Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently Arrested

Options
  • 12-07-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I do not have a solicitor. How much does it cost to hire a solicitor for a once of summons for possession of ecstasy for personal use? And how do i go about finding one?

Is it necessary to get in contact with the garda that arrested me before the summons? he gave me his name and number but I appear to have lost it.

Any information would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

At your first appearance in the District Court you can ask the judge to grant you free legal aid.

citizensinformation.ie is a good resource to read up on this/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Also, the Garda's name will be on the summons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Find out what District Court you have been summoned to. Go there when the court is sitting. Do so at least a few days in advance of your own appearance. You will quickly spot which solicitors are dealing with legal aid. Approach them and tell them your story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

OP - if you are employed you may not qualify for legal aid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

just to let you know,prepare for a fine of around 200e mate.very young lad i work with got exactly this for more or less the exact summons.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 howaya2010

thanks for the info
    kerrylad1 wrote: »
    just to let you know,prepare for a fine of around 200e mate.very young lad i work with got exactly this for more or less the exact summons.:mad:

Did your mate get a conviction AND a 200e fine or was it just a fine?

Does anyone know if there is a point in contacting the gaurd that arrested me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

delancey42 wrote: »
    OP - if you are employed you may not qualify for legal aid

A first offence for drugs will likely not get legal aid anyway. If you have money to waste on drugs you can pay your own fees and you aren't in jeopardy either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

he got both.he had 6 months to pay and if he didnt he'd a got a few weeks in prison.Of course,he just paid the fine and that was that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Just as a side point, I notice on the US I-92 landing cards, there is a question along the lines of "have you ever been arrested or prosecuted for drug possession".

Would the fact the OP will most likely have a record diminish his chance of entry to the US ?

yes i think a criminal record means you cant go to the US or oz. This is something i want to avoid not only because of that but because of the effect it might have on my future job prospects.

Does anybody have any experience of not getting convicted but just paying a fine or making a donation? there were 2 pills in my possesion at the time and i have never been to court before

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

howaya2010 wrote: »
    yes i think a criminal record means you cant go to the US or oz. This is something i want to avoid not only because of that but because of the effect it might have on my future job prospects.

Does anybody have any experience of not getting convicted but just paying a fine or making a donation? there were 2 pills in my possesion at the time and i have never been to court before

OP I dont think it's like road traffic law where you can pay a fine to avoid prosecution. It will end up in court if you do get summons.

Have you received the summons yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Whynop

sesna wrote: »
    OP I dont think there is any fine you can pay for possession of controlled substance. It's not like road traffic law where you can pay a fine to avoid prosecution.

Have you received the summons yet?

Will probably get a fine plus the probation act? Struck out on a technicality at best, €500 fine and conviction at worst.

Still, I suppose you still have to answer immigration questions regarding arrests/court appearances/convictions involving drugs. Then again, do you need to say anything if you've got the probation act?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

howaya2010 wrote: »

I think crimes of criminal turpitude and drug offences and perjury are crimes you can not go to USA for. Minor offences are not of great concern but I suppose they can interview you about those if they choose.

It seems very unfair that your are going to lose an oppourtunity to live in America or Austrailia and Thailand and many other countries over a minor first offence.

Harsh lesson.

If it is possible to get it struck out then look at doing some voluntary work in a drug clinic to sway the court. Once you don't have the conviction it's not such an issue.

I was arrested last weekend. How long does it take for a summons to arrive in the post normally?

pirelli wrote: »

If it is possible to get it struck out then look at doing some voluntary work in a drug clinic to sway the court. Once you don't have the conviction it's not such an issue.

I would pretty much do anything not to get a conviction. Getting legal advise is the next step. I don’t mean to sound like an idiot but how do I go about getting legal advise?. Obviously I need to contact a solicitor. Should I just go to the court a few days before and look for a solicitor?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement