Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 9 - Tuesday, July 13 2010, Morzine-Avoriaz - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

NickDrake wrote: »
    Oh you are hilarious!! How long did it take you to think up that response?

See you on the road someday and you will feel the burn when I destroy you

LMAO. Thems fighting words.
    Do we have another challenge.
    @CHE. You have to pick up the gauntlet man.

Race Race Race Race

Oh this is so like being in the school playground all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

joker77 wrote: »
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :D

I didn't hear the eurosport commentary mention it at all, unless I missed it there?

No, no sarcasm at all, just didn't know what it was for and wouldn't be a twitter user to ever have found out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

ROK ON wrote: »
    LMAO. Thems fighting words.
    Do we have another challenge.
    @CHE. You have to pick up the gauntlet man.

Race Race Race Race

Oh this is so like being in the school playground all over again.

As long as this Che guy doesn't have the help of a doctor with a name like a sports car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

During the world cup the soccer forum had a thread entitled "I can’t stand the vuvuzelas" or something similar. It was a thread where people could vent their annoyance and frustrations without clogging up the main match day discussions. Can we have something similar here with doping? So many irrelevant posts just stick to the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

c0rk3r wrote: »
    During the world cup the soccer forum had a thread entitled "I can’t stand the vuvuzelas" or something similar. It was a thread where people could vent their annoyance and frustrations without clogging up the main match day discussions. Can we have something similar here with doping? So many irrelevant posts just stick to the race.
    There's a few posts like that already.

It's up to the Mods to step in, warn and then ban people for off topic discussions, as per what happens in the soccer forum, when threads get derailled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It'll be a sad day indeed when a thread in this forum stays completely on-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

There's a few posts like that already.

It's up to the Mods to step in, warn and then ban people for off topic discussions, as per what happens in the soccer forum, when threads get derailled

Ban them for going off topic? Bit harsh. And The regulars (CHE , ROK on) I was taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Not saying I agree with it, just saying that's what happens if there's an appetite for it, it's all down to the modding

I'd love to know what % of the peloton got a refill yesterday. A large number by the looks of it. Contador and Schleck? Surely nobody could really believe those guys are clean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Maybe just stop being so self righteous and condescending and make some valid arguements and people might take you a little more serious

where was I not being valid by mentioning potential doping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I was going to say a sub forum for doping, but having heard the forum types which have been turned down already Im not holding my breath for that one...maybe a stickied thread of DOPING while the tour is running :confused:, it gets old, really old really quick. You dont know ****, you never will, treat riders as either all clean [and dont speculate] or all durty...and move on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

doccy wrote: »
    Can you fluke a 4th place in a Grand Tour? In fairness he climbed very well last year.

i think contador not being allowed to attack and andy waiting for frank helped ..... a lot
    ROK ON wrote: »

Here is the thing, I predict pretty confidently that he will not place in a road race between now and career end.

Last few days have shown Wiggo what Grand Tour racing is all about, and despite the hype he is not at the business end of things.

i agree

i actually thought sky were mad chasing him, i actually think sky has a problem with its management form the track as their they found a formula - put out x watts for x mins and your likely to win
    road racing is hugely different wiggins was saying the no's were right after the prologue, well i guess theree my be a bit more to it

it reminds me of toyota coming into F1 and wanting to win a world championship in 3 years never even won a race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

twitter saying that Cadel raced with a fractured elbow today

I heard Phil Liggit say after stage 8 that Evan had had alot of Good luck! I think he meant in contrast to Armstrong, - there was me thinking wasn't Evan in the same crash as Armstrong? (Armstrongs two other shashes were minor/self inflicted.)

Used to like Ligget, still do. But I think his comentry is going out to the US so any thing he says is coloured by that.

i think contador not being allowed to attack and andy waiting for frank helped ..... a lot

For real? Contador attacked on the first summit finish if i'm not mistaken. This time last year, I think people were casting aspirations on Contadors climbing ability (LA, Lemond).
    Personally I've no axe to grind but I thing its a bit much to say anyone fluked probably a lifetime best of 4th in a Grand Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Nico not doing too badly despite suffering.
    If you had said to him before the tour that after going through the Alps he'd be in the top 20, within a minute of Rogers, Sastre and Wiggins and ahead of Armstrong and Evans I reckon he'd have snapped your hand off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fenrir

Ive been lurking on this forum a long time but i thought people might like
    these photos of Nicholas looking relaxed before the start in Morzine this morning

th_38348_DSCN0350_122_560lo.JPGth_38351_DSCN0352_122_231lo.JPGth_38354_DSCN0353_122_1179lo.JPGth_38357_DSCN0354_122_514lo.JPG

Sorry if i am derailing from the doping discussion
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

thereturn wrote: »
    Evans has worked with Ferrari so wouldn't be confident that he is clean myself.
    I wouldn't be so sure he has. That article has since been taken down. There is no other mention of him working with Ferrari, except in links to that article. If he had been, it would be all over forums. I'm reading now that he has denied working with him.

Evans works with Aldo Sassi who was part of the Ferrai/Conconi team when they doped Moser in his hour record attempts. Sassi is apparently more ethical than the other two.

Thats not to say Evans is clean though, but I'll delude myself a little longer. He also has the Tom Boonen seal of approval: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen-calls-for-lifetime-suspensions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

fenrir wrote: »
    Ive been lurking on this forum a long time but i thought people might like
    these photos of Nicholas looking relaxed before the start in Morzine this morning

th_38348_DSCN0350_122_560lo.JPGth_38351_DSCN0352_122_231lo.JPGth_38354_DSCN0353_122_1179lo.JPGth_38357_DSCN0354_122_514lo.JPG

Sorry if i am derailing from the doping discussion
    :D

Like that jersey a lot. Where can it be got at what price? thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fractured-elbow-shatters-tour-hopes-for-evans

That explains things a bit.
    Evans rode today with a fractured elbow.
    Intends to continue as well.
    Tough cookie ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

I said i'd drop into the forum and read the stage events, hard to pick out the stage posts with all the off topic posts. Most of which has been discussed over and over again.

pffft, you don't pedal with your elbows. Joke.

Sean Kelly was saying on eurosport that it looked like his gearing was too tough. Kelly also said the same thing during the Giro as Basso dropped him. I wonder would he benefit from easier gearing and a higher cadence, particularly today with a fractured elbow. He seems to have to get out of the saddle more than the others.... Anyways, I'm sure Cadel knows better than me whats suits him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

alibabba wrote: »
    I said i'd drop into the forum and read the stage events, hard to pick out the stage posts with all the off topic posts. Most of which has been discussed over and over again.

Such is the nature of internet forums, you can get a full uninterrupted report from the likes of eurosport here.

Fractured Elbow is a killer, but Evans cracked due to the pace. I mean he went backwards when things exploded same as everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

roche didnt do too bad today, well, he did alot better than "too bad" imo

as someone else said, he's within a minute of sastre and wiggins, and according to everyone involved in cycling, them 2 are grand tour contenders

i think Roche is doing himself proud, seeing as its only his first real forray into the GC contending category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fractured Elbow is a killer, but Evans cracked due to the pace. I mean he went backwards when things exploded same as everyone else.

Haven't seen the stage yet, but if he wasn't injured, I'd doubt he wouldn't have been with the Levi and Menchov group.

titan18 wrote: »
    Haven't seen the stage yet, but if he wasn't injured, I'd doubt he wouldn't have been with the Levi and Menchov group.

For what it's worth I disagree. I predicted before todays stage that Evans would lose out today. Not claiming any particular brilliance on my part, but for me he was close to cracking the previous mountain stage.
    Its a shame it already looks like a two horse race. I'd have loved to have seen five or six riders still in with a chance after the Alps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Cape Clear wrote: »

I love the jersey as well bu those sorts are just mankey! Actually even Nico said it in his first indo piece.

Anyway back on topic. I think the problem with Evans today was that he could really move his upper body much so when the hills got tough he could barely move his arm which didn't help his position on the bike. Its a bit much to say he was simply dropped end of. As someone on here said before he is probably the only rider in recent times to do with WC jersey justice.

On the Nico watch he is doing himself and the team proud. As he said himself nobody was looking at him coming into the tour and for the first week. This time last year he was about 50th or so if I'm not mistaken so he is doing fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Cape Clear wrote: »

here you go bud

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

For what it's worth I disagree. I predicted before todays stage that Evans would lose out today. Not claiming any particular brilliance on my part, but for me he was close to cracking the previous mountain stage.
    Its a shame it already looks like a two horse race. I'd have loved to have seen five or six riders still in with a chance after the Alps.

Without wanting to state the obvious he had actually broken the elbow earlier that day.
    I broke mine in 2005 in a race. 4 weeks off the bike and then could only cycle 20mins holding onto the bars. One handed cycling and TDF alpine stages don't really mix well.
    I think the fact that he didn't stay with Wiggo or Roche or catch them on the descent shows it played a big part in his downfall today.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

the winter bib tights look good,might get a pair to replace the ****e perl izumi's i brought back.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Without wanting to state the obvious he had actually broken the elbow earlier that day.
    I broke mine in 2005 in a race. 4 weeks off the bike and then could only cycle 20mins holding onto the bars. One handed cycling and TDF alpine stages don't really mix well.
    I think the fact that he didn't stay with Wiggo or Roche or catch them on the descent shows it played a big part in his downfall today.

Fair enough but he didn't lose time that day, he lost time today. And he also made back 1 min and a half back on the descent on Contador and Schleck.
    Sure, if his elbow is gone or if he had to ride up the mountain with one arm, I can admit I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Eurosport confirm the story anywho. It's stories like these which underline the epic nature of the sport.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Two horse race now, with the advantage to Contador. The interesting question will be how they both ride in the third week. Will Contador peak later than Schleck? Or is Schleck just stronger on the mountains this year full stop? Either way, I'm sure Alberto is happy enough for Schleck to attack away in the Alps as long as he can stay near him. The more Schleck wears himself out trying to get a gap, the more likely Contador will be able to put him to the sword next week.

That's not to say Schleck is riding a bad race. He's playing the cards he's been dealt and has to come out swinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

eurosport ahd a quick interview with Contador last night (outside the Astana bus)

He said that after himself and Schleck had tried to attack each other 2/3 times, they decided to work together to put time into their rivals. I think Contador is happy enugh not to be in yellow yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'd kinda like armstrong to win one stage, go out with a bang. won't happen though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I was also hoping to see Armstrong go out with a bang and but he's still hanging on in there despite three bangs on Sunday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Cadel also has the Lemond seal of approval:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/blogs/article/talking-tour-with-greg-lemond-17369

sorry for the thread resurrection.

Advertisement