Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request ban on phrase "They turk our jerbs"

Options
  • 12-07-2010 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

For those who don't know, the phrase "they turk our jerbs" (They took our jobs) originated on the animated TV series South Park and refers to large groups of immigrants who steal employment from the natives.

The phrase has crept into After Hours (and even some other fora like the supposedly high-brow politics forum!!) and now pops up at least once in every thread even remotely related to the immigration issue.

Eg.1 : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63769941&highlight=took+our+jobs#post63769941

Eg.2. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65517387&highlight=took+our+jobs#post65517387

Eg.3 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65659306&highlight=took+our+jobs#post65659306

ad infinitum....

It kills any debate or discussion on the subject before it even gets started and trivialises the issue. Also the geniuses who post the phrase always think they are hilarious and the height of political satire.

The "yore ma" phrase was banned from AH for the same reason (suffocating discussion) and has now been completely eradicated. I don't see how this is different. Thoughts?

PS: To clarify a common myth on the issue
    "Immigrants are only doing jobs the Irish don't want". Wrong. Students have traditionally depended on working in fast food restaurants and waitressing/bar work but the import of foreign labour has meant these students are unemployed and unentitled to dole since they're in education. I can't remember the last time I was served by an Irish person at McDonalds.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I also propose a ban on "Only in America"

mostly because the phrase is most often an inaccuracy of fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'd also like to propose a ban on the word 'teh' which is a pejorative version of the word 'the'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

The "yore ma" phrase was banned from AH for the same reason (suffocating discussion) and has now been completely eradicated

No it hasn't!!!
    It's usually used in every second thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

In before the lock.
    That's just postcount++ing. What are these mods at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

I'd also like to propose a ban on the word 'teh' which is a pejorative version of the word 'the'.

You've completely missed my point. This is only a minor spelling error. It doesn't hamper discussion.
    No it hasn't!!!
    It's usually used in every second thread

The ban on "yore ma" is in place. It's up to the mods of AH to enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I like that phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

muhammad.jpg

Yeah.. it's Muhammad

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Perhaps it should go hand in hand with a ban on terms like "Pinko, PC brigade, bleeding heart, liberals, PC police" etc. on every single bloody thread.
    Perhaps They terk our jerbs is just a leftie riposte to that kind of crap which is posted again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Perhaps it should go hand in hand with a ban on terms like "Pinko, PC brigade, bleeding heart, liberals, PC police" etc. on every single bloody thread.
    Perhaps They terk our jerbs is just a leftie riposte to that kind of crap which is posted again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

Now, now.

It's an inviolate rule that the Right get dibs on asinine moaning during a recession. Us pinko bastids get to be the widely-derided voice of conscience during times of foolish boom spending.

Them is the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

stovelid wrote: »
    Them is teh rules.
    FYP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

stovelid wrote: »
    Now, now.

It's an inviolate rule that the Right get dibs on asinine moaning during a recession. Us pinko bastids get to be the widely-derided voice of conscience during times of foolish boom spending.

Them is the rules.
    Jeez, that rings so true it's scary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I would also like to point out that the accusation that after turking our jerbs that they eated our swans is based on an isolated incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How about we don't ban any phrases except "yore ma?" Why don't we accept that unoriginal idiots will be unoriginal idiots? Eh? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seems a fair swap in fairness. I'm a do gooder though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

snyper wrote: »
    I would also like to point out that the accusation that after turking our jerbs that they eated our swans is based on an isolated incident.

They must have eated a lot of swans for this to happen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And again! And again!

Like the spoon, these expressions cycle from original to tedious to hilarious depending on the number of times they're used and, most importantly, the timing thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Boards = Bureaucracy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL This thread is a classic already! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

closing the thread because its gone way off topic and is no longer feedback.

to the OP , the moderation of that phrase would be best left to the moderators of the local forums. If they wish to treat it as trolling then they have every right to do so, if they prefer to view it as a bit of humour then again that should be the local mod's decision, as long as they make their decision clear and remain consistant (hopefully discuss it with the other mods before making a decision) I dont think it requires admin or cmod involvement.

If the mods feel it should be dealt with at a different level, please feel free to bring it up with your cmod.

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement