebarrel as a spacer.
    I left the rifle over night and tried it out this avo.

it's my smallest group to date with a .308

It was also the last of my good ammo, a few .308 Hornady soft points left, and only 6x .223rounds lol

Interesting to see if I can make a true 1 hole group.
    it might silence some of my Critics ;)

intershoot better deliver soon!

A couple of more pics of my PIMPING job

It was the cheapest free float job on record
    If i can float a cheap Remington PVC stock anyone can, just need a little time and patience.

If you fit the Timney however the Dremel had to be employed to remove some excess material to let the Timney slide in.
    Not an issue on the more expensive stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

myself and the Fig went at it last night.
    It is only a temo job until I get my Edi PSE stock.

The Remington stock recoil lug was filled with Epoxy until the barrel cleared the foreend.
    I had filed & sanded some of it away.

Then the Fig got some masking tape and affixed it to th ebarrel as a spacer.
    I left the rifle over night and tried it out this avo.

it's my smallest group to date with a .308

It was also the last of my good ammo, a few .308 Hornady soft points left, and only 6x .223rounds lol

Interesting to see if I can make a true 1 hole group.
    it might silence some of my Critics ;)

intershoot better deliver soon!
    Clever job that seems to really work well. Just goes to show what can be done with a factory rifle .Fair play to Fergal White! As for your few critics ,you could be getting the same group at 1000 yards and your prob still going to get some flack..... :rolleyes:

Clever job that seems to really work well. Just goes to show what can be done with a factory rifle .Fair play to Fergal White! As for your few critics ,you could be getting the same group at 1000 yards and your prob still going to get some flack..... :rolleyes:

TBH, a 20" should not generate the speed required to push a round out to 1000 yards, i will try for the craic though!

The rifle has had €250 spent on it still makes it the cheapest option for a starter wanting to get into the stalking game, and who likes popping the odd fox

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

My PIMPED VTR continued, Timney Trigger, And a little of Midlands style bedding, unusual but results speak for them selves;)

I forgot the marker, so I burned a spot on the card so i would have an aim point, 3 shots 100 yards Remington Match 168grain (it's nearly the only Ammo I have left)
    I fired hornady Soft point but groups were just Normal.
    Points to note, Rifle has only a 20" barrel and is as cheap as chips to buy!

I'm trying something new with posting pics, please bear with me, had to delete previous post as my rifle serial number was shown!

Nice clippin Tack. (Deleted pics from quote so as not to take up whole page.)

sikastag wrote: »
    Nice clippin Tack. (Deleted pics from quote so as not to take up whole page.)

Well i love Pimping/modifying everything to make it better

Not bad for a Cheapo Factory Rifle with factory Ammo!

Thought you were a confirmed John Greene fan ;)

Back on topic
    123920.jpg

Remmy VTR's are a pile of ****e IMHO

Now this is what I call pimping

myweapon.jpg

• Advertisement

This may be helpful on this thread

pimpin_for_dummies-12629.jpeg

Remmy VTR's are a pile of ****e IMHO

Now this is what I call pimping

myweapon.jpg

That's your opinion almost 1 hole groups @ 100 none the less is ok for shooting deer.

Out of a 20" barrel I considered it doing well

I was told the rifle was not capable of it, i must have got lucky :rolleyes:
    I seem to get lucky a lot.;)

I will Improve that group with HPS ammo next week, and i will improve the .223 also.

All on a shoe string budget
    :D

We can all shoot one hole groups if we're close enough to the target. I find shooting paper and shooting live animals to be totally different things :)

We can all shoot one hole groups if we're close enough to the target. I find shooting paper and shooting live animals to be totally different things :)

I too, I much prefer shooting animals than paper.
    I buy a batch of ammo, zero once and that is the last time I go on paper until I either get a new batch, or mod the rifle.

I enjoy cooking what I kill too
    The VTR before I went tweaking had proved itself competent
    see below, one of my nicest catches, had it for Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Are you using the mod full-time now? I take it you had the muzzle brake lopped off the end of the barrel while it was being re-crowned? Since you've lost the muzzle brake, the handling should be nice. You may find it nice enough to warrant not using the mod. I know I prefer to shoot my .25-06 without the moddy in the field, and it's much louder than a .308. Handling makes it worthwhile for me, though if and when it gets re-barrelled in .300 win mag, I reckon it'll be moderated for the majority of the time, just too loud and a little too kicky to shoot all the time. With the mod, it'll kick like a .308.

Are you using the mod full-time now? I take it you had the muzzle brake lopped off the end of the barrel while it was being re-crowned? Since you've lost the muzzle brake, the handling should be nice. You may find it nice enough to warrant not using the mod. I know I prefer to shoot my .25-06 without the moddy in the field, and it's much louder than a .308. Handling makes it worthwhile for me, though if and when it gets re-barrelled in .300 win mag, I reckon it'll be moderated for the majority of the time, just too loud and a little too kicky to shoot all the time. With the mod, it'll kick like a .308.

I use the mod full time, recoil is on a par with the .223 or similar mod on.

Rifle from chamber to action is 25" now since the break 2" was removed.

It is fun to shoot, it is light and agile, in comparison to my other rifle

It is much lighter, and no load to carry. recoil on both is mild.
    Noise is a Non-Issue with Mods on, I have too many friends with tinnitus to not want to preserve my ears.

Also in my experience, i get better groups with mod on, easier concentrate.
    123926.jpg

Excuse poor Quality pics, my camera has no batteries!

Nokia may do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's nice and short anyway. What's the mod? Looks like a Northstar or similar. I'm going to struggle to get the .300 to handle and balance well with a mod since the barrel's going to need to be at least 24".

It's nice and short anyway. What's the mod? Looks like a Northstar or similar. I'm going to struggle to get the .300 to handle and balance well with a mod since the barrel's going to need to be at least 24".

ASE Ultra on the .223

Reflex on the .308 (I got a good deal on the reflex)

TBH I prefer the ASE, But she was almost twice the price of the Reflex.

ASE make an even shorter mod than the one on my .223 now.
    1" shorter i believe

The .223 has a 26" barrel and the mod adds a few inches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

I posted a while back looking for suggestions to improve my VSSF 0.223.

Since then I've had the barrel re-crowned and it seems to have helped but not made a huge difference. Typically groups are between 0.5 and 1.25 moa but I don't seem to be getting as many flyers since the re-crown.

Next thing I'm going to try is bedding the action but I'm starting to think that this level of accuracy is as good as my particular rifle is capable of bearing in mind that it's not a target rifle.

I have plenty of used targets and if the bedding makes a difference I'll post before and after pics.

Tackleberry any chance you might post some 5 shot groups in the future?

Advertisement