Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoovering the inside of a computer

Options
  • 12-07-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Anyone out there use a hoover to clean the innards of a
    really dusty desktop?

Apparently you're not supposed to do it, as it can build
    static charge and damage components.

I've done it loads of times, and never had any bother.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If the hoover has a metal pipe then yes I'd be wary of using it insode a machine but plastic hoses are more popular, I have just finished 14 PCs and have another 20 or so to do in the next week or so and all will be sparkling inside when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ive done it a few times, never had any problems. I never let the hoover come into direct contact with any internal components
    Not really sure how else you're supposed to clean. I know you can buy the compressed air cans, but surely they run the same risk of static discharge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hello All,

Anyone out there use a hoover to clean the innards of a
    really dusty desktop?

Apparently you're not supposed to do it, as it can build
    static charge and damage components.

I've done it loads of times, and never had any bother.

Thoughts?

Chap on a while ago that hoovered inside his case and was wondering why his harddrive stopped working straight after doing this... :pac:

Can happen. Would stick with compressed air myself but there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I try to be careful, and use the little brush head attachment
    on the hoover when I'm hoovering the inside of a computer.

The next time I have to use a hoover, I think iI'll make
    an ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) strap for my hoover.

A nice bit of insulated copper wire from a mains cable
    and two bits of tape should do the trick. I'll tape one end
    of the copper wire to the end of the hoover nozzle and the other
    end to the radiator. Should help.

I have the compressed air cans, but I find that these
    can blow dust into very hard to reach places.

I don't like the fact that the can will sometimes eject propellant
    on it's own without the air, depending on the angle you hold it at.
    This is butane, I think, and goes all over the components.
    It evaporates straight away, but it thermally shocks any surface
    it comes in contact with i.e. can of lynx under the arm after P.E.
    in secondary school ow!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Be very very very careful your Mrs doesn't see you using the hoover!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I use a nail gun air compressor with the air-gun attachment. Higher pressure than airduster cans, reusable and doesn't cost a fortune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

If the hoover has a metal pipe then yes I'd be wary of using it insode a machine but plastic hoses are more popular

'scuse me?? no no no, you're much more likely to build up a static charge with a plastic tube than with a metal tube. that's the magic of static electricity!

and uh yeah, i've recently had a problem, i always hoover the innards of my pc. recently I physically saw and heard the jolt from the <plastic tubed> hoover to my motherboard. had to replace it. :(

if you do wanna keep hoovering (as i still do) turn off pc, leave it plugged in (earthed), hold the hoover by the nozzle part, and keep your other hand on the metal case. that should do ya.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kids - Can of compressed air and Anti-static wristbands, for the love of god! You can take the chance, but it's your own fault if your PC breaks down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

For the cost of the cans of compressed air you would be better off getting a little compressor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Kids - Can of compressed air and Anti-static wristbands, for the love of god! You can take the chance, but it's your own fault if your PC breaks down

So you say no using a hoover at all?

I use an anti-static wristband, and an anti-static mat when I'm
    working on any computer. They are a basic requirement, should
    have mentioned it in my original post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You can get ESD vacuums for about 300 quid, with fairly fine static dissipative nozzels.

http://www.cleaner-systems.co.uk/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=34&gclid=CPqByMDx7aICFR4B4wodxjuFbA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Lu Tze wrote: »
    For the cost of the cans of compressed air you would be better off getting a little compressor

Thing is, air contains water (especially in this damp wet country). You have a bleed hole in the bottom of a compressor tank for You to let out the water, You'd be suprised how quickly it builds up too. Cans of air contain alcohol which evaporates instantly being the best option.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ressem wrote: »
    You can get ESD vacuums for about 300 quid, with fairly fine static dissipative nozzels.

http://www.cleaner-systems.co.uk/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=34&gclid=CPqByMDx7aICFR4B4wodxjuFbA

Only the cleanroom-certified models are that pricey, the portable anti-ESD models are €150 and up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

I like the sound of the fan when you put the hoover on it

I used to have a fan with blue LEDs in it and it would light up if i put the hoover on it

gu10 wrote: »
    I like the sound of the fan when you put the hoover on it

I used to have a fan with blue LEDs in it and it would light up if i put the hoover on it

Lol, i was only doing that the other day with my golden orb, Hit some top speed with the hoover, and the LEDs lighting.

Ah come on lads, no need for ESD vacuums and the such, hoovering gently around without whacking anything and there's a very small chance anything detrimental will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know where I can buy cans of compressed air on-line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Terry wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know where I can buy cans of compressed air on-line?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=compressed+air&x=0&y=0
    that wasn't difficult. it's just as cheap to buy it in shops here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Which shops sell them here ?

Maplins and PC World charge up to 23 euro for a small can of compressed air!!!! The PC World ones are also crap. Very little pressure and run out quickly.

Though lately Maplins have a sale on and are doing a jumbo can for 22. Buy 1 get 1 Free. Still a rip.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I *think* Viking Direct have them...

Edit - found it :)

€15.99 a pop though, down to €14.99 if you order 5 or more.

There's also a smaller one (200ml can) but it's only €2 cheaper a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Tesco (the bigger stores only I think) stock cans of compressed air. I got one recently in Maynooth- €5.99 (once again - I think!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I got a can for €6 in Tesco Tullamore, though its quite a big store so maybe not in every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Right click on dawson street have them for 7 euro (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

where can you get an air compressor for cheap online?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When Im getting stuff from Kenable, I generally get one of these, need 'em for the PJ

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

€6.90 at IT Direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

A little OT, but I use a rocket blower myself. Not as powerful naturally, but never runs out! Avaliable from any camera store.

Advertisement