Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does AH get slated so much on the "respectable" forums?

• 12-07-2010 4:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

I have frequented other forums on boards and one thing they have in common is that when a poster makes a witty or slightly irreverent or in jest post they are often warned or told off or told to go to AH if they want to indulge in those kind of comments.

The amount of times I have seen AH quoted by mods of other forums is unreal. Usually it works like this.

Serious thread about religion or science or politics of gender issues

poster a: bla bla bla (links to long boring articles backing up his/her claim)
    poster b: bla bla bla (links to long boring articles backing up his/her counterclaim)
    AH influenced poster c: witty comment taking thread issue not too seriously, usually involves reference to weight or sexuality of some key figure involved in debate
    poster d: calls poster c a brainless moron and gets back to serious debate
    poster e: calls poster c an empty-headed buffoon and gets back to serious debate
    mod: tells poster c to go back to AH and infracts/bans etc etc

Now is it a case of other forums taking themselves too seriously or is it a case of AH being a cesspit of immature sex-obsessed bigots?

I think it's the former and a lot of the other forums take themselves far too seriously (naming no names unless you ask!). The occassional witty comment to break up the long-winded intellectual debates should be welcomed and those forums should get off their high horses and join us AH regulars here with feet firmply planted on planet Earth, with all its variant idiosyncracies, freaks of nature, foibles, fartjokes and other imperfectly formed stuff beginning with f and other letters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cos everyone takes the piss here. In a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

You've read through at least some of AH right? The place is the cesspit of immature sex-obsessed bigots you mentioned. That's why we're all here. It's fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Boobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Coz they're jealous. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Because they take their hobbies and interests seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

what about poster f, everyone always forgets poster f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Someone didnt find donfers comment on another forum very witty did they?

Dont worry i think you are hilarious!!

on topic however i do agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

What's this AH and 'respectable forum' all about? Sorry I'm pretty new here and have heard AH being mentioned a few times and I've no idea what it is! I'm sure it's something really simple and obvious that i'll feel really stupid for not knowing when I'm told the answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

donfers wrote: »
    I have frequented other forums on boards and one thing they have in common is that when a poster makes a witty or slightly irreverent or in jest post they are often warned or told off or told to go to AH if they want to indulge in those kind of comments.

The amount of times I have seen AH quoted by mods of other forums is unreal. Usually it works like this.

poster b: bla bla bla (links to long boring articles backing up his/her counterclaim)
    AH influenced poster c: witty comment taking thread issue not too seriously, usually involves reference to weight or sexuality of some key figure involved in debate
    poster e: calls poster c an empty-headed buffoon and gets back to serious debate

Now is it a case of other forums taking themselves too seriously or is it a case of AH being a cesspit of immature sex-obsessed bigots?

I think it's the former and a lot of the other forums take themselves far too seriously (naming no names unless you ask!). The occassional witty comment to break up the long-winded intellectual debates should be welcomed and those forums should get off their high horses and join us AH regulars here with feet firmply planted on planet Earth, with all its variant idiosyncracies, freaks of nature, foibles, fartjokes and other imperfectly formed stuff beginning with f and other letters.
    Cos we're jus **** COOL Donfers! **** yeh!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

Loriharton wrote: »
    What's this AH and 'respectable forum' all about? Sorry I'm pretty new here and have heard AH being mentioned a few times and I've no idea what it is! I'm sure it's something really simple and obvious that i'll feel really stupid for not knowing when I'm told the answer!!

Ok i've got it it's "after hours" so AH is kind of for lighter more saucy topics is it??

• Advertisement

erm? is this trick question???:pac::confused:

rabble rabble **** upside down babble jebs what Op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Ok i've got it it's "after hours" so AH is kind of for lighter more saucy topics is it??

start a saucy topic so !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Moved to religion, science and politics. OP Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

It's a bit like ethnic cleansing, or the PC term nowadays of a 'selective process'.
    In life some people are destined for intellectual excellence and spend their days debating, critiquing and oneupmanshipping on the 'respectable' forums...

The rest of us are sent to After Hours. We're a bit like Australia in that sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Because it's the Boards forum equivalent of the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't have time to read this, I have to go out to ring some doorbells and run off to hide when the owner comes to the door. Teehehehehhehe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I
    The amount of times I have seen AH quoted by mods of other forums is unreal.

Feck off back to Consumer Issues OP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I think I just sharted oh no wait, nope, that was the op in making this thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

cos you touch yourself at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Boobs

This post is full of everything that is right with this forum. I salute you good sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I think it comes down to the fact that most serious debates in other forums end up in them all comparing dick sizes.
    AH turns into everyone comparing quick wit and tasteless humour, because comparing dick sizes is weird.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Typical responses to anything in AH are "FAIL!", "Yore ma", or "Pics or GTFO". All of which are pretty irrelevant if you're actually trying to have a serious conversation about something. Maybe the other forums do take things more seriously, that is why AH exists for people to have more lighthearted (pisstaking) conversations about things

gaz wac wrote: »
    start a saucy topic so !!

That's what the mustard forum is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

If your looking for a more respectable forum go to zombie survival.

It may save your life when the time comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I (.......)other letters.

No sense of fucking humour, a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What's the point in taking things seriously, as we all know laughter is the best medicine (after actifed - God I used to love that stuff as a kid :D ) and that's what AH is here for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

got any links to back this up?

DIDN'T THINK SO!
    Boobs

Boobs indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why do you care about what other forums think of AH? AH is beautiful, no matter what they say. Words can't bring it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Nodin wrote: »
    WindSock wrote: »
    Why do you care about what other forums think of AH? AH is beautiful, no matter what they say. Words can't bring it down.

Bang on nodin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was going to give an AH reply to this post in the Broadband forum, but then decided against it.

I was going to advise them to either orange to contact UTV tomorrow, or march up there and sort it out.

Perhaps it was a good idea to keep my tendencies away from it.:o
    kazoo106 wrote: »
    My friend has a UTV Internet connection - which neither Broadband or Phone is working on today - And guess what, NOBODY available to help him today.
    National Ulster Holiday today !!!

What kind of service is this they provide to the Republic of Ireland or has somebody made it a holiday here without our knowledge.

WindSock wrote: »

Oooh ooh ooooh aaahhhh ooohh ooh ooh ahh eeeekkkk doodle doop do do do wah woooo.

*that was suppose to be how Christina Aguilera sings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nodin wrote: »
    ntlbell wrote: »
    Bang on nodin.

Indeed :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

[Insert Mary Harney joke]

AH is sometimes to only thing that cheers me up!
    Where do you go when your hangover?
    Where do you go when your dog has just died?
    where do you go when you want to die?
    where does such an mature yet lighthearted bunch of people go to have the crack?

AFTER HOURS!

THE SOUL OF BOARDS.IE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I was going to give an AH reply to this post in the Broadband forum, but then decided against it.

I was going to advise them to either orange to contact UTV tomorrow, or march up there and sort it out.

Perhaps it was a good idea to keep my tendencies away from it.:o

ejmaztec. it is crucial to the future of the universe that you post that to them, and then tell us how pissed off they get! :D

BLACKEN wrote: »
    AH is sometimes to only thing that cheers me up!
    Where do you go when your hangover?
    Where do you go when your dog has just died?
    where do you go when you want to die?
    where does such an mature yet lighthearted bunch of people go to have the crack?

AFTER HOURS!

THE SOUL OF BOARDS.IE!

Thanks for that Ryan bleedin Adams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

They're miserable jealous cunts; fuck 'em

There was quite a lot of 'anti-AH' feeling in the Trent thread at one time, because the 'AH-ers were taking over'.

It's pretentious twats thinking they're above others. Fuck 'em :)

Ryan who?? sorry im not old enough to know who that is old timer! ;)

BLACKEN wrote: »
    Ryan who?? sorry im not old enough to know who that is old timer! ;)

gwan i'd say ye drag the belly out of yourself listening to him

*Fap* *Fap*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

NothingMan wrote: »
    That's what the mustard forum is for.

Pif... Mustard is a condiment :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There can be only one! (After Hours)

Pif... Mustard is a condiment :pac:

And what would a condiment be oh mighty Drav?

Well according to the all seeing, all knowing Wikipedia:

A condiment is sauce, or seasoning added to food to impart a particular flavour or to complement the dish

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

NothingMan wrote: »
    And what would a condiment be oh mighty Drav?

Well according to the all seeing, all knowing Wikipedia:

A condiment is sauce, or seasoning added to food to impart a particular flavour or to complement the dish

:P

Great... Mustard just happens to be both ><"

Hey.. hold on a sec...

I never said anything about being mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Probably due to a tendency in some posters to form opinions without actually giving much thought to the topic. It's not that AHers are particularly bad, just that stuff is allowed slide here that wouldn't on the other forums.

rabble rabble scumbags rabble rabble legalise vigilantism rabble rabble prisons shouldn't be like hotels rabble rabble do away with suspended sentences rabble rabble etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's definitely related Their Ma in some way.

I can't put my finger on it. Although I've obviously put my finger in it, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's because people always 'fraid of what's different.

After Hours is a howl despite the odd mod that doesn't get the forum passing through, closing threads and trying to stamp out the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Not here too long myself but i quickly realised AH is the van wilder of boards. It's a lot more more fun than all the other forums, the class clown in a way, but soon enough the rest look down at it cos it's 29 and still doin it's leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

AH is boring. tCN...now that's fun :D

let's count to a million....:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Get out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement