Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Proposal to rename Dublin Airport - "Lemass Airport"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Can we just rename it as "Aerfort Blath Cliath" ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dubhthach wrote: »

That would be really helpful for the tourists and foreign businessmen that we want to come to our shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Sure. Just as soon as we've established that that's what most people want to call it. Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Catchy - even most Irish people won't be able to pronounce it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I'm strongly opposed to naming bits of infrastructure after various FF leaders, it makes our country look like a banana republic (which to be fair it is kind of).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Catchy - even most Irish people won't be able to pronounce it. :rolleyes:

Obviously I should have included sarcasm tags. :rolleyes: In general I think Airports should be left with their geographic name (which is what the above is in vernacular irish). The only need for using another name is when a location is served by more then one airport. If this ever happens in Dublin then we can have "Dublin Collinstown" and "Dublin Baldonnell" etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm strongly opposed to naming bits of infrastructure after various FF leaders, it makes our country look like a banana republic (which to be fair it is kind of).

I'm also against naming critical infrastructure after individuals. The Jack Lynch Tunnel should be called the Lee Tunnel....because it goes under the Lee. I think infrastructure should be named alphanumerically (e.g. N24) or geographically (e.g. Dublin Airport). If people want to honour someone, then they should erect a statue, open a museum, or re-name a street instead.

Advertisement