Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you wear a helmet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I wish there was a thread gun:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

me@ucd wrote: »
    If atree falls in a forrest and no one is around to hear it..does it make a noise:p
    If you happened to be in that forest and the tree fell on your head and crushed your brain you certainley wouldent hear it as we used to say in the army you wont hear the bullit that kills you.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I dont really bother wearing one but i think it should be made compulsery and yes i know i should wear one we all should really as far as i know it's compulsery in most other countries.:eek:
    As I said before, cycling on normal roads is not unusally productive of head injuries (in fact, it's about the same as walking near traffic) and population-level data do not support the contention that helmets are very good at preventing serious head injury.

As for helmet-wearing being compulsory in most countries, it isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet#Legislation_and_culture
    Legislation and culture

The following countries have mandatory helmet laws, in at least one jurisdiction, for either minors only, or for all riders: Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, Iceland, Israel,[110] Slovakia, Sweden, USA, and New Zealand. Spain requires helmets on interurban routes [111]. In the U.S. 37 states have mandatory helmet laws,[112] and nearly 9 in 10 adults support helmet laws for children.[113] Israel's helmet law was never enforced or obeyed, and the adult element has been revoked; Mexico City has repealed its helmet law.[114]

If you happened to be in that forest and the tree fell on your head and crushed your brain you certainley wouldent hear it as we used to say in the army you wont hear the bullit that kills you.:D

What if you get shot in the foot and die a few hours later after bleeding out?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I wish there was a thread gun:
    Peter Serafinowicz is an amazing voice artist. His impressions of Lennon and McCartney, both speaking and singing voices, are uncanny. His Wogan is very good too.

But, should he fall from his bicycle unhelmeted, I'm afraid his loved ones would never again hear his brilliant mimicry.

Yeah I like his Pacino impression too. He was also hired to do the voice of Darth Maul in that Star Wars prequel that shall not be named.

I think I heard his Wogan before on Jonathan Ross, it was uncanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Is it me or do ITV4 have very frequent ad breaks that seem to go on forever on the Tour de France highlights in the evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

As a matter of interest, when was it that pro pelotons started wearing what we now regard as 'helmets'? Not those hilarious strips of padding used up to the early 90s that you see...

2003 after the death of Andrei Kivilev in paris nice
    initially they were allowed to take them off on mountain top finishes, eventually rules were revised to make them mandatory at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

Is it me or do ITV4 have very frequent ad breaks that seem to go on forever on the Tour de France highlights in the evening?

Ha ha, doesn't really have much to do with the thread this post does it?Do you have to wear a helmet in the TDF or other major tournaments? If you are on holiday in a country where helmets are compulsory and you are caught without one what happens to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Always, since...

I used to wear a helmet during commuting times only.
    Then I was cycling on Taney Road one wet day, down the hill towards the Luas bridge. There's a short section of cycle path on the road, then it goes onto the footpath. I knew there was a lip there of about an inch so slowed well down. However this was not enough. The front wheel skidded on the lip, then flipped the bike over. I landed directly on the top of my head. Only for the helmet I would have had a serious knock or worse. Now I always wear a helmet.

However, it does take any "cool" or "carefree" away from cycling. It makes you look slight less of an ape than a bikie/biker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

as far as i know it's compulsery in most other countries.

Eh, no. No its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if you wear a helmet you dont see the adverts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

RobBaxter wrote: »
    Ha ha, doesn't really have much to do with the thread this post does it?Do you have to wear a helmet in the TDF or other major tournaments? If you are on holiday in a country where helmets are compulsory and you are caught without one what happens to you?
    Depends on the country but I have certainly cycled in Spain without one. I would have asked directions often enough and the police don't care.

Helmets are mandatory in racing but only since 2003 in the pro ranks. I think they were made mandatory earlier in amateur racing but the pro riders protested. I would always wear one racing whether they were mandatory or not though as crash risk is elevated there.

hangers10 wrote: »
    i always wear a helmet . . . :-D
    CAUSE SAFETY COMES FIRST . . . you should not your life over sweat . . . !!!

You should formulate sentences that can be understood by your peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

I didnt think helmets were that important until I crashed at a slow 20 km/hr last Jan on ice ,I cracked my helmet in 4 places and my memory of the crash is my head bouncing on the road.
    I now wear a helmet at all times.
    Jerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Do anyone of you wear a helmet while coming out of the shower? The possibility of slipping and banging your head is extremely high. You should protect yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I got attacked by gulls while out for a run yesterday. Wish I was wearing a helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Stark wrote: »
    I got attacked by gulls while out for a run yesterday. Wish I was wearing a helmet.

I got bird-strike cycling along the Clontarf track a few years ago. I'm glad I was wearing my helmet cos the fecker packed a fierce punch. A starling I think. I had a headache for two days.

Gautama wrote: »
    Always, since...

I used to wear a helmet during commuting times only.
    Then I was cycling on Taney Road one wet day, down the hill towards the Luas bridge. There's a short section of cycle path on the road, then it goes onto the footpath. I knew there was a lip there of about an inch so slowed well down. However this was not enough. The front wheel skidded on the lip, then flipped the bike over. I landed directly on the top of my head. Only for the helmet I would have had a serious knock or worse. Now I always wear a helmet.

A pointless and dangerously designed cycle lane. Pointless, because it only segregates you from traffic for a few dozen metres and then drops you back on the road, only now on the wrong side of left-turning traffic, which is one source of danger -- I guess that lip is another. I was unaware of the lip myself, because I took one look at the lane and thought "I'm definitely not using that".

• Advertisement

jerryg wrote: »
    I didnt think helmets were that important until I crashed at a slow 20 km/hr last Jan on ice ,I cracked my helmet in 4 places and my memory of the crash is my head bouncing on the road.
    I now wear a helmet at all times.
    Jerry
    20 km/h is not a slow speed in icy conditions.

Also, I think most of the anti-helmet brigade would still advocate wearing one when cycling on ice as there's a significantly increased risk factor there compared to cycling in normal conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Also, I think most of the anti-helmet brigade would still advocate wearing one when cycling on ice as there's a significantly increased risk factor there compared to cycling in normal conditions.

I even wore knee pads during the ice in january ! Good god !

Certainly in icy conditions you should be travelling at a speed within the range for which helmets are actually designed. I believe the maximum force they can withstand is equivalent to a 5kg weight being dropped about two metres. It's a very modest force.

I have read that the helmet liner is supposed to crush not crack (as the liner is supposed to deform, absorbing the linear forces of your head), and if it cracks you have benefitted from very little deceleration. I'm not sure this is true though.

Of course, if conditions are very icy, you're better off not cycling altogether, unless you have studded tyres.

I switched to using the Dublin Bikes last winter during that icy patch. They were far better in the ice than my two bikes. Those wide, low-pressure tyres were perfect.

I still didn't wear a helmet during that icy spell, because I don't own one. I guess a hard-shell skater's helmet would have been ideal -- and no chance of overheating in those temperatures. Would be handy when walking too maybe! If we have another winter like that, I might get one.

I've heard of at least one death from head injury during the icy spell and it was someone out walking. And of course there was that guy on the 6:01 news who looked like he took a right whack to the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

I have to elaborate here and say that I was not cycling in icy conditions but I hit a patch of black ice at 10 a.m. No ice had been forecast .But wearing a helmet is purely a personnal decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

Only ever wear a helmet when racing but if I was going to take up cycling down the wrong side of the road (without hard shoulder) like the 'safety conscious' guy I passed 2 days ago decked out with helmet and high-vis jacket then I might reconsider. :rolleyes:

LeoD wrote: »
    Only ever wear a helmet when racing but if I was going to take up cycling down the wrong side of the road (without hard shoulder) like the 'safety conscious' guy I passed 2 days ago decked out with helmet and high-vis jacket then I might reconsider. :rolleyes:

Indeed

always_wear_a_helmet.jpg

I actually nearly got hit by a pigeon the other day. Little bugger came flying across my path but I managed to duck my head in time. I normally make a "Tss tss tss" noise if I see any in my path. Dirty gutter birds.

EDIT: Can we stop the anti-helmet brigade thing? That implies there is some sort of pressure group, which there isn't. No one is forced NOT to wear a helmet, and the only time this comes up is when someone starts a helmet thread and someone isn't satisfied that other people have no reason for not wearing a helmet other than it's their choice.

And yes, in the ice last winter I wore mine, I also wear it in heavy rain, when I'm not commuting, etc. Basically when I feel I might be more at risk.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I actually nearly got hit by a pigeon the other day. Little bugger came flying across my path but I managed to duck my head in time. I normally make a "Tss tss tss" noise if I see any in my path. Dirty gutter birds.

I thought you liked dirty birds?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

By the same instance you should always wear one while walking or running on ice for the same reason...better safer then sorry :)

I'm not anti-helmet, I'm simply pointing out the benefits of one to everyone.

Bottom line, if you want to wear one thats fine, if not thats fine too...its your head :)

Now can we stop these stupid polls and debates, there is no anti-helmet campaign its all a choice so can we stop suggesting there is a anti-helmet campaign.

It's a great thread I think. Getting the views of eveyone's attitude to helmets. I was expecting most people on here to be "helmets at all times - no excuses" after the " do you break red lights" poll.

But I was quite surprised by the results and helmet wearing principles that people hold.

After reading through a number of horror stories online about accidents I was about to go and buy a helmet and wear it at all times, but after all the food for thought that this thread has produced I think that a better way to go about my helmet wearing is on a risk basis.

After all they are uncomfortable, sweaty and dorky.

One is illegal though, the other is not.

One increases your risk of an accident, the other doesn't.

(I'm still in favour of a turn left on red, but lets keep this on helmets!)

page 10... woo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I think that a better way to go about my helmet wearing is on a risk basis. .

Any time you get on your bike though, there's a risk....

just depends on how cool you want to be though -it's much better to say "I had a crash and got concussion, but didn't die because I'm awesome" than to say "I had a crash and scraped my knee, but thank god I was wearing a magic hat because it saved my life -everyone who doesn't wear one is teh sux"

page 10... woo

I'm going to have to change my "number of posts per page" setting -I've only got 4 for this thread which isn't nearly so ott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

el tonto wrote: »
    Leroy, do you wear a helmet when you're in a car? If not, why not?

I imagine because the car is a helmet. If he falls over stopped at the lights he won't crack his head.

Not all cyclists are you.

I wear a helmet because I want my child to see good example, and because she saw one of her friends hit her head in a cycling accident at low speed and lie on the road with blood trickling from her head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm going to have to change my "number of posts per page" setting -I've only got 4 for this thread which isn't nearly so ott

Why do you love scrollbars?

oh hang on, wrong thread

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I wear a helmet because I want my child to see good example, and because she saw one of her friends hit her head in a cycling accident at low speed and lie on the road with blood trickling from her head.

Or maybe teach her to how to avoid the accident in the first place?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I imagine because the car is a helmet.

But it's been proven that wearing a helmet while driving will reduce your risk of head injury in the event of an accident.

• Advertisement

Helmets are very effective for children anyway. Big heads, low speeds, small distance from head to ground. You should explain this to your children, show them the science behind it.

No girl wants to be seen wearing the same thing as her dad, so setting an example that way probably won't work.

Do you wear knee and elbow pads at all times too, or safety boots... I remember seeing my dad stub his toe when I was younger, there was blood tricking from it and I learned a swearword... he must be a terrible example

@Rob- worth being clear about, no-one in the so-called "anti-helmet" brigade will suggest you don't wear a helmet. I believe that it will give some protection if I am involved in an accident and I would certainly prefer to have one on my head in those circumstances. However many seem to think of them as a magic hat that makes them invincible when there is a lot you can do to keep yourself safe before looking to the helmet. Defensive cycling, observation, anticipating traffic, not breaking red lights, not going up the inside of trucks, not cycling in the door zone, not using cycle tracks where they are dangerous, not presuming just because you have right of way that a car will respect this. Lights at night. All more important.

A helmet is good secondary insurance if all this fails. I would even say to you that I think it is a good idea to wear a helmet and you can get ones that are reasonably comfortable. Whilst on a bike you look like a cyclist and in that context a helmet honestly doesn't look particularly dorky but quite normal. But the risk is pretty low IMO, it is personal choice and I would not consider you a lunatic if you chose not to wear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I dunno Blorg, I would make it illegal to wear a helmet if I could. :D

Do you wear knee and elbow pads at all times too, or safety boots... I remember seeing my dad stub his toe when I was younger, there was blood tricking from it and I learned a swearword... he must be a terrible example

I don't see where facetiousness has a place is debate. But to answer your question, no, but then it's unlikely I'll suffer serious long term effects from a stubbed toe.

I don't see where facetiousness has a place is debate. But to answer your question, no, but then it's unlikely I'll suffer serious long term effects from a stubbed toe.

You'd be surprised. My 4 y/o son stubbed his big toe under a door a couple of weeks ago and the nail fell off. It looks really nasty. Not sure it will ever be the same again even once it's grown back fully.

He was wearing sandals at the time; his response was to insist on wearing proper shoes. I tried to explain that he'd be better off staying out of the door zone, but there's just no telling some people.

Lumen wrote: »
    Or maybe teach her to how to avoid the accident in the first place?

An accident by its very nature is an unplanned event. You can learn to avoid most circumstances but not all.

I have no problem with people choosing not to wear a helmet, but am surprised that there is, albeit low-level, mocking of those who choose to wear one.

An accident by its very nature is an unplanned event. You can learn to avoid most circumstances but not all.

I have no problem with people choosing not to wear a helmet, but am surprised that there is, albeit low-level, mocking of those who choose to wear one.

There is certainly some mocking of the arguments about helmet use. But little mocking of those who wear helmets...

Wear one, or don't wear one, but don't try to dictate to me what I should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Did I... really... make it through all... ten pages?
    I agree....as long as you consider your loved ones when making that choice.

I'm in a somewhat unenviable position in that I'm worth more to my loved ones dead than alive. Advice appreciated.

@Stark- would you recommend a fez? :D

• Advertisement

I think you'll mostly find that there isn't mocking of the wearing of a helmet, simply a response to the reasons that people give for always wearing one. It's a reaction to the "I always wear one because it'll save my life" brigade who, if anything, look on those that choose not to with disdain.

As for my facetiousness, it was in response to your intimation that not wearing a helmet sets a bad example for children. From your post above it implies however that you wear one because of the accident your child witnessed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement