Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in DIT Bolton Street, any advice?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Basically I done the LC in 2009 and took a year out to work and go on a few holidays ect...

I got 325 in the LC and i have applied to do environmental and spatial management (DT106) which was 330pts last year so i will probably end up doing my second choice Geomatics. I'm happy with either.

So having been away from education for a year ive kind of forgotten what its like also my handwriting has gone to the dogs (mad how that happens).

I'm assuming college is way different to school with more freedoms ect...
    i'm a tad nervous about going to a new college and doing a new course of study.

anyway, i have a few questions.

How many days/hours would the average week consist of?
    whats the social/friend scene like in bolton street?
    and lastly is it a good college?

would really appreciate it if you guys could answer these to calm my nerves and give me any advice for a first year.

thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Gary,

Having been in your situation last year I can understand your nervousness but let me tell you'll be grand.

How many days/hours would the average week consist of?
    Your days/hours will vary depending on your course, if you want to look at last years time table for both geomatics and spatial management go to http://webtimetables.dit.ie You will then be asked for a usernamne and password: For you the username is: Student Built Environment The password is: environment.

Whats the social/friend scene like in bolton street?

The social scene is I suppose average enough nothing to write home about but as with college life the more you put into it the more you'll get out of it. Friends i think it depends on the course, I can oonly speak for myself but I found people to be easy to talk to and get along with.

Is it a good college?

Personally I think it depends on your idea for a good college! If you want lectures who are passionate about the subject they lecture in, lecture who are flexible with their time to help you understand a certain topic then it is a good college (This is based on my expericence with the lectures who lecture me in DT104- Auctioneering, Valuation and Estate Agency? However, you might form a different opinion after your first year.

Any other questions dont heasitate to ask!

Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Cheers man,

Checked out the timetables and noticed that some classes are on at the same time on the same day. would it be a case that you choose which one to go to?

also, this might seem a bit weird but how do you get those DIT hoodies with you class and course under the crest? always see people wearing them as i work quite near bolton street. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Gary4279 wrote: »
    Cheers man,

Checked out the timetables and noticed that some classes are on at the same time on the same day. would it be a case that you choose which one to go to?

also, this might seem a bit weird but how do you get those DIT hoodies with you class and course under the crest? always see people wearing them as i work quite near bolton street. :P

Right I am not really sure what you mean by "some classes are on at the same time on the same day." I assume your talking in realtion to DT106, it is my understanding that DT106 has two options in it: Option 1 is Spatial Planning while option 2 is Environemental Management.
    See page 63 of 259 of this for more info: http://www.dit.ie/media/documents/admissions/2010_DIT_Prospectus.pdf

My guess would be that you'd have to choose from day one which you want to do.

The hoodies can be as far as I remember bought in the SU shop and they will customise it for you, however this could change for september.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Cheers, I forgot about that. thank very much. :D

Advertisement