Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this quote unreasonable .....?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have been quoted € 3,000 for painting. It includes the external painting of house, and Internal Painting to about 60% of the walls. Also included is the painting of the wooden windows. House is detached 1500 sq feet size.

Maybe I'm wrong but this seems very expensive for labour only, as I am supplying the paint ??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Seems pretty cheap to me for what you are getting, even without the paint. That's of course if they are going to do the job right, i.e. prepare surfaces, prime, undercoat, topcoat, etc.

What it all comes down to is how much preparation work the painter will do. Of course you'll get guys who will paint the whole house for €1k, but you can bet they will do no preparation.

I'd also say you should get references for completed jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Painting is actually more expensive than you think. Sounds about right. If you want a job done right well be prepared to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

God I dunno, wouldn't you do it in a day yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

sealgaire wrote: »
    God I dunno, wouldn't you do it in a day yourself?

Well I might :cool:

For mere mortals - €3k to do a 150m2 house - does not sound like enough . If you accept a qoute that low - agree a specification and look for references .

consider

what if damage is caused to the house - who pays - how ?
    who will remove and repalce rads assuming you want the walls behind painted
    who will free doors that stick after painting
    who will free windows that stick after painting
    who will provide scaffolding
    who pays for broken legs/necks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Ha sounds great to me, but then again we have a three storey house that is so expensive to pain would turn you grey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

we have a walnut and ash stairs. to get the walnut varnished and the ash painted with a white satin and to get our hall painted (walls and skirting and architrave) cost 1500e.

the stairs was a job that HAD to be done properly so we paid the price that the guy we wanted quoted us.

Advertisement