Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with bike being parked and hot engine parts!

• 12-07-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I newbie question.

I'm getting my first real bike and I work in a wee small town that never has any bikes parked in it. I'm concerned this new shiny machine will attract the attention of people, so my question is, who is at fault if they get burnt by touching the hot parts of the bike? Or worse still, they knock it over and it lands on them!!!

I'm sure someone here has come across this issue before.

I've called my insurance company and they are to get back to me.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's their fault for being retarded.

If they climbed under a car and stuck their hand to the engine block they'd get burnt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Hi,

I newbie question.

I'm getting my first real bike and I work in a wee small town that never has any bikes parked in it. I'm concerned this new shiny machine will attract the attention of people, so my question is, who is at fault if they get burnt by touching the hot parts of the bike? Or worse still, they knock it over and it lands on them!!!

I'm sure someone here has come across this issue before.

I've called my insurance company and they are to get back to me.

if they touch hot parts of the bike and get burnt tuff siht for them but if they knock it over and cause damage then you can ring the law and bring them to court to pay for any damages but try and park some where there is security cameras pointing so if an issue arose the law could request to see the security camera tapes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's up to parents to say getoffityalittlebollix to their offspring too. If adults have to be told to not interfere with bikes then tuff tittie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Tough sh*t on anyone that gets burnt, they sholdn't be messing with your property.

I use to keep a BSA outfit parked in town when working on a house in the 90's I couldn't leave it 5 mins without kids crawling all over it. Finally decided to cover the sidecar in grease and waste oil. Parents came up to me raging about their kids getting covered in oil etc, my answer to that included the 4 letter word. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. My thoughts are the little ****s getting on it. I had my 1st lessons over the weekend and never thought as to how hot they get.

There are cameras on the work place so thats covered. Just a thought i had, guess I never thought of drawing comparisions to leaving a car there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

just buy one of those speaking alarms, whenever someone gets within a certain distance, it talks........maybe you can put your own recording on it...
    "get the f_ck away from my bike you s.o.a.b."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Legally i haven't a clue. For me it depends where you park. If you park illegally on a footpath where kids could be and they get burned/pull the bike over its your fault. If you are parked in a sensible spot its their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well I hope to be parked in a proper space outside work. Another thing is stupid drivers driving into a spot thinking there is nothing there. Anyway, I'm sure its a common fear and I'm just being over worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Well I hope to be parked in a proper space outside work. Another thing is stupid drivers driving into a spot thinking there is nothing there. Anyway, I'm sure its a common fear and I'm just being over worried.

This ones a worry - it's a toss up between parking the bike further in the space, hoping that a driver will have time to stop when they see the bike, or parking it in line with the back of the cars beside it so that it's more easily seen.

So far I've gone with leaving it in line, so that it's more easily seen. I'm going to fit a loud alarm to it too, as I'm usually not that far from the bike, so if someone does hit the bike I've a slight chance of getting there in time to get their reg if they drive away.

On another parking related note - what do you guys do if the only option available is paid parking? You can't really display a ticket on a bike - do you leave it on a footpath or what? Any trouble with doing that?

I was in Dunnes carpark, just nipping in to grab a sandwich and I asked the warden that was going around the park. He said he'd ticket a bike in a car space, and that I should park it on the path - which I thought wasn't allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I wouldn't park in a car space for that very reason, also most car spaces usually don't have a secure point to lock your bike to.
    I would be more worried about the bike being stolen than someone being burned or knocking it over. I would recommend finding somewhere in work with something solid to lock your bike to and get a good heavy duty chain and lock, if you get one for work you can leave it there saves carting a heavy chain around. Especially if it will be sitting there all day.

You will have to compromise between a secure place and a convenient place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

wait till thefunny thgings that you never thought of start happening

came ouyt of college once and some bloke was dragging my bike out of its space to park his car told him to cop on

came out of a pub once (*i dont drink and drive) to find a fella hgoisting my bike out of its space onto the path i gave him a kick in the hole

and the worst i ever saw this guy sat on my bike to roll it forward out of his way so he could park his car

i thought he was stealing it so i hit him with my lid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Tigger wrote: »
    wait till thefunny thgings that you never thought of start happening

came ouyt of college once and some bloke was dragging my bike out of its space to park his car told him to cop on

came out of a pub once (*i dont drink and drive) to find a fella hgoisting my bike out of its space onto the path i gave him a kick in the hole

and the worst i ever saw this guy sat on my bike to roll it forward out of his way so he could park his car

i thought he was stealing it so i hit him with my lid

WTFF

(The extra F is for 'F*****G')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Park your bike on a pavement and attach it to something. Keep it close to the wall or edge, not blocking the path of blind people or groups. You can avoid being ticketed this way(as your bike isn't causing a nuisance) and you don't have to worry about cars hitting it or people moving it. It being knocked over is a possibility but you can't really stop that.

As for hot engine parts, **** em. Its about time we started taking the safety labels off things to cull the weak and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I parked my bike on a Sunday morning on the path at the end of the path so it wasn't possIble that it was in the way
    this way in old Smithfield
    there were loads of spaces but I wanted it outa peoples way

and I got a tivket from the cops

Advertisement