Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick fuschia

Options
  • 12-07-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I know the Fuschias got a bit of a battering with the very cold weather we had this winter but has anybody noticed problems with this years shoots, they apperar a wee bit stunted,?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. Delany

I've got two different fuschias and two different fuschia stories. The backgarden fuschia (a large petalled pink/light pink/cream one) essentially died in the frost. But, is now growing back from the roots and I will probably have a fairly decent plant again this time next year. No flowers whatsoever on it this year but it's healthy looking and I think will be fine. I just need to cut out all of the dead wood now.

The frontgarden fuschia was a monster which we "removed" last October. It's now growing strongly from the roots also, much as I've tried to stop it.

So, don't give up on your fuschia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Fuchsia is hard to kill, I remember once tearing out a load of it to put in a new garden, we chipped the fuchsia on site and used it as mulch in the new garden.

The following spring there were little fuchsia coming up all over the place :)

Definitely don't give up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i have it and it survived a lacing of roundup.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

I grew fuschia in containers this year and to say it is hugely abundant is an understatement.
    I have no clue what to do with it though when it comes to winter time, do I replant it in the garden, I would hate to think it grew so strongly and then I just leave it to rot away.

Thanks

Bella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Fuchsia can become very woody and performance is affected. Underperforming Fuchsia can be cut back hard (ground level) and this will generate lots of new soft shoot growth come Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Fuchsia can become very woody and performance is affected. Underperforming Fuchsia can be cut back hard (ground level) and this will generate lots of new soft shoot growth come Spring.

That's what i did this spring after reading about hard pruning. Jaysus it looked a sorry state after, its there years so many stems were rotted it looked lifeless.
    Fast forward to now and its doing really well, full of new shoots with flowers and is just over 2ft.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

the cold nuked ours this year, cut it back to ground level and it is flying now. about 1/2 the size it was but healthy and flowering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

Had sixteen plants which looked in april like they would be only fit for compost. On the advice of a number of people we cut back to about two inches, replanted in a place that wasn't as crucial and they are all, every single one, growing like dambusters. An incredible plant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

For all Fuchsia lovers, there is a low growing but hardy variety called Fuchsia Sunray. Easy to maintain with beautiful variagation of pink/red markings on pale green & white leaves. Plenty of red/purple flowers throughout the summer.

All the colour and appeal of Fuchsia but a low grower, ie Ht 45cm Spread 75cm, makes it especially useful for smaller areas/gardens.

http://www.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=fuchsia+sunray&rlz=1R2ADFA_enIE359&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=T2RPTPKZH5OM0gT_ooGcBw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQsAQwAw&biw=1419&bih=664

Advertisement