Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is instant dismissal allowed?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am a student and got a job in a shop. I have worked there for 12 weeks, never been late, have never had any complaints and done my job properly. On Saturday I saw I was not on the roster for next week and I asked "why not?"

I was then told I am being let go because the shop was so quiet. As far as I know I am the only person to be let go.

I was never given terms and conditions of employment, but I would have at least expected 1 weeks notice? I only worked 20 hours a week also.

Is there anything I can do against my former employer over this as I feel very wrong done by.

If somebody can give me some advice, please do.

Thanks for reading this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Do you know exactly when you started?

I think 12 weeks is the key here. Anyone starting a job is effectively on trial for 13 weeks.

In this time, you can be let go without a reason, or notice. If this happens, you are entitled to payment for all work done, plus holiday money at 8% of hours worked.

I will look it up, buy am fairly sure its legit.

This is a link to the relevant employment rights page at NERA.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployers/minimumnotice/

I think you could be out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

previous poster is spot on.

Unfortunately you have no comeback on this.

Looking at the timing I woudl guess your employeris well aware of his rights and scheduled it in exactly.

However if when you include any holidays you are owed and it takes it over 13 weeks then you are entitled to a weeks notice but he can still lay you off without having to give a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advise, so they owe me 8% of what I have been paid in holiday pay?

I though an employer is supposed to give me terms and conditions of employment after 2 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seems like your employer knew exactly what they were doing since you were there 12 weeks.
    Yes, you are entitled to 8% for holiday pay

Information on the contract here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/contracts-of-employment/contract_of_employment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

He should have given you terms and conditions but all this is in the law anyways.Only you are under 13 weeks you can be let go without any reason or notice period.

As already mentionned you are definately entitled to your 8% holiday pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the help guys. Very annoyed because I left another job where I was safe to join this mob.

If they dont pay the 8% holiday pay, what can I do?

Sarah1980 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. Very annoyed because I left another job where I was safe to join this mob.

If they dont pay the 8% holiday pay, what can I do?

Complain to Nera - but dont hold your breath.

They are out the door and snowed under.

Advertisement