Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop DC IN jack loose

• 12-07-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Not getting much response in the Laptop forum, so i thought i'd try here.
    (Mods feel free to delete the thread in Laptops)

The power connector jack on my laptop is loose, so much so that i now have to push and hold the cord in to get it to charge.

Can this be fixed, where should i go to get it fixed, and how long should it take and about what price?
    Im based in the midlands, so somewhere around here would be great.

Its an LG laptop, bought in the middle east, so im not sure if it even had an international warranty, or how long that warranty was for.

Any help would be appreciated.....before my battery dies!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

generally the slot is encased on the motherboard, and soldered on to contact points, so i'd recommend sending it back to the manufacturer for this repair. however you could have someone look at it independently, it might be a case that the pins just need to be squeezed together a bit to make a solid connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Can i send it to LG Ireland even though i bought it in the ME?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i wouldn't know to be honest, but try emailing/calling them, i'm sure they'll be able to tell you straight away.

just an fyi, even if it's still under warranty that particular problem is too easily branded as user damage so you'll be paying for it either way, and god knows they might just call it a motherboard replacement so it could be expensive, ask them for a price before mailing it to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Take a look at their website and see if they have any forms for notifying them of warranty location changes. When reporting the problem, just say that the laptop isn't charging. Let them figure the problem out. You could easily be jumping to cause.

Ah no, im fairly sure its a loose connection, the laptop is nearly always plugged in and gets pulled and chucked around the place. :rolleyes: When i push in the cable and hold it there it charges fine, as soon as i let go it stops.

Im pretty sure its well over the warranty period now anyway,so i might just try and find a local techi and let them have a gander and see what they think.

Ive emailed LG anyway, no reply yet.

Anyone got an idea of price for a job like this, just ballpark figure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If it's a re-solder then cheap, like €10. If it's a new part it'd be the cost of the part+solder, which varies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

If it's a re-solder then cheap, like €10. If it's a new part it'd be the cost of the part+solder, which varies.

Are you suggesting that someone will disassemble a laptop, resolder a DC jack, reassemble and test the laptop for €10????? Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

If it's a re-solder then cheap, like €10.

Good luck with that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Are you suggesting that someone will disassemble a laptop, resolder a DC jack, reassemble and test the laptop for €10????? Not a chance.

I'm sure he means the part alone would be ~€10.

I recently did this job on my Dell 9300 and there's no way you could pay somebody €10 to do it, the whole thing needs to come apart.

...could be wrong though..

Cheapest quote im getting is 90-100euro, does that sound about right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement