Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LaserJet Lifespan

• 12-07-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Anyone know the lifespan of the LaserJet 4350 printers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

They can last for years. We have some and they are in use for about 5 years and they get a lot of use.

Are you looking at buying one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    They can last for years. We have some and they are in use for about 5 years and they get a lot of use.

Are you looking at buying one?

No, we have about 8 of them here. Had an engineer on site saying that it was almost end of life and to shell out for a new printer. Its 3 years old and has 1.1 million pages done. Doesnt seem too much really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

chec k it out on HP's site

IIRC you have to buy a maintenance kit every 200,000 pages and that is a huge chunk of the price of the printer, add in photo conductor costs and you'll find that TCO has very little to do with initial purchase price.

it's doesn;t really matter what the life of the printer is since you will be spending enough on consumables to easily cover the cost of a new one during it's lifetime

Moving thread as it has nothing to do with windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

No, we have about 8 of them here. Had an engineer on site saying that it was almost end of life and to shell out for a new printer. Its 3 years old and has 1.1 million pages done. Doesnt seem too much really.

They will last a lot longer than that. The ones we have here print off a few thousand pages a day. Obviously they have had a lot of maintenance kits and fuser units replaced so as Capt'n Midnight said you have to take that into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think a few here got up to some stupid figures. As said above, everything on the printer can be ordered and replaced. The printer should only reach end of life when parts are no longer available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1.1 million pages :eek:

At 1c per mono page that's €11,000 - and you aren't getting close to 1c per page

sit down and work out how much you've spent on these 8 printers over the last three years, including service calls , toners , parts - ignore paper for the moment

now add up the number of pages logged on the printers and use 1c per page as a rule of thumb as a price for getting in a few high volume printer/copier/scanners - difference could probably have paid for someone's wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Printers are manufactured and given an "end of life" figure of x years or x amount of prints. Just because a printer is end of life as far as the manual says it doesn't mean it will stop working or that the quality will diminish. What it does generally mean is you can no longer extend the warranty on them with the manufacturer and parts may stop being manufactured, although with any popular printer they won't stop making parts for a loooonnngg time after the "end of life".

If the printers working fine and you don't want it replaced then keep on doing what you're doing until it costs more to fix than replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

1.1 million pages :eek:

At 1c per mono page that's €11,000 - and you aren't getting close to 1c per page

sit down and work out how much you've spent on these 8 printers over the last three years, including service calls , toners , parts - ignore paper for the moment

now add up the number of pages logged on the printers and use 1c per page as a rule of thumb as a price for getting in a few high volume printer/copier/scanners - difference could probably have paid for someone's wages

Trust me Capt'n Ive done that already. Been arguing for MFD's for the last few years. Its like banging my head against a wall!!!
    At 250 a pop per maintenance kit and 8 of these babies in the office, its not long before the cost goes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Trust me Capt'n Ive done that already. Been arguing for MFD's for the last few years. Its like banging my head against a wall!!!
    At 250 a pop per maintenance kit and 8 of these babies in the office, its not long before the cost goes up.

MFD's can save a lot, especially with "scan to" functions and network faxing. I don't know how offices aren't using drasticly less paper, but where ever I work I still have to print off so much crap that could be done and saved on a server. Some kind of digital signature system would be easy enough when needed.

Saying that, I do work for a printer manufacturer so keep on printing folks! I need my job.

Advertisement