Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet fly

Options
  • 12-07-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Every time I open the window within 30 seconds a fly comes in. It usually then tries with some degree of success to fly into my ear but cannot seem to exit from the window from whence it came. Why is this? And are there more of them around this year or is it just my imagination?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

socio wrote: »
    Every time I open the window within 30 seconds a fly comes in. It usually then tries with some degree of success to fly into my ear but cannot seem to exit from the window from whence it came. Why is this? And are there more of them around this year or is it just my imagination?

Have you had a shower recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

There were loads of flies around today in my garden, tiny little flies, for no apparent reason. They were going in my rabbits' shed even though it's really clean. I heard that you could put some mint in there to keep them away so I went to my mint plant, which had loads of flies on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭socio

What about venus-fly traps, do they actually catch them with any success?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

What about venus-fly traps, do they actually catch them with any success?

They don't eat very much. They might catch 1 or 2 flys a month.

Dont even think of keeping it as a pet. A fly is a wild insect and it belongs in the wild. I know they are cute, but keeping it as pet would not be right .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use carnivorous plants to help keep fly numbers down in my kitchen. The Pitcher Plants seem to be more successful than the Venus Flytraps.

kylith wrote: »
    I use carnivorous plants to help keep fly numbers down in my kitchen. The Pitcher Plants seem to be more successful than the Venus Flytraps.

Actually,the rain tody seems to have sent them back the pits of hell. Sounds good though, are pitcher plants easy to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Actually,the rain tody seems to have sent them back the pits of hell. Sounds good though, are pitcher plants easy to get?
    I got some in Lidl a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen them around for a while.

Here you go:http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/carnivorous-plants/112cat.aspx

I have a Venus Flytrap and something like a Sarracenia. I had something similar to the Nepenthes too, but it died a while back, my brother's one is going strong though. I thought they'd be much harder to look after than they are; just pop them on a sunny window and make sure you keep the pot in a bowl of water so they don't dry out. They're fantastic; the Sarracenia is completely clogged with little flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dont even think of keeping it as a pet. A fly is a wild insect and it belongs in the wild. I know they are cute, but keeping it as pet would not be right .

Eh.... what? Where do you think any pets came from?

Other pets have been tamed over time. There is just no taming a fly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Animals can be domesticated over a long time. Flies aren't domesticated.

kylith wrote: »
    Here you go:http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/carnivorous-plants/112cat.aspx

I have a Venus Flytrap and something like a Sarracenia. I had something similar to the Nepenthes too, but it died a while back, my brother's one is going strong though. I thought they'd be much harder to look after than they are; just pop them on a sunny window and make sure you keep the pot in a bowl of water so they don't dry out. They're fantastic; the Sarracenia is completely clogged with little flies.

Thanks kylith, you're a wealth of fly-eradicating info. I'm gonna get me one of those plants at the weekend. Revenge will be served green.

Advertisement