Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie advice on cycle lanes, please!

• 12-07-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    (I typed out a big post earlier, but timed out and lost it so heres the short of it.)
    New on here and "new" to cycling after a 20+ year absence. Just a couple of questions which have probably been answered elsewhere, sorry!

Q1. Are the cycle lanes in the Phoenix park flowed??

Q2. Whats the story on pedestrians walking on these lanes?? Should they be there? And if so who has right of way seen as theres a footpath running alongside!

Thanks,
    Lookin forward to being on here,
    B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Backtobike wrote: »
    Q1. Are the cycle lanes in the Phoenix park flowed??

Flowed?
    Backtobike wrote: »
    Q2. Whats the story on pedestrians walking on these lanes?? Should they be there? And if so who has right of way seen as theres a footpath running alongside!

They're not meant to be there but there's nothing you can do about it. Most of them either don't notice it's a cycle lane (despite the big bike stencil every 10 metres) or don't care. Some people will move out of your way, others you till have to go around.

Or you could cycle on the road. Sometimes the best option, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, not sure what you mean by "flowed" either.

In terms of right of way, they operate exactly the same as a roadway. The person who has right of way, is the one who is in control, whether they're supposed to be there or not.

So if the pedestrian is standing in the lane when you get there, they have right of way. If they step out in front of you, you have right of way and they're in the wrong.

Never cycled in the Pheonix park myself, but I would generally avoid using cycle lanes unless they offer a very clear advantage over using the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

1) The cycle lanes in the Park are two-way (I presume that's what you mean by 'flowed'?).

2) Pedestrians shouldn't be there, but you'll put yourself in an early grave if you stress over every one of them. :) The issue isn't really a 'right of way' one as much as a 'right to use' one- legally, you have exclusive use of the lanes, but that doesn't entitle you to run the pedestrians off the lane. (Edit: Plus what seamus said.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Backtobike

@ Doctor Bob, Thanks for that. Im used to other forms of transport (aircraft) that use the term flowed for direction of travel. The one at the back of the zoo continues out onto the road into on coming traffic, so i dont use that one anymore, :eek:
    Never cycled in the Pheonix park myself, but I would generally avoid using cycle lanes unless they offer a very clear advantage over using the road.

I just use the one heading back into the city as the main road is like the lunar surface city bound and Im not used to this rock hard bike yet!! :eek:

Dont fancy fitting a bell on the bike, wouldnt suit it at all :cool: , so guess Im just gonna have to shout for now until I get used to things and change my route.

Thanks all,
    B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I like the idea that you used to helicopter to work and decided one day to cycle instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's also probably best to cycle at a very moderate pace on any of those cycle lanes, unless you can see clearly ahead for a good distance and are sure that there are no pedestrians around. If there are pedestrians on or adjacent to the lane, it's quite likely they will wander into your trajectory at just the wrong time. Animals and children are especially unpredictable.

Slowing down is definitely preferable to shouting. A polite 'excuse me' as you approach might work, but some of the pedestrians go nuts if you ask them to give you space to pass.

I'd also recommend to use the road, because I personally find cycling on the paths irksome. If the road is badly broken up, you may need to cycle nearer the centre of the lane than you are comfortable with. In that case, do whichever is the least stressful for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If there are pedestrians on or adjacent to the lane, it's quite likely they will wander into your trajectory at just the wrong time. Animals and children are especially unpredictable.

Whereas your trajectory will eject you over the handlebars if you lack bike control :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you are using the cycle lanes in the phoenix park you'll have to chill out as people just wander all over them. I finally relented and put a bell on my commuter bike, and in fairness it does the job and people know what it means. Rather than vague shouting which people take the hump with.

Most people I see training in the park use the roads. The main road is indeed cratered like the moon, and also theres lots of people parking, so risk of being doored or people running across is high. So you need to stay well out form the edge.

A better option might be to use the roads that go around the edge of the park, and avoid the busy main road. Theres definitely more cyclists using those roads than the main road.

Thanks for the advice guys! I just bunged the bike in the boot today and brought the bike to work where theres a 10K tarmac track inside the grounds so guess I'll use this for a while till I get my lungs and legs up to speed!! So boring after the first lap compared to the park though, maybe those pedestrians add to the ride along with the rabbits and squirrells, the Zoo goers:mad:
    :)

Cheers,
    B.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

Use the roads - safer and you don't completely lose the right of way at each badly laid out junction where the chance of getting hit from someone turning left is high. Hold primary and the tuck in when you are clear.

As some have said use the other roads, apart from the lovely speed bumps every 100m on some these are most enjoyable to ride. The incline on the chapelizod side you can make plenty of.

• Advertisement

The incline on the chapelizod side you can make plenty of.

Yeh, like this bit, climb it twice during my ride and the slightly downhill bendy bits before hand are great. Will stick to the roads from now on. Thanks!
    BTW: When I leave the park I take the North Quays back into town which is a 30KPH zone, Ive hit 45-50KPH (only after an un-interupted run from the park gates which is rare!!) at times along the bus lane, can you be done for speeding???? Never thought of it until I looked (very briefly) at my speedo the other day :eek:
    Again, sorry for all the Newbie questions :P

B.

Advertisement