Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi amplifier

• 12-07-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a non do it yourself wifi amplifier?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No. They don't really work and some are illegal in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

check Maplin, they have some wifi range extenders

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

No. They don't really work and some are illegal in this country.
    Why illegal?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

e-sull wrote: »
    Why illegal?!

Because of the huge amount of wifi traffic, any more power and they'll interfere too much together. Imagine what it would be like if every ipod, radio and speaker blasted out at 100 DB. It'd make things very hard to hear all mashed up together (metaphoricly speaking obviously as sound is a mass wave and wifi is electromagnetic)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

ya i getcha.. would that not really only be a problem in urban areas though??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Yes but EU regulations limit the maximum transmit power of 2.4GHz devices to 20 dBm EIRP.

If this is for a point-to-point link, directional antennas are the way to go - gain on receive *and* transmit plus a reduction in signals and noise from unwanted directions (with line-of-sight and the right antennas, 10km is no problem). If it's for better coverage inside a building, look at deploying multiple access points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As above, there are power limitations and by boosting the signal you create more noise and interference. The fact remains that the weakest part of a wifi setup is generally the laptop not the router. That's why directional antennas and good lines of sight work much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭docetes

basically the problem is that the walls in my friend's house "are too thick" so I was thinking if I could get an "amplifier" and place at the other end of the house, she could get better WiFi coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Yes, you can do this with either a range extender or an access point. A range extender is easy to install - just put it where it can get a wireless signal from your router and it will relay to the new area. An access point requires running an ethernet cable (or powerline adaptors) from it back to the router but it will give better throughput and generally more stable connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

docetes wrote: »
    basically the problem is that the walls in my friend's house "are too thick" so I was thinking if I could get an "amplifier" and place at the other end of the house, she could get better WiFi coverage

Homeplugs are what you need !

http://tinyurl.com/3xgkg29

• Advertisement
Advertisement