Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concert Photography

• 12-07-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I know theres already a thread, but it's old and I wanted to ask a few different things....

So I'm getting a 30D and some other bits, but I'm wondering what lenses are better suited to this, something fast I imagine with a massive aperture...but im in the market for new lenses so I'd like to get something that would dsuit

also was wondering how does one go about getting into doing this type of thing, whether its for profession or hobby, do you just go along to say the academy and go hey I'd like to take photos here, or do you need to know people etc

I'd appreciate any advice of info any of you have through experience with things like this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

have a read of a faq i wrote a few years ago:
    www.aaaphotos.org/faq.htm

some help in there, but basically, it's virtually impossible (even more so in ireland) to a professional concert photographer. You can be a photojournalist and work for a paper and get assigned concerts every now and then or you can do music photography as a hobby and shoot lots of unsigned bands and some bigger gigs if you work really hard at it, make lots of connections, network, shoot lots, work hard etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

I was thinking just as a hobby, take some pics of bands playing in smaller venues around the country, I've a strong interest in music and photography....

anyways cheers for the link

I was thinking just as a hobby, take some pics of bands playing in smaller venues around the country, I've a strong interest in music and photography....

anyways cheers for the link

then the best way of starting is simply contacting bands (via their myspace or facebook) and ask if you can come down to their show and take some pics. then when you start doing that, start networking and you'll soon find people asking you to come to their shows if your anyway decent at doing photos.

that's how i started about 10 years ago and this weekend i was up on stages at oxegen with an AAA pass because of my love of music photography and music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Just new to this myself... Not concerts but have shoot some low light indoor training sessions etc.

The nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) is a great wee lens but keep in mind on the 30d its is the film slr equivalent of a 80mm. I find i could do with a 28mm or 35 mm but they are 2-3 times the price.

Another lens im looking at is the sigma 18-50mm ex 2.8 im looking at secod hand and they can be gotten for 150ish. new however costs around the 300 mark. I havent used it but looks to be a good wee lens.

Your budget will determine what lenses are available to you. The nifty fifty is a must have due to its price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

DotOrg wrote: »
    then the best way of starting is simply contacting bands (via their myspace or facebook) and ask if you can come down to their show and take some pics. then when you start doing that, start networking and you'll soon find people asking you to come to their shows if your anyway decent at doing photos.

that's how i started about 10 years ago and this weekend i was up on stages at oxegen with an AAA pass because of my love of music photography and music

yeah, a mate of mine does photography at oxegen every year now too, i think i'll start doing that now though, get in touch with a few bands and stuff, try get the ball rolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

First things first, get a nifty fifty (f1.8 50mm - nice and cheap too). I also use a 24-70mm f2.8.
    Some venues are good with letting you snap away with a DSLR but don't expect to saunter in to the Olympia to see one of your favourite bands and not expect to get an earful from security.

In all my time taking gig photos I've not had one response from any Irish band I've contacted - maybe I'm blacklisted or something:( But in fairness I haven't been excessive at this practice, plus I don't tend to take photos of local gigs and never got in touch with the local bands, though I do know a few.

In all my time taking gig photos I've not had one response from any Irish band I've contacted - maybe I'm blacklisted or something:(

not sure what you're asking them then. i find it very easy to look up the gig listings for a week, find a show i'd like to shoot, then e-mail the band saying i'd like to shoot the gig in exchange for a few photos and it's so rare that a band who are looking for all the attention they can get, would say no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

not sure what you're asking them then. i find it very easy to look up the gig listings for a week, find a show i'd like to shoot, then e-mail the band saying i'd like to shoot the gig in exchange for a few photos and it's so rare that a band who are looking for all the attention they can get, would say no

Yep, I've kept it nice and simple and in good time, enough for them to read and respond. Persistance isn't (or at least wasn't) my forté so I just kept on as I was with taking pictures at gigs of bigger bands I like.

Advertisement