Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disc brakes vs traditional brakes

• 12-07-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I have a mountain bike that was bought for me in Halfords about
    2years ago, it’s not bad - but hardly use it at all.

I am thinking of using it to cycle to work, coolock to baggot st.

It has a type of disc brake, similar to the pic. I am a bit weary of it, are they as reliable as a traditional braking system on a bike?

Would it be worth my while getting rid of these and replacing them with a traditional type?

Cheers

rear-frame-is-mounts.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That's my avatar!

Disc brakes >> V brakes, loads of stopping power, long life, no risk of bursting a tube through overheating.

Definitely keep them. The only downside for a commuter is it might make your bike more attractive to potential thieves, make sure you have a good lock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ironicly disk brakes are superior to pads. They let you ride a wheel with a buckle, less chance of failing due to wet or dirt, they add weight but will stop you as soon as you hit the leaver.
    However if you decide to change and are chuckng them I'll take them off your hands;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'll second all that. Disc brakes are vastly superior to traditional brakes. Their stopping power esp off road really takes you by surprise the first few times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Thanks guys, I thought they were a bit of a gimmick to be honest,
    shows what I know about cycling!

Ill taking the bike into the office if I use it to commute

one thing that made me think them as a lesser quality brake, is that the front one rubs a bit and makes a bit of a squeal.

Perhaps I just need to try adjust the wheel, loosen one bolt, and tighten the other to compensate?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thanks guys, I thought they were a bit of a gimmick to be honest,
    shows what I know about cycling!

Ill taking the bike into the office if I use it to commute

one thing that made me think them as a lesser quality brake, is that the front one rubs a bit and makes a bit of a squeal.

Perhaps I just need to try adjust the wheel, loosen one bolt, and tighten the other to compensate?

cheers

Try loosen the two bolts that attach the caliper to the fork. Then squeeze the front brake lever. This sets the caliper into a position parallel with the rotor. Then tighten the bolts and release the brake lever. If you've no luck with this, have a look at the caliper and try to see if the rotor is constantly aligned to the left or right. If so, then some washers to re-align the caliper should help. If the rotor moves in and out, it's bent and easiest to replace, or you could have a lash at bending it straight. Tough to get right though. If still squealing, get new brake pads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Disc brakes are the business. If the front is rubbing a bit, it's probably the caliper that needs adjusting rather that the wheel, although do make sure that the wheel is secure also. There are normally a couple of Allen head bolts holding them; loosen them, pull and hold the front brake and then tighten them again. That'll sort out the caliper positioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Gavin wrote: »
    Try loosen the two bolts that attach the caliper to the fork. Then squeeze the front brake lever. This sets the caliper into a position parallel with the rotor. Then tighten the bolts and release the brake lever. If you've no luck with this, have a look at the caliper and try to see if the rotor is constantly aligned to the left or right. If so, then some washers to re-align the caliper should help. If the rotor moves in and out, it's bent and easiest to replace, or you could have a lash at bending it straight. Tough to get right though. If still squealing, get new brake pads.

thanks Ill give that a shot.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Dont pull the brake while the disk is out of the calipers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

re the rubbing, are they cable disc brakes? if so, very few use the two pistons behind the pads, and the resulting action warps the disc from the first use onwards. if hydrolic, the 2 bolts holding the brake to the bike are your best and easiest way to adjust the positioning. if you still have problems, send me a pm and i will have a look for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Karma wrote: »
    re the rubbing, are they cable disc brakes? if so, very few use the two pistons behind the pads, and the resulting action warps the disc from the first use onwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from the picture posted it looks that those discs are floating rotors which if set up correctly should be able to eliminate rubbing even with a slightly warped disc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement