Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License/tests for security etc?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what tests or licenses you have to do/get for working as security. Be it bouncing, security in a shopping centre or shop etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 WoodView

you will need to do a fetac level 4 course in Static guarding services which will make you eligable to be accepted by the Private security Authority--you will need to be veted by Gardai---total cost will be roughly 170 euros course last i full day or two---there is a huge backlog in waiting to get your card back from the PSA if they deem you eligable--this is down to red tape and beurocracy

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

there are two types of licence 1 for retail and commercial guarding (Static Guarding) and one to do door work (Door Supervisor) they are about 190 euro for both i think. I cant remember as my employer made contributions towards mine. Also you need a ten year history check without any gaps in it.
    Exact details are here: http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/agentvw?Openform&vw=psaLicensing

Not telling you your buisness but don't get into security mate its just non stop agro from day one and most of the trouble isnt from the general public its from the people youl be working around--theres nothing as nasty as a retail shop manager and the staff rob more than some kid picking up sweets ever will, then there the staff on power trips they will be constantly trying to set you up and make complains about you in order to make a name for themselves while at the same time giving you big smiles and how was your weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Cheers for the info.
    @woodview, i'm only looking at options, cant seem to get a job at all so might have to go down this road!

I understand,but its a very thankless job and you will be come ultra cynical about people as you will be in no win situation. for example

Kid aged 15 comes into shop and steals a 50 cent packet of crisps.

{a]you dont fully see it or else ask for bag of sweets back and let the kid go---shop assistants reaction---runs to manager ''the security are useless theres people comming in here and fleecing the place right left and centre under their noses and they know nothing will happen because the security are afraid of 15 year olds.call goes to your office you get bollicked by security manager because he will kiss shop managers ass in order to keep the contract at all costs no mattr what.

you catch the the kid and make call to the gardai.shop assistants reaction--runs around telling manager and everyonelse '' that security man is a total cowardly thug picking on a poor child that probably hasnt eaten in days--you wouldnt see him doing that to 20 year old ad nausem--and all over 1 measely 50 pence bag of chrisps hes some hero''---call goes to your office complaining you for excessive force, bullying kids etc--the security manager bollicks you out of it--for the same kiss ass reason above.

then of course if a band of thugs comes in and kicks you half to death,no one will help you and if the Gardai come suddenly everyone will get collective amnesia and they will have alegedly been all out the back in the ware house or on break whereas you will distinctly remember them standing looking at you being assaulted while they had im ok Jack glee full smiles on their face

• Advertisement
Advertisement