Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a hardcore quick acting weed/grass killer

Options
  • 12-07-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Basically i am getting a floor put into a room im building. It has turned into an enchanted forest. Huge stingers, weeds and some other weird stuff... nearly sure i saw a pixie in it aswell.

anyway... i need a quick acting killer (radiation?) to kill everything in there.

Anyone any suggestions??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

roundup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Luciddrummer

Does that come in fairly big containers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Give Monsanto Ireland a call. Monsanto manufacture RoundUp so they will be able to tell you what quantities it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Roundup will only kill established weeds, chances are there are also plenty of ungerminated/dormant weed seeds present. You will require a total weedkiller.
    Simazine would be ideal, however this product has been withdrawn from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

How big is the room? You'd be as well dig it out as once the new floors down weeds wont surface without light.

Sodium Chlorate is the cheapest solution but like simazine it's now banned (but if you got chums of the type who got bunsen burners for xmas... :D)

Roundup probiactive 450 is their strongest stuff but 5L costs around £60 (uk), behind that is probiactive 360, then the garden centre rubbish is only 120 (these values are amount of glyphosate concentrate by volume, e.g. 450 is 45%, 120 only 12%.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.

It's a 30' by 15' room. I will be digging for the floor but these are that bad that I can't even get in to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

The safety aspect is really important with these glyphosates, trust me it aint worth it. Which would you prefer.. an aching back and a few nettle stings or just plain old boring cancer :(

Dig it out mate.. or pay someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Simazine would be ideal, however this product has been withdrawn from the market.

Why has it been withdrawn? I found it great stuff - I use it on my patio every year with great results. I've about 100g left so I'll use it carefully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you just need to kill the weeds, get a good powerful gas blowtorch and fry everything?
    not sure if they're rated for use indoors, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I would not use a weedkiller indoors. Definitely not with any kind of pressure sprayer.

I suspect that you could make your life considerably shorter if you do that. And a painful ending too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Diesel ......... spray it on established plants ............ spray it on the gound where little weeds are about to establish themselves. Job done:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What about a hedge trimmers for cutting all the growth back

Your digging the floor anyway so all you need is access and cutting it all back with a hedge trimmers and strimmers would give you that access

Quicker than weed killer too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Diesel ......... spray it on established plants ............ spray it on the gound where little weeds are about to establish themselves. Job done:eek:

eh....polution and contamination issues

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I would not use a weedkiller indoors. Definitely not with any kind of pressure sprayer.

I suspect that you could make your life considerably shorter if you do that. And a painful ending too.

WHAT???

I might try get my hands on a petrol strimmer and go mad with it.

Thanks for the replies lads!

Advertisement