Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my Rifle thread

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've deleted several posts and edited another. Because of utter nonsense. I've had words with all concerned about this before. So, next time, and I know there will be a next time, anyone who engages in this nonsense will be getting bans of no shorter than one month from me. I will be checking out nay missing posts and frankly I don't care if another mod gets to ye before I do, I will be banning after any other sanction. If you DO the goading, you'll be banned, if you REPLY to the goading you'll be banned. Some posters seem to only be here to disrupt, rise and cause trouble. Ye've had ye're warnings, this is the end of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

leupold90 wrote: »
    I posted a while back looking for suggestions to improve my VSSF 0.223.

Since then I've had the barrel re-crowned and it seems to have helped but not made a huge difference. Typically groups are between 0.5 and 1.25 moa but I don't seem to be getting as many flyers since the re-crown.

Next thing I'm going to try is bedding the action but I'm starting to think that this level of accuracy is as good as my particular rifle is capable of bearing in mind that it's not a target rifle.

I have plenty of used targets and if the bedding makes a difference I'll post before and after pics.

Tackleberry any chance you might post some 5 shot groups in the future?

no prob at all posting larger groups, restricted on ammo though, I have a few groups with hunting ammo, as previously stated, they are average

What ammo are you using in VSSF II??

There below is a 4 and 5 shot Hornady soft nose group, I currently have almost no ammo left for my .308 so until I get my HPS ammo Soft nose will have to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

I only ask about the 5 shot group size as I normally get reasonable 3 shot groups but I find 5 shot give a better indication of performance but in saying that I'm not the worls best shot.

Typically I run 50g american eagles through it, these for me give good performance for the price. Most days on the range I will shoot a group or 2 using Hornady or some other premium ammo but mainly use the american eagle.

I use HPS in .308 and find it every bit as good as other match ammo at almost half the price. I was trying to get 55g from HPS for the .223 but was told they currently don't have any of the heads in stock and won't for a while.

leupold90 wrote: »
    I only ask about the 5 shot group size as I normally get reasonable 3 shot groups but I find 5 shot give a better indication of performance but in saying that I'm not the worls best shot.

Typically I run 50g american eagles through it, these for me give good performance for the price. Most days on the range I will shoot a group or 2 using Hornady or some other premium ammo but mainly use the american eagle.

I use HPS in .308 and find it every bit as good as other match ammo at almost half the price. I was trying to get 55g from HPS for the .223 but was told they currently don't have any of the heads in stock and won't for a while.

??

he said he is bringing me some next week. 55grain .223
    I have to say if i had hornady TAP's left i would love to try them in .308

I have 6 .223 Rounds:eek:
    and 15 soft nose .308 rounds left :eek:

So I am using them on foxes(or trying to) spent 20 mins yesterday calling them but to no avail.

I sometimes shoot 5 shot groups, but you burn through ammo that way.

if she is zero I am happy, the other 2 out of the five get quarry not paper :D

I never use American eagles. Not since my .22 days.
    they came in a box of 40 not 50 if I remember which i thought was daft??

Johngalway might have some hornady 55grain non moly coated, if i am remembering correctly.

they are a bit dearer than the American eagles but every shot counts on Charlie;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Johngalway might have some hornady 55grain non moly coated, if i am remembering correctly.

I don't have any 55's, I had some 40's but returned them to the dealer as they weren't moly coated.

Clivej has some non moly 40's he may part with.

• Advertisement

All the small things, can make everything just come together

Timney Trigger, Re-crowned barrel, DIY bed job, Reflex mod.

Shooting a nice bunny before dark at a reasonable distance
    Priceless ;)
    124191.JPG

Pimped for Hunting ;)

Advertisement