Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSE

Options
  • 12-07-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I about to 'upskill' on the mcse, through home labs i might add, and was just wondering;
    how much of the mcse is command based knowledge? You can 'manage and maintain' a server through the GUI easy enough i think, but are you expected to know heaps of scripts and commands that you might ordinarily execute through the GUI?

thanks in advance

Chris.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

The MCSE is history. Check out the Microsoft certification section on the new certifications.

Edit: Not trying to be an ass but the new ones are a bit more complicated. It depends on what exactly you want to certify to answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

yeah sorry i forgot to mention im studying mcitp and probably going to go down the exchange route

the question still remains though, how much command prompt do you realistically need to know (without going into scripting) or is the exam mostly GUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Which MCITP since there are a number of different ones:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Theres no scripting really in MCSE.
    Now I would imagine the newer certifications cover PowerShell etc but they wouldn't imagine you to know commands off the top of your head.

I would say its enough to know the syntax and how to apply it using the help commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

thanks iRock, good to know that you don't have to learn off 90% of the commands to get certed.....there's waaay too many to remember.

I recently noticed that for the mcsa, you can choose an elective of configuring exchange server. With the MCITP(SA), theoretically the upgraded equivalent, there is no elective to do exchange.....strange. You'll probably tell me exchange is broadly covered within the other 3 exams......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

thanks iRock, good to know that you don't have to learn off 90% of the commands to get certed.....there's waaay too many to remember.

I recently noticed that for the mcsa, you can choose an elective of configuring exchange server. With the MCITP(SA), theoretically the upgraded equivalent, there is no elective to do exchange.....strange. You'll probably tell me exchange is broadly covered within the other 3 exams......

Nope, Exchange has its own MCITP - Exchange Messaging Administrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭red_diesel

yeah sorry i forgot to mention im studying mcitp and probably going to go down the exchange route

the question still remains though, how much command prompt do you realistically need to know (without going into scripting) or is the exam mostly GUI.

I wouldn't bother with Exchange, most SME's will be BPOS (http://www.microsoft.com/emea/cloudservices/ie/en/bpos/exchange_online.aspx) or Google apps within a few years.

red_diesel wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with Exchange, most SME's will be BPOS (http://www.microsoft.com/emea/cloudservices/ie/en/bpos/exchange_online.aspx) or Google apps within a few years.

I don't think so.
    There are so many opportunities out there with Exchange.

It certainly worth looking at whether you will be working for a non-IT organization or a service provider ther eis a HUGE demand for this product and there is NOTHING that provides the same functionality (e.g. Google Docs).

I've done quite a few Google Docs migations and think its great but the majority of organizations find it very restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The MCSE was pretty damn tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The MCSE was pretty damn tough!

7 exams in total, damn right it's tough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

red_diesel wrote: »

There's always plenty of jobs looking for exchange heads.

Raekwon wrote: »
    7 exams in total, damn right it's tough!

I wouldn't let that fool you.
    Quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.

How many of your use RIS at work after the 270 exam?

See what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

iRock wrote: »
    I wouldn't let that fool you.
    Quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.

How many of your use RIS at work after the 270 exam?

See what I mean

True, but 7 exams is still alot of exams to sit especially if it is all self financed and juggled around with work/family commitments.

Plus 70-291, 70-293 & 70-294 aren't exactly a walk in the park either.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

Used RIS in the last IT Job if it is setup right it is quiet good its the only one Microsoft supports ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

RIS, now WDS, is the dogs bollix. Very handy.

Advertisement