Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No BER rating on rented property

Options
  • 12-07-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I had been looking to rent a house for months and finally found one.
    The interesting thing is the houses listed for rent on Daft.ie do not mention a BER rating. You would have thought that if they had a good BER rating that would be a selling point. None of the auctioneers mentioned a BER rating when showing the property.
    The house we finally decided to rent is about 10 years old. We figured it would be warmer than older houses. We never asked for or got a BER rating.

All of this makes me wonder what is the point of BER other than funding SEI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

A great deal.

The important bit is that we don't live in a communist country. SEAI can't force the market consider variables which it doesn't consider and I would point out that if you didn't even ask for one at the viewing stage, its hardly SEAI's fault. I mean if the energy rating and therefore how cheap it is to heat is important to you, you would ask.

The BER should be in place when the lease is signed.
    If you never got a BER the law has been broken, but obviously not by yourself.

And no offence, but knowing whats been going on for the last while I would not go for a 10 year old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Building control has responsibility for the enforcement of this afiak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

muffler wrote: »
    Building control has responsibility for the enforcement of this afiak.
    And they don't enforce it so to answer the first question there is no point in the system without enforcement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had been looking to rent a house for months and finally found one.
    The interesting thing is the houses listed for rent on Daft.ie do not mention a BER rating. You would have thought that if they had a good BER rating that would be a selling point. None of the auctioneers mentioned a BER rating when showing the property.
    The house we finally decided to rent is about 10 years old. We figured it would be warmer than older houses. We never asked for or got a BER rating.

A couple of things come to mind....
    1. Daft.ie, etc, are only advertisers - they can't force anyone to put in a BER, and don't want to turn away any paying client (ad..)
    2. I think economics has a bigger say in the issue than anything else. People have XX to spend, per month, and therefore BER will do what........apart from making high BER houses more expensive........which puts you back to square 1....
    3. ..don't forget location, location, location...........that will have bigger influence than BER, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The only way BER will increase the rental value of a house is if people learn to consider a high BER as an increase in value.

You need landlords to go "My house has a good BER, so it must be worth more."
    Then you need tennants to go "this house is worth higher rent cos of its BER"

There is no evidence of this happening.
    There is also no reason to believe this will happen if BER is used as in advertisement . So assuming that it will make things more expensive is a bit of a big step.

Also, if people have XX to spend a month, then they would do well to pay attention to the BER as generally a better BER will mean less money spent on heating the house.
    Obviously, Location is still the primary factor for renters/purchasers.
    But I personally would like to see BER made available as part of the selection process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mark sim wrote: »
    The person who rent the house or sell the house is required to get an energy rating carried out or and to provide prospective ,reliable and recommended buyer or tenants on Ber rating on rented property.this will help to acknowledge on Ber rating increase or decrease issue as well.
    The thread was started 364 days ago and Im sure the OP has been sorted by now.

Please dont grave dig old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement