Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing in a few days, questions to ask?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm looking to move into my first apartment or house with two friends within the next few weeks. We're going to be viewing 4 different places on wednesday, all within a decent distance of one another.
    I have a few basic ideas on what to ask e.g. keys to boxes to check the meter levels, taking photos of everything when we do move in, average ESB price, stuff like that.
    I was just wondering are there any questions I should ask or get an answer to on wednesday before moving in anywhere? Not really sure if I should be posting a new thread so merge where needed I guess.
    Appreciate any help at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Questions about ESB bills etc might not be within the agents/LLs domain. I think you'd be better off searching this forum for typical bills.

- Ask about the refuse collection set up, if it isn't immediately apparent.

- Flush the toilet & run the shower. That might sound strange, but there are many people who wind up having plumbing problems in a place they just moved into.

- Clarify what exactly is coming with the place. My place looks great at the moment. If any prospective tenants came to view it they'd be impressed. They wouldn't be happy if they turned up to move in and found that all the paintings and much of the furniture left with me when I moved out. Know what you are getting.

- You could ask about the BER of each place which will of course impact on your heating costs. Just be aware at least some of them won't know or won't have the rating, and may not like you asking.

- Stop to listen. Is the dwelling near a busy road? Is it near a pub? Will it be quiet at night?

- I'd be wary of promises to paint this or fix that before you move in. I wouldn't hand over any deposit until the jobs are done.

- Is there a garden? Who will maintain it?

A few more might come to mind later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I already know the ins and outs of each area anywhere, they're all around my town. The problem thats arising is how much they'll be honest about when we're having a look at the places. Two of them are storage heating so I'm a bit wary as to whether or not I'll get a decent answer when I ask what it could cost on average per month.

I'm prepared to paint a bit if I need to but any plumbing etc I'd want done before we hand over anything. Didn't think of asking about everything thats included though, thanks for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

That one only applies if there are tenants in situ, otherwise I think you should be safe enough to assume everything is staying.

Storage heaters are awful, I'd try and avoid them at all costs. That's not easy in apartments though.

One more thing, if there's a throw on the couch or armchair - look under it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozil

Get seperate individual leases, if it's just one lease and someone decides to move out or are late with the rent, the rest of you will be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Consider the parking arrangements, especially if it's an apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

bugler wrote: »

- You could ask about the BER of each place which will of course impact on your heating costs. Just be aware at least some of them won't know or won't have the rating, and may not like you asking.

I think more often than not the answer you will typically get to that one will be something like "its not too bad like, I spend x euro every three months on heating oil in the Winter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IS there mail boxes for each apartment?is there pin no, s locks for the main gate, and the entrance to your block.is there any space to lock up bikes.Listen ,can you hear noise from other apartments.IS it easy to open windows for ventilation.What cable tv or internet is avaidable.
    ARE letter boxes secure, i know people in a new apartment block. who have letters stolen by kids in the block,
    is it really that hard in 2010 to design a secure mailbox, with keys for each tenant?

Advertisement