Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Proposal to rename Dublin Airport - "Lemass Airport"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Renaming Dublin Airport after a politician is a crazy idea in my opinion. As MYOB said, if Weston ever became a more important airport then you could rename Dublin Airport as Dublin Collinstown and rename Weston as Dublin Weston.

Zoney wrote: »
    That makes no sense for international visitors. The River Shannon is a not insignificant length and so it is not immediately obvious to visitors where the airport is.

At the very least, calling it Limerick Shannon Airport would be more helpful and better marketing for Limerick city and the Midwest region (as opposed to a small insignificant New Town and the entire length of the river, most of which isn't really in the airport cachement area).
    limklad wrote: »
    Shannon region is a far bigger region than just Limerick City.
    Attaching Limerick to Shannon Airport will never ever rise Limerick Marketing. Only Us Limerick people can do that.
    Next thing You probably mention that the City Councillors will try to annex Shannon Airport next!!!

I have Talk to many Foreigners in many countries over the years even to people who have never left their country. When I say I am from Limerick, They bring up "Angela's ashes" or "Stab city". "Does it always rain in Limerick? like the book says" they say to me. Even a Turkish immigration officer brought up when he saw Limerick on my Passport, had a similar question when I was half asleep trying to get through.

I mentioned that I am flying back to "Shannon Airport". They the whole mention the various the counties from Mayo, Galway, Limerick to Kerry & Tipperary and start quiz me on them.

For the Airport sake AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT KEPT OPEN, I keep Limerick as far as away from Shannon Airport name. Otherwise it would kill it for sure.

Edit: Limerick City already got an airport. It call "Coonagh Airfield". The City Annex it from the County. You can rename that

At the very least, I would like Shannon Airport to be renamed as Limerick Airport. Although, when the the M18 reaches Galway in 3 years time I would consider Shannon Airport to be a local airport for Galway also (in terms of journey time) so I quite like the idea of 'Limerick-Galway Airport' similar to 'Leeds-Bradford' or 'Doncaster-Sheffield'. Galway probably had more tourists during the one single week of Volvo Ocean Race than Shannon town has had in the last few years (no offence to Shannon town but it's never going to attract a significant amount of visitors like Galway or Limerick can).

Something like 9 airports have 'London' in their name, some of these are quite a distance from London (I think Oxford Airport recently changed its name to London Oxford). There's only one reason why these airports want to have 'London' in their name - it will attract more passengers to their airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

There's already a Galway International Airport. Having A Galway-Limerick-Shannon International Airport as well would just confuse the hell out of people.

As for Ireland West Airport Knock :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

KevR wrote: »
    At the very least, I would like Shannon Airport to be renamed as Limerick Airport.

Shannon is known around the world as the last stop airport before america, also historically one of the first to ever have a duty free and one of the oldest airports in Europe etc. It's very well known around the world as a europe into USA airport. Renaming it to Limerick would cause unnecessary confusion and to what end ? Just to give limerick a more positive profile ? My vote would definitely be to keep shannon as it is. There have been multiple decades gone into building up it's name and reputation globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

scudzilla wrote: »
    How does "Stephen Gately International Airport" sound :rolleyes::rolleyes:

" I'll be late home luv, I got stuck in Gately"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Regarding Shannon, well I've no problems with its current name, however if it must be named surely something like "Mid-West airport" would be most accurate geographic term instead of some sorta "limerick-clare-galway international airport" mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Dublin Airport was named after a politician, and they changed it. It was called Collinstown Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

This is a silly season story. With all due respect to Sean Lemass. He is unknown outside of Ireland and hardly a DeGaulle or a Ronald Reagan. Silly stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Dublin Airport was named after a politician, and they changed it. It was called Collinstown Airport.

Pretty sure the area came before the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

They did this to thee train stations in 66, we don't need the airports named after any political or republican from the 20's.

If I was going to name an Airport it would be called Rory Gallagher. Cork will probably want that.

But in general, keep politicians away from naming important pieces of infrastructure after their old buddies.

It is surely up to the Airport itself, is it not?

noelfirl wrote: »
    Pretty sure the area came before the man.

Indeed, Dublin aiport was built during the 1930's. The runway became operational in early 1940 (though terminal wasn't finished let). This was during FiannaFail's 15years in power.

My dad has a book at home from 1990 celebrating the 50th anniversary of the airport, it's a good read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think Collinstown was named after anyone who lived in recent centuries...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Paddy Finucane Airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dowlingm wrote: »

The Irish honouring a fellow Irishman who joined the british military? You must be new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There was a certain tongue in cheek aspect. Also not sure how the local Lufthansa reps would take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There was a certain tongue in cheek aspect. Also not sure how the local Lufthansa reps would take it!

From my experience you would have more problem with Aer Lingus reps than you would from Lufthansa.

Obviously you know lots of people from Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Phil Lynott International Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That has nothing to do with any politician called Collins. Well not in the last 100 years anyway
    Are you from Swords right? I would have thought you'd know the area being a local.

It was originally called Collinstown Aerodrome and then it became an airport.
    Collinstown is the name of the area, probably hundreds of years old at this stage.

That has nothing to do with any politician called Collins. Well not in the last 100 years anyway
    Are you from Swords right? I would have thought you'd know the area being a local.

It was originally called Collinstown Aerodrome and then it became an airport.
    Collinstown is the name of the area, probably hundreds of years old at this stage.

Well also the fact that the airport was constructed by FF government under DeV makes his statement even more farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well also the fact that the airport was constructed by FF government under DeV makes his statement even more farcical.

This comment abut Collinstown was probably made jokingly. This OP probably knew all along that Collinstown was the name of the area.:)

Munich Airport's has an official name. In the local villages it is sometimes called The colossus on Erdinger moor. Erdinger moor is where it was built. Or just: der Koloß am Moos. Moos=Moor.

Old names last a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    [/QUOTE]

who wrote that article, not tribal, FFS the man was hated in his OWN party outside of the urban centres - once he got control of the country and Dev was gone. Lemass and your man TK Whitaker changed Ireland completely!

This is the man that reduced Ireland dependence on agriculture, boosted our industrial/financial base - in doing so attracting people AWAY from the countryside - not popular in many parts - this modernisation crack.
    This is a man that campaigned for years and years before 1973 to get Ireland into the EEC to boost our trade , against arguments put forward by the farming and fisheries lobby, not to mention others scared of the difference in moral beliefs these foreigners might try to bring to Ireland. This is the man that reversed a lot the policies brought in by DeValera.
    He also was not in favour of the Church being so strong in Ireland, especially university level - anyone remember the row over UCD.
    But these policies were completely against the grain in rural Ireland - many in rural Ireland might even argue it if wasn't for him, we might all be happy living off the land and we would not have had the crazy property bubble.

Its funny to hear someone call him a typical FFer above, Cosgrave said of Lemass, he was more suited to FG than FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Lemass was Charlie Haughey's father-in-law - reason enough not to name anything after him except perhaps the Ringsend Sewerage Works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Lemass was Charlie Haughey's father-in-law - reason enough not to name anything after him except perhaps the Ringsend Sewerage Works.

ROFL - haughey's not even a blood relation!
    Its one thing blaming his daughter for that disasterous decision, but to blame her father.....thats rough Judgement Day! But I know the point you're making, its like that argument about any crime that teenager commit such as vandalism, the parents should pay the price for that crime. I think many people would agree with you there.

I for one agree with an earlier poster, we should simply reinstate Collinstown as the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Congrats on hitting the big 1,000 it's all downhill from now on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 anto475

sure what does it matter?
    people are gonna pass through it into and out of ireland on a daily basis and even if we call it Cromwell Airport or Cowen International, no one's really going to care. stop making this out to be the renaming of heathrow or jfk or frankfurt. it's ireland ffs. we'd probably get more passengers if we called it ,,the original landing site of the leprechauns in the year 2000 BC".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

anto475 wrote: »
    we'd probably get more passengers if we called it ,,the original landing site of the leprechauns in the year 2000 BC".

Quite possibly :p, but we're not.

We're proposing to name it after a FF politician that nearly nobody outside of Ireland has heard of.

As I said before, there's far more appropriate ways to honour someone's legacy than a silly re-branding exercise, the sole function of which is to satisfy the whims of a collection of FF apes and their blind followers.

Now that said, perhaps there are those out there who feel there is a genuine merit in the proposal, and that's fair enough. But all I've seen so far is the usual paper-thin nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 anto475

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Quite possibly :p, but we're not.

We're proposing to name it after a FF politician that nearly nobody outside of Ireland has heard of.

As I said before, there's far more appropriate ways to honour someone's legacy than a silly re-branding exercise, the sole function of which is to satisfy the whims of a collection of FF apes and their blind followers.

Now that said, perhaps there are those out there who feel there is a genuine merit in the proposal, and that's fair enough. But all I've seen so far is the usual paper-thin nationalism.
    no, we're proposing to name it after a former taoiseach. stop being so partisan, we're not america. then again, i agree with what you're saying, but perhaps the idea just happened to have come from the FF camp, because FG have been in opposition for too long now and they're beginning to get blinded.

and to be frank, i can't see any merits in renaming it anything really. people will still call it dublin airport just as they call it paris airport and the point and landsdowne road and the pictures.

also, just on a smaller point, what does it matter if people have never heard of him outside of the country? surely all that matters is that it's someone we're proud of or someone that's brought us something good. if you want to call it after someone that the rest of the world knows, then call it bono or michael flatley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

anto475 wrote: »
    no, we're proposing to name it after a former taoiseach.

Was Sean Lemass not a FF politician?
    stop being so partisan, we're not america.

I'm not the one being partisan. I merely pointed out he was FF. Why? Because I wouldn't put it past FF to be partisan, considering nearly every action they take is for the benefit of themselves. If they wanted to honour his legacy, they should've done what many people credit Lemass with doing - run the country half-decently. This is just empty token nationalism. But people buy into it very easily.

To me, I guess it seems far more fitting to say "let's try to run this country properly" in honour of Lemass than "let's waste money of a pointless vanity re-branding exercise when we're broke". But clearly I don't see things the same way as FF and whoever from FG, Lab, SF etc. supports this silly idea.
    also, just on a smaller point, what does it matter if people have never heard of him outside of the country? surely all that matters is that it's someone we're proud of or someone that's brought us something good. if you want to call it after someone that the rest of the world knows, then call it bono or michael flatley

If it was worth the expense of re-branding the airport, then sure.

But I wasn't the one who brought up how many passengers a name would attract though, you were. :)
    we'd probably get more passengers if we called it ,,the original landing site of the leprechauns in the year 2000 BC".

If we did have to re-name an airport, of course how well known internationally the person is would not be the highest up on the criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

IF the airport is going to be renamed ( but I do not think it should be ) why not name it after the man who put forward the policies to open up the economy which Lemass then helped implement. The man in question is 93 years old and should be considered a hero. T.K. Whitaker Airport ! Politicians should have nothing named after them. At all.

Advertisement