Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 9 - Tuesday, July 13 2010, Morzine-Avoriaz - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

what a ride by Contador and Schleck. wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

NickDrake wrote: »
    Casar has it in the bag
    Cheers for that tip, stuck a tenner on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Dodge wrote: »
    Agreed amazing effort to catch them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

GC will make for interesting reading when everyone has finally dragged their sorry arses over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Fantastic finish,

Fair play to Casar, would have been a killer if one of the three chasers had taken it.

Wonder what the top ten will be, apart from Contador and Schlek its very open after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Proved to be a killer stage in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Well done to Andy! He rides so well, he thoroughly deserves the yellow jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Schleck was impressive for a guy who can't time trial :)

Wonder what the top ten will be, apart from Contador and Schlek its very open after that.

1. SCHLECK Andy
    2. CONTADOR Alberto + 00' 41"
    3. SANCHEZ Samuel + 02' 45"
    4. MENCHOV Denis + 02' 58"
    5. VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen + 03' 31"
    6. LEIPHEIMER Levi " + 03' 59"
    7. GESINK Robert + 04' 22"
    8. SANCHEZ Luis-Leon + 04' 41"
    9. RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin + 05' 08"
    10. BASSO Ivan + 05' 09"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Luis21 wrote: »
    I had such high hopes for him, ah well.

are you english?

• Advertisement

Roche finished 25th on the stage 4.55 down in a group with wiggins, sastre, rogers and others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

who is the youngest rider to ever have won the TDF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Casar : "[I wasn't] going to go doing a Poulidor"

Bit harsh -

Poulidor has won more stages in Le Tour than Casar has won races of any description.

http://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/RIDERS/us/coureurs/62.html

http://www.letour.fr/HISTO/us/TDF/coureur/3699.html

Bert I think has that

going to guess Ulrich before I run off to google :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Seeing Evans breaking down at end only adds to my huge huge respect for the man....

SomeFool wrote: »
    going to guess Ulrich before I run off to google :)

oh yeah! forgot about him, so yesterday :p

WIKI
    The youngest Tour de France winner was Henri Cornet, aged 19 in 1904. Next youngest was Romain Maes, 21 in 1935.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have to take my hat off to Wiggins. Struck gold last year when a fluke placing engendered the near hysteria across the pond that secured a big money move to Sky.
    From a salary point of view I respect that. A tru pro knows when to maximise his worth.

Here is the thing, I predict pretty confidently that he will not place in a road race between now and career end.

Last few days have shown Wiggo what Grand Tour racing is all about, and despite the hype he is not at the business end of things.

After today the tour has taken a more predictable look in the top10.

Roche finished 25th on the stage 4.55 down in a group with wiggins, sastre, rogers and others
    not bad really. he is improving year on year

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have to take my hat off to Wiggins. Struck gold last year when a fluke placing engendered the near hysteria across the pond that secured a big money move to Sky.
    From a salary point of view I respect that. A tru pro knows when to maximise his worth.

Here is the thing, I predict pretty confidently that he will not place in a road race between now and career end.

Last few days have shown Wiggo what Grand Tour racing is all about, and despite the hype he is not at the business end of things.

After today the tour has taken a more predictable look in the top10.

Can you fluke a 4th place in a Grand Tour? In fairness he climbed very well last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Seeing Evans breaking down at end only adds to my huge huge respect for the man....

Oh totally agree. Just shows how tough it is to do it clean. He looked destroyed

Casar as I said

doccy wrote: »
    Can you fluke a 4th place in a Grand Tour? In fairness he climbed very well last year.

While by no means am I trying to discredit his excellent 4th place, the race last year was set up for him. Far less climbing than usual.

I don't think you can fluke as high a placing as that, but I didn't expect him to repeat it this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

The youngest Tour de France winner was Henri Cornet, aged 19 in 1904. Next youngest was Romain Maes, 21 in 1935.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Oh totally agree. Just shows how tough it is to do it clean. He looked destroyed

Casar as I said

Evans has worked with Ferrari so wouldn't be confident that he is clean myself.

thereturn wrote: »

Did he? Didnt know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've never been a fan of the Schlecks, but Andy was hugely impressive today. He looked like he could have attacked Contador more today, and I'm not at all convinced that Alberto could have responded. If the finishline had been at the top of the hill I think he could have taken more time, with a long descent he seemed to know it was better to keep company and wait for another day.

His descending was ugly and awkward looking, but he definitely going faster than he used to - at times it looked like Contador was having to dig to close up coming out of the corners. The fact that Sanchez didn't cruise up to them and pass them proves they were going well.

Feel very sorry for Evans. I'll be very interested to hear what he has to say about what happened today - he's usually very honest about himself.
    Just shows how tough it is to do it clean.

Do you actually enjoy watching cycling? or are you just really fond of being angry?

when people say this sort of stuff they usually say it separating the pre war (II) years and the rest, cyclig was 'different' post war..apparently.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Do you actually enjoy watching cycling? or are you just really fond of being angry?

Where is the anger? I love cycling. I hate the doping in it. Pretty much the view of most people.

I just do a lot of research into doping and I know the ins and outs and who does what and when.

• Advertisement

Did he? Didnt know that.

Yeah link to discussion about it here.http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-415862.html
    Would be confident most of guys and French teams and Garmin are clean.Not so sure about others and then there are obvious dopers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I just do a lot of research into doping and I know the ins and outs and who does what and when.

In that case there's no time to waste! - quickly, off to WADA and the UCI with you - flush out the cheats and clean up our sport once and for all!

Are you Floyd Landis? You can tell us, really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Isn't Rob Hayles unintentionally hilarious? He's a Ricky Gervais character.
    Where is the anger? I love cycling. I hate the doping in it. Pretty much the view of most people.

Did he? Didnt know that.

Consistency is clearly not your strong point. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Nick. Please contact the UCI forthwith, they really need a person with you skills.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    In that case there's no time to waste! - quickly, off to WADA and the UCI with you - flush out the cheats and clean up our sport once and for all!

Are you Floyd Landis? You can tell us, really...

Ha ha no need to be a dick. The sport will never be cleaned up

Isn't Rob Hayles unintentionally hilarious? He's a Ricky Gervais character.

Consistency is clearly not your strong point. Fair enough.

Smart boy. That story makes no sense and is pure rubbish. Cadel is not implicated with Ferrari from what I have read.

I see a few regular posters geeting annoyed someone is posting on their thread. Get over it and leave off the insults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Consistency is clearly not your strong point.

Consistency, pah!

One should never feel inhibited in frequently throwing out absolutes by such a minor detail ;)

I've never been a fan of the Schlecks, but Andy was hugely impressive today. He looked like he could have attacked Contador more today, and I'm not at all convinced that Alberto could have responded. If the finishline had been at the top of the hill I think he could have taken more time, with a long descent he seemed to know it was better to keep company and wait for another day.?

Agreed he looks a miles better rider in this tour, I think a big part of it is confidence. I think he actually believes he can take Contador this year.

I hate to pose the question but do you think he is clean? Just he looked awful fresh the last day and there is the whole frank making payments for training plans thing in the past.
    His descending was ugly and awkward looking, but he definitely going faster than he used to - at times it looked like Contador was having to dig to close up coming out of the corners. The fact that Sanchez didn't cruise up to them and pass them proves they were going well..?

It was definitely markedly faster than ever before, he had contador sprinting out of corners. it is ugly but more effective
    Feel very sorry for Evans. I'll be very interested to hear what he has to say about what happened today - he's usually very honest about himself.

Would be interested to hear myself, might just be a hard season taking its toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Roche up to 17th, 7 min 44 sec behind Schleck, not too bad!!
    Evans is 18th, just shows how much time he lost!

Would be confident most of guys and French teams and Garmin are clean.Not so sure about others and then there are obvious dopers.

Stab in the dark maybe but i'm going to guess that Footon-Servetto are clean too :)

Maybe drop the UCI a line cause they dont even know.

Wow you do some reading, arent you great. so do most people on here. You know no more than most.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »

It was definitely markedly faster than ever before, he had contador sprinting out of corners. it is ugly but more effective

He was powerful but still awkward. I still think Contador suffered big time today.

Smart boy. That story makes no sense and is pure rubbish. Cadel is not implicated with Ferrari from what I have read

From what I have read he said he was working with him for 'training purposes'.Link to article on it doesn't seem to work other than discussions about it.To be honest though fact that himself and Armstrong seem to be mates would make me less confident that he is clean.

twitter saying that Cadel raced with a fractured elbow today

Ha ha no need to be a dick. The sport will never be cleaned up

Not if you keep quite!

But you know all the who's, what's, when's and presumably also the where's. For you the jumbled jigsaw of the doping underworld is a vista you can survey with absolute clarity, it would quite frankly be unethical to keep schtum on all this when you could change so much

Not if you keep quite!

But you know all the who's, what's, when's and presumably also the where's. For you the jumbled jigsaw of the doping underworld is a vista you can survey with absolute clarity, it would quite frankly be unethical to keep schtum on all this when you could change so much

Oh you are hilarious!! How long did it take you to think up that response?

See you on the road someday and you will feel the burn when I destroy you

joker77 wrote: »
    twitter saying that Cadel raced with a fractured elbow today

I was wondering what that blue stuff on his arm was for, that's tough going!!

Cheers for that little nugget! :D

Maybe just stop being so self righteous and condescending and make some valid arguements and people might take you a little more serious

I was wondering what that blue stuff on his arm was for, that's tough going!!

Cheers for that little nugget! :D
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :D

I didn't hear the eurosport commentary mention it at all, unless I missed it there?

[Shakes head]

Nicky, Nick, Nick, Nick....

How will the UCI take you seriously when you come out with stuff like this?

Hang on, I know what's going on here.

This is a re-reg of TimAllen/Fencer isn't it? You're not Floyd Landis at all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement